Zumo running slow

kwallace21

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just paid to lifetime update my Europe maps via download on my Zumo 660.
Tried to update all of Europe and the it said " not enough memory " and asked me to choose a smaller update so I chose Central Europe. I disconnected afterwards and plugged it back in again and tried to add more regions. This time it recognised my 8gb micro SD card and said I could update all of Europe, so I did. I also did a software update too. It now takes much longer to calculate routes. Amsterdam to Germany takes ages. Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Has updating to the unit and also the SD card caused problems?
Any advice welcome.

I wonder if you have a part or parts of the map on the internal memory and parts on the SD card. Equally I can wonder if the software update installed properly. There again, I can muse on whether you have parts of the maps missing. I can also ponder if your device was off, busily doing something else. I can think of lots of other possible causes, too.

Me? I'd start from square one.

1. I'd take the SD card out.

2. I'd reset the device with a hard reset, after first backing up to my computer anything I wanted to save.

3. I'd then update the software again and ensure that the updates had installed properly.

4. I'd then install a fresh, brand new SD card.

5. I'd then update the maps and ensure that they'd installed properly.

6. I'd then commune silently but earnestly with God whilst I restarted the device.... if all was good, I'd congratulate myself. If it was not, I'd blame Him.

Make sure you are using a good fast card from a reputable company class10 or above, there are many fake cards about.

+1 for start from fresh with a new sd class 10, as per Wappings instructions,
As you went to lifetime maps, how old was the previous version?
the latest maps have a lot more detail and may appear to be slower,
Do you have music and saved routes etc on the sd, a fresh bigger 16 gb might help,
I swapped from the 660 18 months ago and didnt find it very quick on calculating euro routes especially when adding via points or shortest route,
Good luck
Roamer

If you have any MP3s on there, remove them first.
Can always put them back when you're done.

Just paid to lifetime update my Europe maps via download on my Zumo 660.
Tried to update all of Europe and the it said " not enough memory " and asked me to choose a smaller update so I chose Central Europe. I disconnected afterwards and plugged it back in again and tried to add more regions. This time it recognised my 8gb micro SD card and said I could update all of Europe, so I did. I also did a software update too. It now takes much longer to calculate routes. Amsterdam to Germany takes ages. Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Has updating to the unit and also the SD card caused problems?
Any advice welcome.

It's possible that the map update and apparent slow speed are not linked directly. If your route Amsterdam to Germany is a long one, with lots of points, and was created on the old map version, then it might take a long time to recalculate in the 660. Does the map screen update quickly as you zoom in and out? If it doesn't then you should follow the advice about resetting etc. given previously. If it updates quickly then I suspect that the route is the source of your problems. Try recalculating the route on your PC to match the maps installed on the 660.

I'm going to try a bigger faster sd card and see if that helps. I assume I can just download the maps again as I have lifetime updates.
I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm going to try a bigger faster sd card and see if that helps. I assume I can just download the maps again as I have lifetime updates.
I'll let you know how I get on.

You could just copy and paste everything from the old card to the new one, or drag and drop. this is providing the card has your maps on it of course, it will be quicker than doing it via basecamp or express.

As you had a bit of a challenge loading the full map sets, I'd do it again. If only to make sure they'd installed fully and properly onto your brand new card.

As you had a bit of a challenge loading the full map sets, I'd do it again. If only to make sure they'd installed fully and properly onto your brand new card.

good point i should have said complete maps.

Tried a hard reset and it didn't really do anything. New version of maps are still on it. Looks like all the maps are on the machine and not the sd card. Buggered if I can get it to work faster.

if you have updated the maps to full europe maps, i doubt if they would all fit on the machine, plug it it in to your mac/pc open express and re download them to be certain, it should tell you if the whole map set will fit.

Mmm, they have loaded on to the sd card however I bought a new bigger sd to see if it speeded up. Couldn't get it to find the whole European update again so will leave it as is. Route calculation is slow for big 300 mile European routes but tried it tonight in the car and it runs fast enough and quickly recalculates if I go off route back to my house. My worry was that it was too slow out on the road but seems fine. Updates have the motorway route photo thing which is cool.
Will run with it.
Thanks to all contributers.

when you said machine i thought you meant the unit and not the sd card, the maps will of course fit on a large enough sd card.

Back
Top Bottom