Gotta ride 40 miles without servo!!

I wonder if ya could fit a bigger master cylinder of an R1 or similar improve the brakes once the the servo is ditched.

Fit the engine from an R-1 .............. you'll get an R1000GSA. :D

Al

Having had this problem myself I'd suggest the first thing to do is to check the adjustment of the switch. Reason is that a tiny amount of wear on the end of the alloy brake lever where it rubs on the steel arm of the microswitch gives the same effect as pulling the lever and confusing the ABS controller. The adjuster is a tiny allen-headed grub screw that is mentioned but not shown on this parts diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...25-BMW-R_1200_GS_04_0307,0317_&diagId=32_1892 . The switch pivots on a little pin:loosen the grub screw to adjust it's position.

My problem was then when I pulled the brake lever, the brake light would come on, but when I released the lever, at times the light would stay on a second or so.
All sorted now. As Bear suggested, I adjusted the microswitch by loosening the small underneath adjustment screw with a allen key, jiggling the switch ever so slightly and re tightening it. Took a few times of trying as at the first attempt I lost all brake light functionality, but I must of found the sweet spot as everything seems to work ok now.

My problem was then when I pulled the brake lever, the brake light would come on, but when I released the lever, at times the light would stay on a second or so.
All sorted now. As Bear suggested, I adjusted the microswitch by loosening the small underneath adjustment screw with a allen key, jiggling the switch ever so slightly and re tightening it. Took a few times of trying as at the first attempt I lost all brake light functionality, but I must of found the sweet spot as everything seems to work ok now.

Marvelous design isn't it..... The braking system depending on a delicate electrical switch.

Think you may find it'll come back to haunt you, might be worth getting a spare switch from Motorworks just in case it reappears for the amount they cost.

My rear brake micro switch did the same a year or so ago but reappeared a week before i was due to go on a Pyrenees tour which very nearly scuppered the trip.

When i ordered the replacement switch I also bought the servo bypass kit at the same time wasn't certain it was the switch or the servo.

I wonder if ya could fit a bigger master cylinder of an R1 or similar improve the brakes once the the servo is ditched.
Bigger master cyl would reduce hydraulic ratio and make brakes wooden.
The standard system with the servo removed is more than powerful enough,
I’d just junk the servo system,I’ve survived the last 38 years without abs on most of my bikes,
Most customers faced with the dilemma of removing the abs soon get over it when the find out the cost of a replacement servo unit.

Just to concur with the above comments re removing the servo. Brakes are fine without it and in my experience are better. Sure you don't get that initial 'grab' that the servo ABS system had but in my view this gives better feel to the brakes. I removed my servo and then did a trip down to the Pyrenees and was more than happy with the brakes.

Mark

How do you put up with all this?, just remove the thing and bliss will rule!.

I hated the lack of feedback my '04 servo brakes had, the difference in feel when I p/x'd to my current '08 GSA was remarkable.

Bin that crappy servo and revert to proper brakes with a reassuring feel, not that crappy all-or-nothing system.

Back
Top Bottom