How do I reverse a route, successfully?

vRSG60

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
1530 miles later and no issues with the Nav5.:D. Took us from Calais to Baden Baden following the route I had wanted (France, Belgium, Luxembourg then Germany) which I reversed for the homeward trip :thumb2

I assume you'd done this before you set off. I tried to find a function to reverse a route on the Nav V but couldn't.
Happen as well. Because when I do it in Basecamp it keeps the waypoints as they are, so if it's a dual carriage way most are on the wrong side of the road and bugger it all up. They need to me manual re-positioned.
This, by the way, is using a set route with pre-planned waypoints. Not a basic route mapped in Basecamp.

Can't be done on the Nav 5 (unlike the 550 and 660). You have to save it in reverse in Basecamp and them upload it.

I have been asking Garmin to reinstate this function for a few years now. It wasn't that I used it much but it was bloody useful when I did!

Please ask Garmin to reinstate it and maybe if enough people do it might happen!

(Just posted this in the Basecamp section)

On the Nav V you can call up a track (Apps, Tracks then look in the Active Track tab). Select the track to view it, then from the top LH menu you have the option to 'Save as Trip' and under this 'start to finish' or 'finish to start'.

In Basecamp, just r-click on the route name in the lower LH panel and invert route.

BTW, good point about waypoints placed on dual carriageways causing problems when inverting a route. I do occasional talks on route planning principles and one key point is to drag route shaping points to the entry and exit roads of M-way or dual carriageway sections. This avoids all the hassle of trying to place a point on the correct side of the carriageway, and makes life simpler if you want to reverse the route.

On the Nav V you can call up a track (Apps, Tracks then look in the Active Track tab). Select the track to view it, then from the top LH menu you have the option to 'Save as Trip' and under this 'start to finish' or 'finish to start'.

Great advice and very handy :thumby:

Agreed. However, I have loads of tracks from the same ride which I assume happens if I stop for fuel or coffee. I guess there is no way of linking these to create a complete route?

.....I have loads of tracks from the same ride which I assume happens if I stop for fuel or coffee. I guess there is no way of linking these to create a complete route?

Linking tracks (and routes) together within a GPS device is very hard, bordering on impossible, I think.

It is though very easy in BaseCamp (and Mapsource) on a Mac (or a PC).

Anyone know if Garmin have made a reverse my route more intuitive? Can’t believe you can’t select a route you have created and simply click reverse.
Thx
Glenn

Anyone know if Garmin have made a reverse my route more intuitive? Can’t believe you can’t select a route you have created and simply click reverse.
Thx
Glenn

Yes. Track back on the device. Invade amp open route and then invert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx
Glenn

They haven’t. Why? Because they don’t need to.

Most owners do not create their own routes, they ask the device to do it for them. They don’t need to reverse a route. They asked the device for the route A to B, so they ask it for B to A to come back.

Yes. Track back on the device. Invade amp open route and then invert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Donovan, yep that’s workable.:thumb However there does seems logic in letting the User work with the route he has created on the Nav and selecting reverse.

Great to meet you in Dent.

They haven’t. Why? Because they don’t need to.

Most owners do not create their own routes, they ask the device to do it for them. They don’t need to reverse a route. They asked the device for the route A to B, so they ask it for B to A to come back.

Richard, you could be right...but I’d think this is a simple functional feature.

I remember it being available on my 550 Zumo and I think my 660? Look at the ease with which you can reverse a route in Basecamp?

I have put it to Garmin on a number of occasions to bring it back. I can only suggest as many other people as possible do it as well: https://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

The 550 was (and still is) a very good GPS device, from a golden age before bikermates demanded to be ‘entertained’, told what windy roads to take, how many times they’d changed gear and what the weather is like.

Back
Top Bottom