Paging you 1190R boys-what tyres have you used ?

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm liking my new 1290R.

But I have a slight issue with wear on my front tyre,at only 2100 miles.

The OE tyres for the 1290R are Conti TrailAttack2s,which I've had on my 950 SuperEnduro for years and also I fitted them on my Africa Twin last year as the OE Dunlops were shite ! BUT,I have a slight instability in my front end-release your grip on the bars at 45 ish mph and there's a slight wobble.My dealer has had the bike in today,checked everything,having ridden it himself and agreed it wasn't right.
They ended up swapping my front wheel with that off a brand new R,and it was perfect.They then checked my actual wheel for alignment etc and all good so it must be the tyre,which ties up with the delay from the factory which I heard was due tyre issues.

So for some reason the 1290R and the ContiTA2 don't seem happy together.

I'm over in UK next week with my bike and was thinking of swapping the tyres over for TKC70s,as a mate had them on his 1190R and said they were brilliant.They also look better on the R.

KTM are getting me a new front tyre but perhaps I can get a credit off them instead.

Not sure how many 1190R owners (ie with the 21/18 wheels) are on here but what tyres have you used.

Also,I'll be near Banbury and was toying with riding down and using Micheldever Tyres,but is there a better option such as Black Circles with local fitment ?

Ta muchly for info/advice.

I haven't tried them but Dunlop Trailsmart get good reviews

Try Premier bikes for tyres, others have said they're very competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One of the blokes at work was talking about tyres on brand new bikes the other day. (he has a new MTS).

He was of the opinion (and this is new to me - haven't heard this before ..?) that OE tyres are a slightly cheap and cheerful version of what we would buy off the shelf and have fitted.

He was also complaining that his OE pirelli scorpion 2 tyres had worn excessively quickly and that he would be replacing them with the same knowing that as non OE tyres they would be better ....

:nenau

It's not something I know, but he seemed pretty convinced that this was the case. If he's right ... hang on in there with another set of Conti's.
They were my tyre of choice on the 1190 .... :thumb2

One of the blokes at work was talking about tyres on brand new bikes the other day. (he has a new MTS).

He was of the opinion (and this is new to me - haven't heard this before ..?) that OE tyres are a slightly cheap and cheerful version of what we would buy off the shelf and have fitted.

He was also complaining that his OE pirelli scorpion 2 tyres had worn excessively quickly and that he would be replacing them with the same knowing that as non OE tyres they would be better ....

It's not something I know, but he seemed pretty convinced that this was the case. If he's right ... hang on in there with another set of Conti's.

I've never heard that before, seems a bit odd. For the record, the Scorpion Trail II on my bike are bloody brilliant, probably the best road tyre I've had on this style of bike. :beerjug:

I see they do these in a 21", so wouldn't hesitate to recommend these for the R.:thumb

Yes ... if they do a 21 90 90 then that would be a great choice ...

Sounds plausible.The only thing is the replacement tyre will be coming from KTM,so might it be another cheapo OE spec ?

Had two sets of TA2s on my 1190R with no stability issues at all. Love 'em.

Had two sets of TA2s on my 1190S and the OEM fitted set exhibited exactly the symptoms you describe, except the slight wobble would get worse and worse until hands went back on the bars.

There's lots of examples and info on advrider about this issue on 1190/1290SA.

One of the blokes at work was talking about tyres on brand new bikes the other day.................

He was of the opinion .....

So KTM techs think lets save a few more quid by sticking dodgy tyres on, the punters will never know.

Yeah right :blast:blast:blast:D

It wouldn't be the smartest move ever from the tyre manufacturers to supply tyres that wore out quickly as original fitments because the bike owner is unlikely to buy them when he needs replacements but it is something I've heard rumours of before. I was a bit dismayed when I wore out the rear tyre on my KTM 690 SM in just under 1,500 miles from new because I wasn't pushing the tyres during the first 500 miles and when I say worn out it was illegal by the time I changed it :blast

I've had my 1190 R for the last 18 months and have stuck with the TKC80's as I like the fact they stick to tarmac like the proverbial (for a knobbly), are predictable in the wet and as the bike gets to benefit from my inadequacies on green lanes they will make a reasonable fist of some inappropriately wet/rocky/steep terrain.

I know the rears have a reputation for wearing fast but I've just got c.4k miles out of it - mostly on road and there's roughly about 500-1,000 miles in it until it would fail an MOT. The reason that I'm changing it is that it's picked up a couple of punctures from green laning and whilst plugged, it's slowly losing pressure. The fronts last for ages and whilst fairly badly cupped, it's still usable and has seen about 8k miles. Not sure if any of the off tarmac stuff is important to you so obvs take these thoughts how you find them. I don't think that I've got any magic formula for making them last other than keeping them at the 2.4/2.9 bar recommended pressure which includes off tarmac as I'd rather sacrifice a bit of grip for the protection of the rims etc.

One left field thought to throw into the mix is the soon to be available Motoz Adventure Tractationor rear that will be available from Gabriel at Zen Overland in July although they are apparently now available from an importer in Spain. I understand from our US/Oz friends that they have good grip, are long lasting and tough although there is a thought that the original fronts may not be all that. Next time round, I'm planning to keeping the TKC80 front and giving the Motoz rear a blast.

Hope this helps and you're enjoying the new bike.

I mentioned this issue when I was at Premier on Saturday, and they have heard of this issue before. It turned out that the bike that showed these symptoms had been strapped down in the crate for longer than usual, which caused the bad tyre. As the R's were delayed, maybe that could be the same with yours?

I mentioned this issue when I was at Premier on Saturday, and they have heard of this issue before. It turned out that the bike that showed these symptoms had been strapped down in the crate for longer than usual, which caused the bad tyre. As the R's were delayed, maybe that could be the same with yours?

Sounds plausible

I've stuck to TA2's on my 1190R and are on my 3rd set, I can't fault them but I do find the rear spins up in the dry and sets the TC warning lights flashing, the OEM tyres didn't suffer from this and lifted the front wheel off the ground at 3000 and 5000 rpm instead. Just had to replace the rear after the 1st ride out as it picked up a 3" screw, not done 50 miles on it and scrap.:mad:

I've stuck to TA2's on my 1190R and are on my 3rd set, I can't fault them but I do find the rear spins up in the dry and sets the TC warning lights flashing, the OEM tyres didn't suffer from this and lifted the front wheel off the ground at 3000 and 5000 rpm instead.

Have you got the correct speed rated TA2's fitted ?

Back
Top Bottom