Cheval de Frise

GerryC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Cheval de Frise

Cheval de Frise [Frisian horse] was a medieval anti-cavalry measure consisting of projecting spikes; it was designed to defend against horse mounted warriors or more specifically to cause harm to them. I don’t ride horses but do ride motorcycles, being mindful that in so choosing it makes me a vulnerable road user who must be alert to increased risk. Motorcyclists do not welcome the tensioned steel wire barriers as used in Ireland on some motorways & dual carriageways; they are colloquially referred to as “cheese cutters”. A number of EU, countries have outlawed their use.
If well maintained they remain hazardous to motorcyclists but in Kerry they are frequently damaged compounding their menace. The photograph was taken on the Tralee bypass yesterday [May 8th].
Over the years, such damage has occurred on the Tralee & the Castleisland bypass. I notify Kerry County Council by e mail if damage is evident - weeks may pass before I use either road & notice the issue. The damaged uprights are replaced but frankly not as promptly as I would wish.
Last October I had e mail correspondence with the Municipal District Engineer, Tralee District, Kerry County Council; about previous Tralee bypass barrier damage. I notified this person about the new situation [as photographed] on April 18th; my e mail was not acknowledged & the “Cheval de Frise” remains in place three weeks later.
The use of these barriers should be critically reviewed; in the interim leaving exposed spikes oriented to maximise their destructive capacity is extremely reckless. The primary issue here is not the non acknowledgement of my e mail; it is that roadside “furniture” could be left in such a dangerous state. Ideally I’d like to see these barriers banned, but until then local authorities should not be depending on the likes of me to notify them of damage; a regular routine inspection system should be in place allied to a prompt repair regime. Currently neither is evident.

Attachments

• Spikes.jpg
    Spikes.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 317
The Mallow road out of Cork has just (in the last year) had a lovely run of about 6 kms of it installed.

Really bugs the shite out of me!!

Sent from a OnePlusX.

A poor girl lost her life on the M9 when she came off the bike and went into the centre median............ what do you reckon those lovely little hedges are hiding!!??

Sent from a OnePlusX.

This is because, very little if any thought is given to powered two wheelers on major roads.

There are decapitators along the A1 outside Edinburgh, also the end stops on barriers whilst useful for car are lethal for a motorbike.

I keep asking Transport Scotland, why when an area is damaged or due for replacement, armco barriers or similar not used.

Still awaiting a "sensible" response.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

agreed

Gerry,

I agree with all being said about these cheese cutters.

But in relation to this particular stretch: is it in the care of the local authority or the National roads authority? Maybe notify them? and definitely the RSA should be copied on any notification.

full marks for trying to get something done.

I have generally found that if you inform any council of the danger remind them of the multi million pounds of damages they will have to pay out after being sued for neglect and leaving such things in a dangerous condition. These days with email and twitter etc, they can never say, "we didn't know, we didn't get the letter"
Usually sorted within 24 hrs.

Given the amount of crash testing done, it makes you wonder how the wire barriers were ever deemed 'safe'.

Gerry, they are lethal to every road user. Horrible infrastructure.

Update: -
My original piece was not primarily intended for here - it would not be necessary to paint so much background. It was primarily focused on the local authority - I got a rather limp reply & have now escalated the matter to the RSA, TII & to the minister of transport (Shane Ross). MAG have been copied in.
These barriers should be outlawed - I'm encouraging you all to climb on the band wagon & raise public awareness on this.
If you arranged spikes along the highway you would hear from the authorities - yet the authorities are free to preside over such spikes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UcaJS5SDLYo?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:eek:
That's not good !

Why, other than cost obviously, would they fit these things when they're banned elsewhere :nenau:nenau
AFAIK,
A 'restraint' (i.e; something to stop / slow / deter vehicles ending up on the other side of the carriageway) is required by law.
These are the cheapest.* :rolleyes:

*in the short term.
The lifespan is also the shortest as they must be replaced after ten years.
But by then it will be someone elses problem, not the original f*ckwit that thought they were a good idea in the first place.

~~~
:mad:

EDIT:

.. and the ones in the video use armco! - the damage you see is just down to the use of exposed uprights - now, add the wire instead and imagine the consequences. :eek
EDIT #2
Also - if a lorry hits the wire, it's not strong enough to stop the lorry, but instead the wire breaks and gathers around the wheels and is whipped around like ... well, a whip - slicing anything it touches.

Drove by them a few hours ago.........they are still in the same condition!!

Back
Top Bottom