Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR

Quote Originally Posted by force4fun View Post
    Thanks. On another forum in USA a guy said similar but was also saying he felt it was better on trails than a TKC 80 which amazed him considering the profile of the two.

I've got a KTM 1190 R so need 18 inch which is about 6 weeks off. I think I will wait as I want a really solid road tyre that is trail, not extreme, capable.

Cheers
    Give the Pirelli STRs a go if they offer it in the sizes you are after. I'd agree that if not marginally better, they handle as good on the trails as a TKC80, but at the same time far better on wet roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by RTz View Post
    Well, deep soft sand is problematic, but hey, with this weight it would be, regardless of tyres.

<>

At what speed do you reckon you would've hit that sandy patch? do you think ... possiby a slightly higher speed, momentum and power may have got you through that?

But hey, sand is fun the heaviest bike i've taken on sand is a 250 so I'm no expert on heavy bikes on sand.

Quote Originally Posted by kurienp View Post
    At what speed do you reckon you would've hit that sandy patch? do you think ... possiby a slightly higher speed, momentum and power may have got you through that?

But hey, sand is fun the heaviest bike i've taken on sand is a 250 so I'm no expert on heavy bikes on sand.
    Of course it would have had I not chickened out and reduced speed before that patch. It's easy to plow a light torquey dirtbike through that, but 250kg feels intimidating. It's no enduro. It somehow doesn't feel as easy to just "gas it" through spots like these.

I've been using then for pure road use for the last 1000 miles or so, commuting and a few blasts around the Trough of Bowland and the Lake District etc, and can't really fault them so far: they did feel like they needed more physical effort to turn in than the anakee 3s that I had previous, and to me almost like the rear turned in slightly slower than the front, strangely; but did tip in quickly and with lots of grip (whilst counter steering).. Now with quite a few miles of use it seems to me like they have bedded in very nicely, and I don't notice them needing any consciousness effort to turn anymore, or maybe I've just gotten use to them, who knows!?

Hi, has anyone fitted this Pirelli scorpion rally star to the 1200 GSA LC with a mudsling fitted? Looking to buy these but not sure whether there's enough clearance. Thanks and regards

Anyone got anymore comments to make on the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR?

Looking to replace my Anakee 3’s soon. I’m a fan of the Conti Trail Attack II as I had them on my TC and loved them in all (road) conditions but I fancy something a bit more knarly and will be doing a small amount of dry, firm off-roading in Spain later in the year but would rather not compromise the sporty road handling of the bike. Many Merkins seem to say that they are great on the road but you can’t go trusting them. Look who they voted for.........

Any further comments good and bad regarding road holding in wet and dry from real life experience would be gratefully accepted.

Neil

Trying to get hold of a set of these for my Hexhead since September....

There is a very large thread posted about them on AdventureRider.com

Sent from a U11

My A3's started to feel rubbish and square off at about 3,000 miles (yes, I know) - but I rode them quite hard on tarmac, and along with traction control switched off when leaving the tarmac, it spun a lot on rocks which didnt help.

However, I was happy with the A3 road handling whilst fairly new, and never found them lacking in grip. I changed to the Rally STR's and after initially feeling apprehensive with them on tarmac, I now ride them just as hard on the road and have no issues with them on dry tarmac at all. I dont ride anywhere near the limits on cold and wet tarmac, and with that proviso, I have no issues with grip in those conditions either.

Having done the ORS course in Wales, I know these tyres perform better than my own abilities off-road, so I'm guessing they will be more than adequate for what you want to do in Spain. The STR's also make the bike look 'fit for purpose', if that sort of thing matters!

I am on my 2nd rear. The front looks like it will go another 6k miles. The rear was pretty bare at 7k miles on a 1200LC. Still, IMO the best if not the only good 60/40 out there. Maybe even 50/50. Works great on everything. Maybe TKC80 would have a slight edge on the really gnarly stuff, but on everything else this works just as good and lasts longer.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks gents that’s very helpful. I had read the long thread on ADV rider but wanted more local assessments. Those Merkins think a big yank tank handles well so couldn’t completely trust all the opinions. That said I was sold on their off road ability being much more than enough for me just wanted to be sure I didn’t miss good road handling.

I will have to see if I can get a pair.........

Thanks gents that’s very helpful. I had read the long thread on ADV rider but wanted more local assessments. Those Merkins think a big yank tank handles well so couldn’t completeely trust all the opinions. That said I was sold on their off road ability being much more than enough for me just wanted to be sure I didn’t miss good road handling.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyNeil View Post
    Thanks gents that’s very helpful. I had read the long thread on ADV rider but wanted more local assessments. Those Merkins think a big yank tank handles well so couldn’t completeely trust all the opinions. That said I was sold on their off road ability being much more than enough for me just wanted to be sure I didn’t miss good road handling.

Put it this way. They might be 10% worse on road than Anakee 3's but they are 90% more offroad capable. That is a good trade. And they they don't howl as much too.

Good to know as I’m sure I don’t use 100% of the grip on my Anakee III’s so sounds ideal.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Rederic View Post
    I have had a good play on them today and there Brilliant

https://spark.adobe.com/page/l1fJh9hRiulIR/
    Great review, but pity they have no tarmac in Yorkshire

It looks like more manufacturers are getting into the "enduro street" niche. Here's a similar offering from Metzler. Not sure if it deserves it's own thread, at least for now? But the pattern looks familiar.

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/news...r-karoo-street

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123