Life after the GS fuel strip saga

R1200JK

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this with any 2009 (or earlier) R1200GS owners who, like me, were suffering from the dreaded fuel strip failure and consequent flashing "fuel" warning.

I had tried the BBQ piezo solution with limited success so I was looking for a permanent solution. It was my understanding that the fuel tank was modified (to part No 16117702709) on the 2007/8/9/10 bikes by angling the fuel pump assembly access cover to prevent water collecting around the fuel pump controller and causing premature failures. RealOEM.com showed that whilst my 2009 (and earlier) GS had the dreaded fuel strip fitted inside this tank, the 2010 GS had the same tank yet was fitted with a fuel float (Lever Sensor part No 16148554064) and that this fuel float was attached to the same filler neck as my 09 bike.

So I ordered the Lever Sensor from the local BMW dealer (£96.32), removed the fuel strip and fitted the Lever Sensor in its place. The new sensor just clips onto the fuel filler neck and plugs into the socket left by the fuel strip. If you decide to do this, make sure it's correctly orientated as once pushed fully down onto the filler neck it locks into place. It will only fully fit in one position.

Obviously, once installed, the bike's ECU is expecting to see a heated fuel strip and this is where Henk Poskam's €78.95 ingenious float converter comes into play http://hposkam.nl/en/product/bmw-vlotter-converter/ Although primarily produced for the GSA, this was the converter's first installation on a GS.

Henk's converter interfaces between the Lever Sensor and the bike's ECU so the bike thinks it's looking at a fuel strip. After installation I used my GS911 to reset all the fault reports & errors and to my delight the display was no longer flashing. The GS911 may not be necessary though as Henk advises that the bike's ECU will eventually recognise the converter. I checked the calibration with a full to empty tank and it works!! No more flashing fuel warnings which is just as well as I have a 5600 mile Norway trip coming up.

I do have some pictures showing the installation on my PC but method for uploading them to this forum escapes me.

If your GS has the 16117702709 fuel tank then this should work for you too. Good luck.

Yeah - it was this thread about the GSA that started me wondering if it would work on my 09 GS. I've spent a year relying on the trip meter between fill ups (just like my other bikes actually) and then zapping it with the BBQ starter when the triangle & fuel warning returned and started fragging my patience!

I've yet to fully assess how accurate the "Range" prediction is but I have made a crude assessment of the fuel capacity bars by brimming the tank and letting the engine run then noting the display bars. Then siphoning 5 litres out and repeating, then another 5 litres and finally another 5 litres.

Assuming the brimmed tank holds 20 litres then this should represent full, three quarters (15L) , half (10L) and quarter (5L). The fuel bars were as follows :-

Full - 8 out of 8 bars
Three Quarter full - 6 bars
Half full - 3 bars
Quarter full - 1 bar, yellow triangle and flashing fuel warning.

Refilling returned it to 8 bars !!

I can live with this :)

Sadly hposkam has now ceased trading and the website has closed.
I have a 2008 GS and would like to do the same as JK.
Is there anything else out there that does the same as Henks converter?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Yes - I spotted this too, disappointing, especially as it worked. I'm not aware of any other similar device but I did contact Henk to find out why he had ceased trading and he said the heavy workload of his daily job plus making the BMW gizmos was taking too much of his time. He did add that he will be looking for a successor who wants to take over the product!!

Yes - I spotted this too, disappointing, especially as it worked. I'm not aware of any other similar device but I did contact Henk to find out why he had ceased trading and he said the heavy workload of his daily job plus making the BMW gizmos was taking too much of his time. He did add that he will be looking for a successor who wants to take over the product!!
I hope so. I'd buy a converter immediately. It worked on yours so should work on mine.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom