Route avoidances in Motogoloco - How do they work in a Nav VI?

Nutty

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the Nav VI (and / or other Garmin devices) deals with avoidances on routes planned in motogoloco? If you plan a route avoiding all motorways, and sticking to back roads in motogoloco, and have curvy roads/ avoid motorways on the device, I noticed at the weekend that it still routed us through towns/ down roads that I definitely didn't plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how the Nav VI (and / or other Garmin devices) deals with avoidances on routes planned in motogoloco? If you plan a route avoiding all motorways, and sticking to back roads in motogoloco, and have curvy roads/ avoid motorways on the device, I noticed at the weekend that it still routed us through towns/ down roads that I definitely didn't plan.

I always assumed that when you import into the Nav V (that's what I've got) from Motogoloco, the Nav just takes exactly what it's been given...is that not the case?

I always assumed that when you import into the Nav V (that's what I've got) from Motogoloco, the Nav just takes exactly what it's been given...is that not the case?

Nope, it applies the avoidances/ type of roads in the device. No matter what combination I tried, it still sent me through the middle of fekkin Exeter on Friday.:blast:D

same here coming back from the west country few months ago pal says i wil lead using cury routes,what a crap route as you say through every town going it was only as we were heading for bristol i took over!

....coming back from the west country few months ago pal says i wil lead using cury routes,what a crap route as you say through every town going it was only as we were heading for bristol i took over!

One more 'r' and you'd have been routed through Brick Lane and Southall.

Yep. I've got this to work. Export the planned ride as a KML file, convert to GPX, manually move onto device. Import as trip on the device. If it doesn't prompt you to import, go to tracks and use the '"create trip" function.

Caveat - as proven on a Nav V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I've got this to work. Export the planned ride as a KML file, convert to GPX, manually move onto device. Import as trip on the device. If it doesn't prompt you to import, go to tracks and use the '"create trip" function.

Thank you, DottyDog.

One question on behalf of this section:

When you say
Export the planned ride as a KML file, convert to GPX
I assume you intend the bod to export the MotoGoLoco produced KML file to Mapsource or BaseCamp, then convert it there from KML to GPX? Having converted it, then send the GPX route to the GPS device?

Thank you, DottyDog.

One question on behalf of this section:

When you say I assume you intend the bod to export the MotoGoLoco produced KML file to Mapsource or BaseCamp, then convert it there from KML to GPX? Having converted it, then send the GPX route to the GPS device?

Nope. I can't get BaseCamp to work for me. I avoid it at all cost. Export directly from MotoGoLoco as KML and then use one of the many tools available on the internet to convert to GPX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never used motogoloco so not sure how you have created your route, I always create a track (which never changes of my intended route whenever i build one on Basecamp and apply it to the map on my device as i send the route to my device, so when i am following the magenta routing i can see the track with it.

Should the track disappear it means the device has decided i should go a different way. when this happens i zoom out on the device to find the track and find my way back to it.

Or just follow the track on the map.

The only fairly foolproof method I've found is to create enough waypoints to force the Garmin into taking that particular route.
There's no way of knowing how the Garmin classifies European roads in accordance with it's & Basecamp's roads avoidance.
For instance I've no idea what "Interstates" "Major Highways" "State Highways" etc are in the UK. I can guess!

Back
Top Bottom