Carole Nash money making

Fourier

Reaction score
Just had an instructive conversation with Carole Nash.

With 8 weeks til renewal I sold my triumph tiger and bought a GSA. Carole Nash wanted over 200 quid extra til the end of my policy- then over 600 quid for next years policy (a 400% increase from last year!).

I politely declined the opportunity and said I would cancel my policy instead. But they want £50 to do that! Although they did offer to deduct a £14 return of premium! If I leave the policy to run a) I suspect I will remain in the insurance database as the owner but b) more importantly they won't give me proof of my no claims until it's cancelled, so I can't pass it on to my new insurers.

First time I've come across charges of this order. Should I just get over myself? It's not the money, it's the sense they're cashing in when they know they can that's so irritating...

More and more brokers are doing this. I have a good relationship with Carole Nash and normally speak to a supervisor level bod if I have a problem. Most I've ever paid is £35 quid to add extra bikes.

I guess I (now) expect a charge when adding something or someone to a policy - but never been asked to pay extra money to end my insurance early ! Doesn't endear me to their firm the next time I'm looking for cover, but I guess they have calculated that the additional earnings are worth it and that there's no material harm to their business as a result.

If you don't cancel the policy and something happens Involving a claim whilst your policy is current you'll end up potentially being liable as far as I believe.

Yes, I'd heard the same - that's why they've got you over a barrel. I've paid up with irritation. It will make no difference obviously until they find the point at which ALL their customers are hacked off.

It's called leg over..
but in their defence just called Carole Nash & got excellent service & a very reasonable price on both Motorcycles & Commercial van policy.

Its a by-product of the comparison sites.
They have to come up with a low bottom-line in order to get the business, so then they make their profit by extra charges.

Carole Nash are a bunch of chimps - you are best shot of them.

I am also hacked off with CN charging me £40 to switch a bike over, so i have decided to renew with BeMoto, see my last post.

But you never know how good the cover is until you make a claim.

I have just had a similar conversation with Swinton

1 Month left on policy and as I have swapped bikes i spoke to them and they wanted £35 to change the bike ( Ok they all do that admin charge) then £100 on top for the new bike for the remaining month. Renewal for the XR was only £148 for the year !

I have insured the Hyper elsewhere and rang to cancel with Swinton. I was to receive £4 back as it is a month early but £35 fee to cancel FFS

Told them they must be having some sort of a laugh and i would just leave it live for the next month !

Then they said they would wave the fee if i was complaining about their service and as such policy cancelled with no charge !

So that was that or so i thought

I did all the stuff to insure the new bike and answered the question asked about aftermarket exhausts I.E i declared it and as per the question is it more or less than 5% power increase as a result ( its less Ducati say 4% ) Job done and paid for the years policy.

Had a call yesterday from them asking what make of exhaust. Told them it was a Termignoni and was then put on hold whilst they spoke to the underwriters.

Thats no problem they said and no increase in the premium as a result but they insisted on listing the Termi and as such £35 admin fee

They don't do themselves any favours do they

Sounds like Carole Nash are increasing their mid term policy change fees to see how far they can push them.

It costs them next to nothing other than the time it takes one of their bods to talk to the customer and press a few keys, so 10 minutes max. So a £10 fee would be reasonable.... but as we all know they are in business to take as much of our money as they can get away with.

The simple answer would be to vote with our feet and tell them why we are leaving, maybe then they would reconsider their 'fees' :thumb

.... Had a call yesterday from them asking what make of exhaust. Told them it was a Termignoni and was then put on hold whilst they spoke to the underwriters.

Thats no problem they said and no increase in the premium as a result but they insisted on listing the Termi and as such £35 admin fee
Surely they can't 'create' an admin fee for something they were aware of when you took the policy out in the first place.... or have I missed something here?

Surely they can't 'create' an admin fee for something they were aware of when you took the policy out in the first place.... or have I missed something here?

I think its the price of the Termi (It was eye watering) as the question on the actual proposal form was just something along the lines of "After market exhaust YES or NO, if YES MORE or LESS than 5% increase in power "but they had me over a barrel really as the call was just i was collecting the bike ! Bastards

Hey ho I have the bike and I am happy but will be more careful come renewal

I think its the price of the Termi (It was eye watering) as the question on the actual proposal form was just something along the lines of "After market exhaust YES or NO, if YES MORE or LESS than 5% increase in power "but they had me over a barrel really as the call was just i was collecting the bike ! Bastards

Hey ho I have the bike and I am happy but will be more careful come renewal

Did you declare your mug as an extra :p

Expensive doesn't mean good cover either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely true , GEM seem to always come out cheapest for car breakdown recovery yet from personal experience having used them twice they are very good. But also from several buddies I know who've had to claim with Carole Nash and use their European repatriation services they have been excellent to deal with.

This includes My best riding buddy who had an accident on diesel just 2 weeks before we were going on a euro trip. The bike was deemed a write off by Pidcocks a few days after the incident . Trip over ? NO - thanks to CN paying it out a very good sum very quickly and thanks to UKGSer a replacement GS was found . All sorted in a total of 8 working days.

We all want value for money but it's hard to put a value on good cover until you actually need it. I stick with CN , challenge the premium at renewal time if there is an increase so I don't feel I'm paying over the odds . So long as they are fairly competitive on price and they continue to include some items that are extras on other policies I'll stick with them :thumb

The problem is People want cheap cover , not good cover :augie

Agreed, my personal beef is the fact they charge £40 for a 5 minute phone call!!

The fact that my new insurer is cheaper is a bonus? Besides, expensive doesn't mean good either as someone else mentioned..

Back
Top Bottom