Test ride an RT tomorrow

Davel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing over from a six month, 6,000 mile only GS to a new RT and am trying one out tomorrow.

I seem to be doing quite a bit of weekend touring and also do some night rides when it tends to be a bit more chilly, so the idea of more wind/rain protection appeals - also a heated seat which I've never tried.

I have used an RT a few times but these are the Blood Bike ones with extra blue lights, light pole etc and so I guess these will be quite a bit heavier than the standard RT. They are also older bikes with quite a bit of mileage.

I found that they tended to dive in to bends quicker than the GS.

To be honest I am really pleased with my current bike, apart from the lack of wind and rain protection etc and so I'm hesitant to jump.

I suspect that the test ride will help me decide but would appreciate any help from those who have switched from a GS to an RT about whether or not you've regretted it.

I'm going to Spain and France in just over a month with four mates who ride Pans or FJRs and wonder if I should change before I go, or use my GS and change after the tour. They like the better weather protection given by these tourers.

Did it take you long to get used to the RT coming from a GS?

Any thoughts / advice appreciated.

I got an LC RT in 2015 after many years with a GS (and an Electraglide and a Pan along the way).

My wife road on the back if a new GSA but preferred the RT seat.

It's a great bike to ride and unless you are offroad riding then I would choose the RT over the GS. Riding from Heathrow last night the heated seat was great (as was the electric vest BTW).

It's a great bike for European touring but I also rode it down tiny lanes with grass and mud in the middle, two up.

It handles very well round bends and as you know the weather protection is good (although the GS can be much improved with wings and a spoiler on the screen along with wally flaps,Muffs and gaucho as I have done)

Only thing for me is that it eats tyres - they tend to cup so I get 5-6k miles only whereas I get 10-12 on the GS.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ta both will also look into those items.

If your tyres are cupping try a few more pounds in the front, I went upto 38 on the advice of Michelin on the PR4GTs on the front and 3k on, no sign of cupping.

Thanks - as it happens I have been running at that (2.6 bar or 37.71 psi) more by accident than design (the recommended pressure is 2.5 bar)

I yo-yo between the GSA and the RT, psychology says the GSA is lighter, in reality they're pretty similar, the RT (for me) my feet are closer the the earth, so easier to move around,.........

Then on a long journey, I turn up the radio on the RT, and remember why I prefer it....

:blast

Well - still really pondering to be honest.

Was out for about 90 minutes on Motorway, A roads and a few B roads to get the feel of it.

Brilliant bike, very comfortable, good weather protection, dips into corners very easily. The slipper clutch seems smoother than the GS and the speedo far simpler to read.

The brakes were excellent.

I was hesitant to filter because the front and panniers look so huge. In reality, I'm not sure it's much wider than a GS's bars. Think it's just a matter of getting used to it. For touring and poorer weather, it's the obvious choice.

For the rest of the biking that I do, I'm happy with the GS most of the time.

So I'm waiting to see what deal they might offer.

I was really impressed with it despite being determined to not like it.

Have I missed anything?

It had the top box fitted but not the panniers today.

I love my RT and can't really fault it for the kind of riding I do - mainly 2-up into Europe. Handles long motorway stints in comfort if needed, handles surprisingly well in the mountains and sips fuel too.

If I change bikes it will probably be to another RT when a new model arrives.

Matt

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Suspect a crap trade in deal as the dealer was flooded with GSs.

Really tempted though.

Thanks all!

I found the solution was to keep the GS and buy the RT - but then my GS was a 2003 1150 with many miles so it was never going to be worth much (but it keeps on going)

Well - still really pondering to be honest.

Was out for about 90 minutes on Motorway, A roads and a few B roads to get the feel of it.

Brilliant bike, very comfortable, good weather protection, dips into corners very easily. The slipper clutch seems smoother than the GS and the speedo far simpler to read.

The brakes were excellent.

I was hesitant to filter because the front and panniers look so huge. In reality, I'm not sure it's much wider than a GS's bars. Think it's just a matter of getting used to it. For touring and poorer weather, it's the obvious choice.

For the rest of the biking that I do, I'm happy with the GS most of the time.

So I'm waiting to see what deal they might offer.

I was really impressed with it despite being determined to not like it.

Have I missed anything?

It had the top box fitted but not the panniers today.

I really like the RT and have no issues filtering. I ride 90% of the time with the top box removed, but I have fitted extra brake lights over my number plate. I have never owned a GS, but had a loaner when my bike was in for service, really liked it, felt nimbler than the RT. If I could justify two bikes I would have a GS as well. But for a really good compromise the RT does everything. Ride all year round, so weather protection is a massive plus. Both great bikes though :)

Filtering is purely psychological, the boxes are narrower than the cylinders, so like the GS the mirrors are your whiskers, if you think the mirrors will go through the space, everything else will too....

:)

They do look huge when standing in front of the bike but on it, not too much so.

Been offered a deal on a carbon black one in Manchester........

:D

Filtering is purely psychological, the boxes are narrower than the cylinders, so like the GS the mirrors are your whiskers, if you think the mirrors will go through the space, everything else will too....

:)

I was intrigued so went out to my RT with a tape measure and you are, indeed, correct

I went the other way from an RT to a GSA. I agree with something that was posted earlier, unless you're going off road the RT is a far better 'real world' bike, IMO.
Better weather protection, more relaxing to ride yet just as much fun when you want it.

Still torn really.

The demonstrator was great but I'm using a 60 plate Blood Bike at the moment with 64k miles on her and with the lights etc probably adding to the weight.

She seems to wallow like a pig and doesn't feel at all 'right' cornering but it might just be me being used to a GS.

Probably chalk and cheese between the two bikes so may have another test ride.

We have a 2010 RT Blood Bike, its done 58k, is ok, but handles slowly and feels really heavy. I bought a 2014 RT, just got back from 2k around France and Germany, did 500 miles yesterday, love the RT, did it effortlessly with me and the good lady plus luggage, no aches or pains. Just stopped for fuel twice and an half hour leg stretch 3 times, it was bordering 31c not much air flow though. Really impressed. Have done 8k on it in a year, but this is the first time I've done more than 200 miles in one hit. Love the GS as well, but would buy a new RT. Filtering is no problem at all.

Back
Top Bottom