Why does this happen then

Nutty, let's get back on track. You asked:

Nav 6 is set to curvy roads, avoid motorways.

On Saturday, I jumped on the motorway for one junction, as it saves a 20 mile detour. The Nav then changed the route, and wanted to keep me on the motorway for the next 4 junctions. I didn't change the routing preferences.

My Nav 5 would instantly recognise I was on a motorway, and would route me off at the next junction, as per my preferences, but the 6 disregarded my preferences.

Why?

I guess the truth is, you don't know how your Nav V would have reacted when you jumped onto the the motorway, as you weren't using it.

I'm a little bit confused by the whole story. As I see it:

1. At the start of the day you asked your Nav VI to give you a route A to B, avoiding motorways and favouring curvy roads.

2. This it duly did and you set off riding along the route, quite happily.

3. At some point in the day, you were faced with a 20 mile detour. It's not clear if this was due to a road closure or whether you suddenly realised that the device, in creating it's A to B route that morning - avoiding motorways and taking curving roads - had provided a route that (in order to match your criteria) was 20 miles longer than you really wanted it to be.

4. For whatever reason, you decided to override your natural instinct of never touching a motorway. You rode onto the mototorway, expecting the device to recalculate the route take you straight off at the next junction, to get you back on curvy roads to complete your A to B device generated journey. It didn't... it kept you on the mototorway for four junctions.

The easiest assumption to make is that there were no roads at the first junction's exit that matched the device's conception of what consitutes 'curvy', whilst still getting you from A to B which was the overarching duty you'd given it that morning, mixed in with whatever settings you'd applied, like fastest time / most direct / avoiding traffic / avoiding towns.... the potential list goes on and on, maybe even including catering for instructions it's receiving via your phone on traffic or weather up ahead. In short, there's a whole potential bucket load of variables, criteria and presences that are acting on the device at any one moment. As we have seen in other threads, variables can include simple operator error, though I am not suggesting this applies to you, not least as you haven't had much input beyond setting preferences and asking the device for an A to B route.

If this guess is correct, the device then did it's best to find you its interpretation of rendering up (recalculating) a fresh A to B journey, on curvy roads but not starting from the original A (where you started from that morning) but from a fresh A, somewhere on a motorway that you were hurtling along. The best point it could find to reconnect you with curvy roads that would still get you to point B, was several junctions further along the motorway.

As I said, this is all a guess. I based it on:

A. You not knowing how another device, running potentially different maps, with potentially different images as to what constituted curvy, potentially different routing algorithms, would have reacted. You'd only find that out if you'd been running the two devices together.

B. An assumption that the device follows some sort of hierarchical sequence when generating A to B routes based on preferences you've given it.

For example: It's primary overriding duty in the hierarchical chain, is to deliver you exactly to point B. This it will do, automatically recalculating (if you've set it that way) the route each time you deviate from it. You apparently did this when you, and you alone, decided to deviate off the route to join a motorway. In other words you overrode your own preferences and that of the device's.

It's second hierarchical duty is perhaps to get you to point B in the fastest time, as opposed to most direct.

It's third is maybe to avoid motorways; something it was doing with apparently no problems at all, right up to the moment you (and not the device) decided to take yourself onto a motorway.

It's fourth is maybe to seek out as many curvy roads as it can find between A and B, whilst still obeying other duties within the hierarchical chain.

It's fifth is maybe that if point A changes (as you have moved away from it as soon as you rode off that morning or the device has made a recalution for some reason, like you driving off route deliberately) it will reassess the route to B from that point - a point that might well be moving at say 100 miles an hour as you hoon down a motorway - all afresh based on the same hierarchical principles.

Quite what trumps one preference over another in the hierarchical chain, or even if my guess of the sequence of criteria in the hierarchical chain is correct, I have no idea; I rarely if ever ask a GPS device to generate routes for me, always preferring to create them for myself. Anyway, the whole of that lot is a guess.... maybe the device or even just your device, really is a pile of crap, which you now wish you hadn't rushed out to buy because BMW told you it was the latest incarnation of God when it came to idiot proof route calculation. Who knows?

Must admit , I was right on the verge of giving my dealer £600 for a nav v1 ...best thing ever , way better than the last, superb, all quoted .....sooooooo glad I waited and kept the V now , after hearing all these issues.

Next spring I'm sure it will be sorted, all the software updates will have eradicated the issues ,like this one , and it will be a great machine.

Seems Garmin have put it out as an unfinished project and for the buying customer to help solve all the problems .

Thanks Wappers. A bit more info for you...

Most of the route, I've travelled a couple of times before, using the Nav 5 and now Nav 6, but the final destination was a few miles further than normal. I was going to a village around 7 miles further away than normal, so the Nav 5 normally gets me off the motorway after just one junction, following my preferences. Most of the route is exactly the same, it's just the last few miles that are different, so no need to keep me on the motorway.

If I leave home, I can go the whole way on back roads, however, it would take nearly an hour to get to a certain point in the route that can be done in around half that time, if I jump on the motorway for just one junction, so the plan was just to do one junction. The lure of staying in bed for another half an hour was too much!:D

So, what I find strange is that both devices have exactly the same preferences (curvy roads, no motorways, no tolls, no u turns), yet the 5 would route me off the motorway at the next junction, but the 6 wanted to keep me on for 4 junctions.

Easiest advice:

Plot routes yourself in future. It's liberating, even if you get help from the options available in Mapsource and BaseCamp.

Ignore instructions from a GPS device that you don't agree with.

Consider whether to always having your device set yes to automatic recalculation is a good idea or not. This sort of matches in with the advice in the line above.

Don't go to villages that are different (even if by only seven miles) from your normal destination as it only leads to frustration and confusion.

Well thanks for all this chaps!

I sold my Nav V last week and collected my new Nav VI on Monday just in time to read Nutty's post on how crap it is (allegedly).

I'm now looking forward to lots of lovely trips along the M4. Then again maybe I'll work out how to use it properly ;) :D

Must admit , I was right on the verge of giving my dealer £600 for a nav v1 ...best thing ever , way better than the last, superb, all quoted .....sooooooo glad I waited and kept the V now , after hearing all these issues.

Seems Garmin have put it out as an unfinished project and for the buying customer to help solve all the problems .

What issues are these?

The map update problem was common across several devices in the range, apparently linked to bods not having the latest version of Garmin Express installed.

Nutty has had two problems, which could well be seen as an improvement on his usual average, though I suspect he may well be keeping very quiet over several more.

What issues are these?

The map update problem was common across several devices in the range, apparently linked to bods not having the latest version of Garmin Express installed.

Nutty has had two problems, which could well be seen as an improvement on his usual average, though I suspect he may well be keeping very quiet over several more.

considering there are around a dozen threads all with negative feedback in them at some time, highlighting various issues , thats enough for me to wait till its sorted

I have many more problems, none related to the sat nav! :D

The preference is set to curvy roads.

It seems that you may have found a few more preferences then. (Quote) what I find strange is that both devices have exactly the same preferences (curvy roads, no motorways, no tolls, no u turns) Any more you care to enlighten us with:beerjug::beerjug::blast:blast

There was a young slaphead from surrey
Who became a navigational worry
After being lost in France

There was a young slaphead from surrey
Who became a navigational worry
After being lost in France
And shitting his pants
He was down, dejected and sorry

Thanks for the start Arsey

Clive

Edit. Sorry JerseyNeil. Just spotted your post
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure if this add to the dilemma or sheds light but..on my 590lm, i just discovered that even after route has been transferred, irrespective of avoidances, I can still change the way the route is navigated when having the route selected and then choosing curvy roads or fastest time etc. maybe check that on your nav 5/6

Back
Top Bottom