Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR

I've been taking them on trails and gravel for the past week and they seem extremely competent. I'd say TKC80 level competent. Highway stability is also excellent. Starting a long trip in a week, will see how it wears.

The blocks aren't squirmy like the TKC and the bike feels a lot more planted and predictable. There is a small hum around 80kph, but less than Anakee's. Overall I think this is THE new tire for GS. Excellent 60/40 balance.

726d669b00c0b2133a9e75658e0bce1e.jpg

TKC80 level competent....aren't squirmy like the TKC and the bike feels a lot more planted and predictable. [hum] less than Anakee's. Excellent 60/40 balance.

Well sir, if what you say is indeed true - I know what my next tyre is going to be! I'm making the switch when I get to Bucharest, after running Anakee IIIs from new, as I'll be doing some offroad in the Middle East when I head there through Georgia, but at the same time will need my road manners.

I'll ley you know how they get on to supplement this review thread. Thanks again!

Hi RTz,

What's it like in the wet road? I'll changing them as well soon as I'll have a road trip to South Portugal before doing some forest dirt tracks.

Hi RTz,

What's it like in the wet road? I'll changing them as well soon as I'll have a road trip to South Portugal before doing some forest dirt tracks.

Difficult to say, I've ridden in wet only once since I put them on 2 weeks ago, but the initial feel was stable, neutral and no surprises. I will get to twisty roads in Norway soon and can report back then, but from what I've read and heard they have no issues as long as you keep in mind they are knobblies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Difficult to say, I've ridden in wet only once since I put them on 2 weeks ago, but the initial feel was stable, neutral and no surprises. I will get to twisty roads in Norway soon and can report back then, but from what I've read and heard they have no issues as long as you keep in mind they are knobblies.

Ok, thanks. I'll look forward to hear from you. Have a great trip, Norway is a fantastic country to ride. I have great memories (it was quite a few years ago but man was it memorable) from touring around Norway!

I'm having these fitted tomorrow, hope they are good on road because that's where I spend 100% of my time! I do however want the ability to leave the tarmac if I'm feeling brave!

Please give us your opinion. Thanks

Well I'm out for a full day on the twisties tomorrow so will have a better idea after that.. What I can say is that after I had them fitted a couple of days back I took the long way home to scrub them in a bit, and they felt very decent and predictable, not the fastest at tipping in but not slow.. I can only compare to the original anakee 3's, and I had no issues with them. It was dry so can't comment on wet yet, but I tend to ride on the safe side in the wet.. Like I said I was scrubbing them in so didn't abuse them too muck.

This is the rear tyre at 10k km's. The centre is pretty much done, maybe ok for another 1k but that's it.

Just did a big Scandinavia trip. Excellent 60/40 tyre for the GS. Super solid on wet and dry, gravel, single tracks, you name it. The thing literally has not let down, ever. It is much quieter and smoother than K60 or Anakee3 more predictable than TKC80 and Karoo3 on road. It lasts longer than TKC.

This is what I'm going to be using from now on, it fits what I use the bike for perfectly. And I've literally tried every ADV tyre there is.

7ef0a154a83bbece895b7c808e9edc31.jpg

Well, deep soft sand is problematic, but hey, with this weight it would be, regardless of tyres.

165e6945a8d3acb5b87378479a54214f.jpg

Thanks. On another forum in USA a guy said similar but was also saying he felt it was better on trails than a TKC 80 which amazed him considering the profile of the two.

I've got a KTM 1190 R so need 18 inch which is about 6 weeks off. I think I will wait as I want a really solid road tyre that is trail, not extreme, capable.

Cheers

Thanks. On another forum in USA a guy said similar but was also saying he felt it was better on trails than a TKC 80 which amazed him considering the profile of the two.

I've got a KTM 1190 R so need 18 inch which is about 6 weeks off. I think I will wait as I want a really solid road tyre that is trail, not extreme, capable.

Cheers

Give the Pirelli STRs a go if they offer it in the sizes you are after. I'd agree that if not marginally better, they handle as good on the trails as a TKC80, but at the same time far better on wet roads.

Well, deep soft sand is problematic, but hey, with this weight it would be, regardless of tyres.

<<snip>>

At what speed do you reckon you would've hit that sandy patch? do you think ... possiby a slightly higher speed, momentum and power may have got you through that?

But hey, sand is fun :D the heaviest bike i've taken on sand is a 250 so I'm no expert on heavy bikes on sand.

At what speed do you reckon you would've hit that sandy patch? do you think ... possiby a slightly higher speed, momentum and power may have got you through that?

But hey, sand is fun :D the heaviest bike i've taken on sand is a 250 so I'm no expert on heavy bikes on sand.

Of course it would have had I not chickened out and reduced speed before that patch. It's easy to plow a light torquey dirtbike through that, but 250kg feels intimidating. It's no enduro. It somehow doesn't feel as easy to just "gas it" through spots like these.

I've been using then for pure road use for the last 1000 miles or so, commuting and a few blasts around the Trough of Bowland and the Lake District etc, and can't really fault them so far: they did feel like they needed more physical effort to turn in than the anakee 3s that I had previous, and to me almost like the rear turned in slightly slower than the front, strangely; but did tip in quickly and with lots of grip (whilst counter steering).. Now with quite a few miles of use it seems to me like they have bedded in very nicely, and I don't notice them needing any consciousness effort to turn anymore, or maybe I've just gotten use to them, who knows!?

Hi, has anyone fitted this Pirelli scorpion rally star to the 1200 GSA LC with a mudsling fitted? Looking to buy these but not sure whether there's enough clearance. Thanks and regards

Anyone got anymore comments to make on the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR?

Looking to replace my Anakee 3’s soon. I’m a fan of the Conti Trail Attack II as I had them on my TC and loved them in all (road) conditions but I fancy something a bit more knarly and will be doing a small amount of dry, firm off-roading in Spain later in the year but would rather not compromise the sporty road handling of the bike. Many Merkins seem to say that they are great on the road but you can’t go trusting them. Look who they voted for.........

Any further comments good and bad regarding road holding in wet and dry from real life experience would be gratefully accepted.

Neil

Trying to get hold of a set of these for my Hexhead since September....

There is a very large thread posted about them on AdventureRider.com

Sent from a U11

My A3's started to feel rubbish and square off at about 3,000 miles (yes, I know) - but I rode them quite hard on tarmac, and along with traction control switched off when leaving the tarmac, it spun a lot on rocks which didnt help.

However, I was happy with the A3 road handling whilst fairly new, and never found them lacking in grip. I changed to the Rally STR's and after initially feeling apprehensive with them on tarmac, I now ride them just as hard on the road and have no issues with them on dry tarmac at all. I dont ride anywhere near the limits on cold and wet tarmac, and with that proviso, I have no issues with grip in those conditions either.

Having done the ORS course in Wales, I know these tyres perform better than my own abilities off-road, so I'm guessing they will be more than adequate for what you want to do in Spain. The STR's also make the bike look 'fit for purpose', if that sort of thing matters!

Back
Top Bottom