How do I reverse a route, successfully?

vRSG60

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
1530 miles later and no issues with the Nav5.:D. Took us from Calais to Baden Baden following the route I had wanted (France, Belgium, Luxembourg then Germany) which I reversed for the homeward trip :thumb2

I assume you'd done this before you set off. I tried to find a function to reverse a route on the Nav V but couldn't.
Happen as well. Because when I do it in Basecamp it keeps the waypoints as they are, so if it's a dual carriage way most are on the wrong side of the road and bugger it all up. They need to me manual re-positioned.
This, by the way, is using a set route with pre-planned waypoints. Not a basic route mapped in Basecamp.

On the Nav V you can call up a track (Apps, Tracks then look in the Active Track tab). Select the track to view it, then from the top LH menu you have the option to 'Save as Trip' and under this 'start to finish' or 'finish to start'.

In Basecamp, just r-click on the route name in the lower LH panel and invert route.

BTW, good point about waypoints placed on dual carriageways causing problems when inverting a route. I do occasional talks on route planning principles and one key point is to drag route shaping points to the entry and exit roads of M-way or dual carriageway sections. This avoids all the hassle of trying to place a point on the correct side of the carriageway, and makes life simpler if you want to reverse the route.

Tomcat's suggestion on where to place shaping / waypoints is a good one, though it can fall down. Here's an example of where I think it might.

A bod wants to take a motorway 100 miles from A to B. Using Tomcat's method, he'd place a point on the entry road at A and on the exit road, B. That's fine. However, where the 100 mile stretch has junctions within its length - and maybe dependent on the operator's preference settings - the route may try its best to route the user off the motorway at one or more of the intermediate junctions. We see this as a complaint in several threads. In order to fource the route along the 100 miles of motorway, I think the owner would be forced to place intermediate points along the carriageway itself.

I don't use the 'reverse route' ability very often. Are we sure that reversing a route that has a point along one direction of a motorway / dual carriageway, will force the operator to make a bizarre about turn at some point of his return trip if he reverses the outwards route?

Quote ( Are we sure that reversing a route that has a point along one direction of a motorway / dual carriageway, will force the operator to make a bizarre about turn at some point of his return trip if he reverses the outwards route? ) just tried this using mapsource and basecamp and can confirm when reversing the route using either will cause problems when points are put on specific lanes of motorways or dual carriadgeways (as in North or South bound.) It makes no difference if point is a shaping or way, can not confirm if the same happens on the nav.

Thanks, Lee.

So, reversing a route is less of a problem if it has no intermediate shaping or waypoints within its length. I can only assume that Garmin see this as a useful feature, designed to assist those who ask the software or device to take them from A to B and do no route creation of their own?

Thanks, Lee.

So, reversing a route is less of a problem if it has no intermediate shaping or waypoints within its length. I can only assume that Garmin see this as a useful feature, designed to assist those who ask the software or device to take them from A to B and do no route creation of their own?

That is correct.

Tomcat's suggestion on where to place shaping / waypoints is a good one, though it can fall down. Here's an example of where I think it might.

A bod wants to take a motorway 100 miles from A to B. Using Tomcat's method, he'd place a point on the entry road at A and on the exit road, B. That's fine. However, where the 100 mile stretch has junctions within its length - and maybe dependent on the operator's preference settings - the route may try its best to route the user off the motorway at one or more of the intermediate junctions. We see this as a complaint in several threads. In order to fource the route along the 100 miles of motorway, I think the owner would be forced to place intermediate points along the carriageway itself.

I've seen this problem several times on different devices (550, 220 and the Nav V) where the Zumo shows the route exiting a motorway and then immediately rejoining. I think there must be a fundamental glitch somewhere in Garmin's routing algorithms, and it's bloody annoying. Simple solutions that don't require way/via points are:
1. have some idea of the correct place to exit (nearby town name etc.)
2. use the zoom function to take an overview of the route at the 'suspect' junction, and just ignore it if it comes straight back on. Whoever specced the scroll wheel on the GS must have had problems of their own with Garmin's autobahn oddness.

i reversed a route last year, but it took me all over the place trying to re-route me back over the waypoints i had in place, in one instance a i had inadvertently placed a waypoint on a oneway street and it took all over the town to get to it, the suggestion of reversing without having too many intermediate waypoints and placing them accordingly seem to make sense.

Back
Top Bottom