Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR

RTz

Reaction score
Hi, Pirelli have recently started shipping their new Scorpion Rally STR (a kinda 60-40) tyre in GS-LC sizes. It looks to be a nicely balanced adventure tyre. Was wondering if anyone here might have already tried it and could post some feedback?

Planning a big trip this summer and now looking for good tyre options as the Heidi K60 Scout turned out to be really buzzy and loud on my 2017 GS. Tried TKC80 which feel really great everywhere, but I'm afraid it won't last the entire trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there,

I have asked that same question on here a few days ago but no one has tried that yet or at least it hasn't showed much interest which I find strange.
They are still a bit difficult to obtain but with so many GS's and GSA's about, one would think that a few people would have had a go at them following such good reports from the Pirelli Scorpion II.
Anyway, we'll wait and see.

Hi, Pirelli have recently started shipping their new Scorpion Rally STR (a kinda 60-40) tyre in GS-LC sizes. It looks to be a nicely balanced adventure tyre. Was wondering if anyone here might have already tried it and could post some feedback?

Planning a big trip this summer and now looking for good tyre options as the Heidi K60 Scout turned out to be really buzzy and loud on my 2017 GS. Tried TKC80 which feel really great everywhere, but I'm afraid it won't last the entire trip.

There is a video about it here - unfortunately half of it is in german.

https://youtu.be/y0qQSh513JA

But the interview from 6:00 is in English. Doesn't say much, but something.

What interests me in STR is that it is brand new tyre tech, developed in 2016. Most tyres in the market now in GS sizes entered the market in 2013 and were developed 5 years ago just before the release of the watercooled GS. They are old tyres. K60 Scouts alone are out there since 2011, surely tech would have been developed somewhat over 6 years. So I'm kinda hoping that the STR may actually be the best sensibly "universal" tyre for the GS.

This is what the guy in the interview is talking about - a generation of rubber meant to work with all the electronics on newer gen big bikes. Looks like I'm going to be the lab rat, buy them and see what's what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuK-1nIWu9g

This is literal translation from german, but in this video the tyres are tested on a track with 1200 GSA and the posters comments, as translated are as follows:

Conclusion of the approximately 100km long race track usage:

The tire has grip without end and was used up to the edge of the profile.

Even in the rain mode on slightly damp street no slides were noticeable.

The tire has an excellent limit and set-up behavior

Top Tires

Ok, as I'm currently away and wont be back to ride my GSA till June I will be anxiously waiting for your test run. Please keep us informed. :thumby:

Regards

Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR fit w Mudsling?

I'm aware that not many will have this tyre fitted but does anyone know, if these fit with mudsling installed?
I've contacted Machine Art and they were unable to provide that info as the info they have is based on rider reports (a bit strange for a product manufacturing company, one would think they would perform tests! But hey maybe it's just me thinking ahead of the game).

Any info regarding this issue would be appreciated.

Thankas and regards :thumby:

I have gone ahead and ordered a set for my GS. I will report back after putting some miles on them.

I have had a set fitted to mine today :thumb2:thumb2

First impressions are very good, its only about 5 weeks since I had a pair of Avon Trail riders fitted so rode home nearly the same way
And I must say that they feel more neutral than the Avons did there was no noticeable tracking on the overbanding, nearly had a SMIDSY so the emergency braking was ok
T straight line stability that was so much of a problem with the TKC 70s is not there at all :thumb
Not really had time to give them a 5 out of 5 but if there any good in the wet, and last longer than the Avons (won't be hard ) there going to be hard to beat

First impressions is these feel like a well sorted road tyre, might get a chance to do a few easy lanes over the weekend :beerjug:

Just realised I have not mentioned the noise will have to try them again tomorrow so it can't be to bad

Great, thanks for the feed back. Look forward to hear more from you. Not sure whether you have Mudsling fitted or not, have you got any opinion regarding this issue?

I have one on the front no issue with clearance there, to be honest they don't look physically and bigger than the Avons or the TKC 70s

Any further reviews on the STR?

I have had a set fitted to mine today :thumb2:thumb2

First impressions are very good, its only about 5 weeks since I had a pair of Avon Trail riders fitted so rode home nearly the same way
And I must say that they feel more neutral than the Avons did there was no noticeable tracking on the overbanding, nearly had a SMIDSY so the emergency braking was ok
T straight line stability that was so much of a problem with the TKC 70s is not there at all :thumb
Not really had time to give them a 5 out of 5 but if there any good in the wet, and last longer than the Avons (won't be hard ) there going to be hard to beat

First impressions is these feel like a well sorted road tyre, might get a chance to do a few easy lanes over the weekend :beerjug:

Just realised I have not mentioned the noise will have to try them again tomorrow so it can't be to bad

Hi,

Just about to return home and new tyres are priority. Any further reviews or comments on these?
By the way, I did like the look of that trip you did and documented. Any chance of sharing the where abouts it is?

Thanks and regards

Back
Top Bottom