Changes in routing

your not wrong there!,playing with base camp last night ended up with laptop being slammed shut in frustration,using the pencil to move the line around and then trying to zoom out to have an overview of where to go next seemed imposible?

If you stick with it i feel sure that you will master it, its like anything software related you have to put the time and effort in to learn it, its just that some people learn a bit quicker and retain the info for longer than others.

This may help. not sure if you are pc or mac user but links are to both choose the right one,

http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_MAC.pdf

http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf

your not wrong there!,playing with base camp last night ended up with laptop being slammed shut in frustration,using the pencil to move the line around and then trying to zoom out to have an overview of where to go next seemed imposible?

YouTube videos are the way to go. Here's one to get you started showing zooming & panning techniques whilst building a route.
https://youtu.be/rq3P-AtB45A

Mapsource has never worked on a Mac so there is no choice but Basecamp if you use a Mac.

As for unsupported, I think this is a non issue. Mapsource works fine but has not changed for years so its not supported in the sense that it is not being continually adapted. If, like me ,you find Mapsource meets your needs it is a good option. If you like what Basecamp offers use that, both systems work so it really is a matter of what suits the individual. If a Mapsource user has a problem with an installed version of Mapsource they can still download a new working version from Garmin. So in effect that is exactly the same as having a problem with Basecamp. If your version of Basecamp went wrong you would need to download a new one from Garmin they don't support by offering help to fix the problem on your computer.

John

Garmin don't support BaseCamp issues?

YouTube videos are the way to go. Here's one to get you started showing zooming & panning techniques whilst building a route.
https://youtu.be/rq3P-AtB45A

+1 for learning with Youtube videos this linked video is very good at explaining Basecamp functionality.

This way is basically how i build my routes (others will say dragging the route is easier, horses for courses) i find this way works for me.

Garmin don't support BaseCamp issues?

Not in the sense that they fix what you have. As I said if it fails you will be told to re install and you can do just the same if something goes wrong with your Mapsource. I agree they keep updating Basecamp but as Mapsource just works the fact it is not changing is a bonus!

John

If you stick with it i feel sure that you will master it, its like anything software related you have to put the time and effort in to learn it, its just that some people learn a bit quicker and retain the info for longer than others.

This may help. not sure if you are pc or mac user but links are to both choose the right one,

http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_MAC.pdf

http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf

thanks will have a look

Rather than just opening a laptop and just mucking about, it's often best to sit down and create a route that'll you'll actually use. This doesn't have to be some exotic three week tour of Italy and Spain, which bods sometimes start on five minutes before they depart and then panic when they can't crack it in 10 seconds, but a simple say morning or day ride around roads you are perhaps familiar with. Add in a couple of roads that you don't know so you well, too. That way you'll quickly learn how and why everything works. Not least, you'll learn how the route(s) you plot integrate with the GPS device.

None of it, whether it's Mapsource or BaseCamp, is the monster some people like to make it out to be. Trust me.

If you get stuck, the chances are you'll not be the first person to encounter the problem. Have a look here or just Google your question in a few words. Similarly, look at You Tube videos; some of them really are very good.

Whilst there is no definitive right and wrong way to do things, there are some very simple basics that near enough make life easier for everyone. You'll discover what these are as you go along. But remember, when all is said and done, it's all based on Personal (with a capital 'P') computing and on a Personal GPS device. If you are happy with your settings, route creation and ultimate useage one way and like the results it gives you, then do it that way.

Rather than just opening a laptop and just mucking about, it's often best to sit down and create a route that'll you'll actually use. This doesn't have to be some exotic three week tour of Italy and Spain, which bods sometimes start on five minutes before they depart and then panic when they can't crack it in 10 seconds, but a simple say morning or day ride around roads you are perhaps familiar with. Add in a couple of roads that you don't know so you well, too. That way you'll quickly learn how and why everything works. Not least, you'll learn how the route(s) you plot integrate with the GPS device.

None of it, whether it's Mapsource or BaseCamp, is the monster some people like to make it out to be. Trust me.

If you get stuck, the chances are you'll not be the first person to encounter the problem. Have a look here or just Google your question in a few words. Similarly, look at You Tube videos; some of them really are very good.

Whilst there is no definitive right and wrong way to do things, there are some very simple basics that near enough make life easier for everyone. You'll discover what these are as you go along. But remember, when all is said and done, it's all based on Personal (with a capital 'P') computing and on a Personal GPS device. If you are happy with your settings, route creation and ultimate useage one way and like the results it gives you, then do it that way.

Sound advice there, I would stress the use it on roads you know well first bit. That makes it far easier to see if the route you made is really the sort of thing you want. On unfamiliar roads it would be easy to assume its OK because you don't know there are better roads about.

John

When I first opened up BaseCamp after years in Mapsource, I thought "What the hell have I done". This feeling of dread was compounded in that I'd gone for a triple whammy:

1. First time using a Mac and I'm a complete IT numpty. I really had no idea how it worked but was delighted that it turned on very quickly.

2. First time using BaseCamp.

3. I had six or seven blokes breathing down my neck for routes for a several day Wander into France I'd arranged.

In short, I had no choice but to learn. A morning spent discovering that a Mac does a lot of things differently (better, perhaps) than a PC and that BaseCamp on a Mac behaves differently to Mapsource on a PC, left me worried.... so I stopped... fired up the TV and watched 80 minutes of live Premiership rugby. In other words, I relaxed. I then went back and suddenly - very quickly, in fact - everything made sense. What I thought was frustrating if not impossible was now easy. In short, it worked. The routes were created and everything was OK. I also remembered that years before I had excactly the same 'Road to Damascus' experience with my PC and Mapsource.

One thing that certainly does seem to help is using BaseCamp on a Mac with a very large screen. Just by way of experiment I tried it on a conventional Windows, modestly sized screen, laptop with a keypad mouse. It was not great. Using a mouse made it better, for sure. Exactly the same when I use my MacBook Air, running BaseCamp; it's much easier with a proper mouse. My old PC laptop was fine running Mapsource. There again, I suspect that's all only a learning process.

Basecamp on a pc has a few major differences than when you are using it with a Mac, drag and dropping of a route is one, and from what i have been told, using it on a pc is not as easy (i would not know i dont use a mac) But i have no real problems using it on a pc and can plan routes as quick using basecamp as i can with any other piece of software thats out there, it really isnt that hard to learn if you are prepaired to put a little time and effort into it, and it also has its advantages compared to other software.

On my Mac, I can drag and then drop a route by two methods:

1. Using the route shaping tool, as you might expect.

2. In addition (and possibly very oddly) by using the 'hand' function, most usually used to drag the map around.

On my Mac, I can drag and then drop a route by two methods:

1. Using the route shaping tool, as you might expect.

2. In addition (and possibly very oddly) by using the 'hand' function, most usually used to drag the map around.

Exactly what i meant , you can do it on a Mac but not on a pc in the real sense of drag and drop, I should have made it a bit clearer.

Exactly what i meant , you can do it on a Mac but not on a pc in the real sense of drag and drop, I should have made it a bit clearer.

Which is one reason I stick with Mapsource, drag and drop is easy even on my travelling notepad (without a mouse.) Mapsource also automatically makes all my via points unannounced so I don't have to do that as an extra job. I am sure Basecamp does all sorts of clever things but they are not things I need so the disadvantages will always outweigh any unused advantage. I do keep Basecamp updated in the hope that they will one day bring its functionality on a PC up to that on a Mac.

John

OMG some one close the thread QUICK before we start the, odd recalculation and skipping waypoints problem all over again. :blast:blast:blast:rob:rob
just joking.

No, not at all. I think you are exactly right.

I have never been quite sure if my ability to use the 'hand' to move the maps around AND use it as a route shaping tool is;

1. A glitch

2. A glitch unique to me and my Mac and BaseCamp

3. Something to be celebrated or cursed

I know it can happen (at least to me) and I'm sort of ready for it. One day, I'll talk to Garmin about it.

No, not at all. I think you are exactly right.

I have never been quite sure if my ability to use the 'hand' to move the maps around AND use it as a route shaping tool is;

1. A glitch

2. A glitch unique to me and my Mac and BaseCamp

3. Something to be celebrated or cursed

I know it can happen (at least to me) and I'm sort of ready for it. One day, I'll talk to Garmin about it.

Standard on Mac's, the standard panning hand changes into a pointed finger when hovered above the route. You can also move waypoints using this method.

so,thanks for all replies and suggestions and after messing with base camp etc i went back to basics,edited the route i was having trouble with in motogoloco with more waypoints around the particular part of the route which wasnt playing ball.Downloaded via mapsource onto the nav 6 and low and behold its exactly as it should be happy days and so simple in the end.

Great that you've sorted it out and that you remain happy using MotoGoLoco over BaseCamp or Mapsource; that's the joy of Personal (with a capital 'P') computers, bods can do things whichever way suits them best.

The only problem I can see is that you'll never be quite sure if your MotoGoLoco routes have translated properly until you view them in Garmin's own software. This requires you creating the route in MotoGoLoco, displaying it in Mapsource or BaseCamp to check it. Then if necessary going back to MotoGoLoco to amend it by adding more shaping points, then repeating the process until you are happy. That's a potentially extended process, negated if you conduct everything in BaseCamp or Mapsource from the start.

yea i get that point but when opened in mapsource its straight lines anyway,doesnt take long to transfer to device and then compare with the motogoloco route originally planned,just glad i found a resolution that i am capable of doing:D

Back
Top Bottom