Autorail from Dusseldorf thoughts?

I did this (when it still ran!) from berlin to verona. Is ideal as saves you loads of motorway boring stuff but it was quite expensive, they crammed you in (dont think it is their money maker) and use old wagons. Is fine in a way though as you can relax and we met some nice people - was much better than slogging it out on the highway

Has anyone used this service from Dusseldorf? And if so, would you recommend it?.http://www.railtravelshop.com/holidays/motorail

We were going to use it this year to Vienna, but left it too late to book!:blast. Lesson is it fills up very quickly, seats may still be available for example, but the space for vehicles is restricted. They run daily.
It was a marginal choice as the miles to Dusseldorf and the miles from Vienna to our destination were still quite high BUT it would have saved greatly on time and avoided a fair few boring motorway miles
Ring the OBB customer service desk direct, (english spoken and very helpful) you need to book tickets for both passengers and bike as separate "travellers".
Compartments range from basic to OK with own shower/WC, make sure you are clear about what type you want and how private it has to be check the website for details.
Breakfast included and snacks supplied but we planned to take our own evening meal.

Check out

https://www.seat61.com/

"Cabins are either a bunk in a shared compartment of five, two bunks in a private compartment with a sink where you use a shared shower room, and a deluxe twin bunk cabin with a shower.

I recommend the second option as a good compromise between privacy and space.

I've been from Dusseldorf to Swarzach-am-Veit in Austria (no longer available) and Munich (early morning arrival) and from Allesandria in Northern Italy back to Dusseldorf.

The service is excellent but as others have said, it books up really quickly.

Dusseldorf is an easy day's ride from Rotterdam or Ijmuiden if using ferries from Newcastle, Hull or Harwich.

Thanks for the info everyone. It looks like it's booked up for the dates I want, so I will have to try it out next year.

Often thought about this but ditched the idea as the journey is still part of the adventure. But as I get older, it definitely is getting more attractive. Often thought about that Northampton company too getting your bike to Geneva - anybody had experience of them? Is it bikeshuttle?

Decent alternative for the OP?

I think we might try Düsseldorf to Verona next year possibly for the WSBK at Imola and ride home.

Having been in Verona this morning I can tell you the weather was bloody lovely, unlike the weather here !

Often thought about this but ditched the idea as the journey is still part of the adventure. But as I get older, it definitely is getting more attractive. Often thought about that Northampton company too getting your bike to Geneva - anybody had experience of them? Is it bikeshuttle?

Decent alternative for the OP?

Euro Bike Trans, who ship the bikes by truck from the DSV depot in Manchester to Pisa are also a good alternative :beerjug:

I received an e mail from Railtravelshop today advising that the operator has pulled the plug on the Dusseldorf to Verona Motorail service. They are negotiating with a different operator and will confirm by November 30th if that is possible.

They are suggesting the alternative is Dusseldorf to Innsbruck, something i will consider but not really what we were hoping for.

FYI, now rebooked, same route Düsseldorf to Verona

Just for a laugh looked at the prices for late July travelling from Dusseldorf to Innsbruck with the bike returning 11 days later on the same route, wife and I in a cabin (with bogs down the corridor) ........ 817 euros .

Last year stopping in a 4 star hotel on the way down and the same on the way back was under 200 euros , add another 250 to 300 euros for meals and fuel , not really my cup of tea and the journey is part of the holiday

FYI, now rebooked, same route Düsseldorf to Verona

I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding a one way booking in September 18', nothing yet and the web booking isn't live.

I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding a one way booking in September 18', nothing yet and the web booking isn't live.
have pm’d an e mail address and contact names.

Just for a laugh looked at the prices for late July travelling from Dusseldorf to Innsbruck with the bike returning 11 days later on the same route, wife and I in a cabin (with bogs down the corridor) ........ 817 euros .

Last year stopping in a 4 star hotel on the way down and the same on the way back was under 200 euros , add another 250 to 300 euros for meals and fuel , not really my cup of tea and the journey is part of the holiday

For us it’s part of the adventure, no it’s not cheap and we may/may not do it again but we will have been to Düsseldorf and travelled south through Europe on a train. If you have read Marcus Trescothicks autobiography, you will know why I have great empathy with him on four star hotels.

In conversation, seems an expensive way to save a days riding. Wouldn't one of the Bike trans companies like Overlanders be a better option?

In conversation, seems an expensive way to save a days riding. Wouldn't one of the Bike trans companies like Overlanders be a better option?

I looked at several options, including loading the bike at Wooten Bassett, then flying to Nice, riding all the way and the train we have booked ticked our boxes. We were not looking for the cheapest, but experience and time were the main ones. Cheapest in my experience rarely means better whether that’s bikes, flights, hotels.

For every way of going from A to D via B and C that someone chooses, there will be two (or more) other ways of going, that someone will say would be better / quicker / slower / cheaper. People are free to chose their own ways and be happy with what they have chosen. Yes, it’s possible to go cheaper than via the auto train but that’s what the fellow has chosen to do for HIS holiday, after looking at the alternatives. ymfb is prepared to spend the money - and hopefully enjoy the train ride - as a part of HIS holiday, as an alternative to doing and spending something else. Wish him bon voyage and ask him to tell us all about it when he comes back.

Changes afoot.. The service from dusseldorf to Verona went to tender and is now being run by a different company. Please read this paste of a friendly and informative reply from (Sam) the previous operator :rolleyes:

Thank you for your email, interest and patience regarding the Motorail service Düsseldorf – Verona 2018.

Despite earlier news that the motorail (in cooperation with Railtravelshop) would be running in 2018 we are informing you that this is unfortunately not the case.

We have considered offering this service with the new operator well and have eventually decided against it.

The motorail provider of 2015 – 2017 could not operate the service next year and we have tried to find an appropriate solution. Yet, due to increased costs on the Italian part of the journey Düsseldorf – Verona, the operator BahnTouristikExpress (motorail Hamburg – Lörrach and AlpenExpress NL – AT) with its excellent material is not able to exploit the service anymore. In the meantime, the operator UrlaubsExpress has stepped up and claimed the service to Verona. We will not offer this service though, as we do not cooperate with UrlaubsExpress. The material, the execution of the service and its quality (train/ wagon cancellations, water shortages, defect airconditioning and blocked toilet facilities) do not meet the level you rightly expect as a customer. Please have a look on the following page for an impression: https://www.tripadvisor.de/ShowTopic-g1-i11063-k10765504-Autoreisezug-Train_Travel.html.
Please note that we do not recommend travelling with this operator, we stress the risk of booking with UrlaubsExpress. The operator requires early and high deposits and its journeys are not covered by a guarantee scheme. Most likely, the name “Autoslaaptrein” will be used again for the motorail service Düsseldorf – Verona.

We take this opportunity to point out the daily motorail service Düsseldorf – Innsbruck which is run by the ÖBB (Austrian Railways). This alternative offers a quick loading procedure, practical traveltimes and modern sleeper (with shower and toilet) and couchette compartments. The ÖBB service costs less than the Verona motorail as well. Please let us know if you are interested in this service. We would be happy to send you a quote.

Best regards,

Railtravelshop team

cid:image028.jpg@01D356F0.DB2437C0

Sam van der Werf

I want to get down to Turkey next September but only have 3 weeks home/home, this could save me a day or 2.
I've also been in touch with the very friendly and helpful Dave who runs Bulgaria bike shipping and he thinks that he could provide either a one way or return trip for me..I'd want one way as I want to visit friends in Venice on the return.
Anyway, there are various ways so it comes down to personal preference and choice ultimately :D

In the days when men were men and rode bikes rather than wasting valuable time online arguing about Brexit and the likes with (other) grumpy old men :thumb

Shouldn’t you be pointing out to him that traveling from IV30 to civilization is a day before you even get going on your holiday :D

Back
Top Bottom