The Ardennes and Eifel

leedude03

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Some of the times and roads I've been on down there. From givet the river road to Revin then on bouillon some of the nicest rides.

It is indeed a good site to get routes from, Lee.

The whole area is littered with great roads. It's much closer to Calais and the Dutch ports than the Alps, easily within a morning's fast ride range, so great for even just a weekend away to have fun.

As i recall the downloaded route does not come with the listed fortifications marked on the .gpx file, so i have made one up with the places listed in numbered order, they are as near as i can make them the same as the map on the website, download from my dropbox. forgot to mention you will need to transfer the points as well as the route as they are markers of places and not waypoints on the route, i did it this way as some points are not on the road.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5b7rpnwb4bfwe9/route de fortifications.gpx?dl=0

As i recall the downloaded route does not come with the listed fortifications marked on the .gpx file, so i have made one up with the places listed in numbered order, they are as near as i can make them the same as the map on the website, download from my dropbox. forgot to mention you will need to transfer the points as well as the route as they are markers of places and not waypoints on the route, i did it this way as some points are not on the road.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5b7rpnwb4bfwe9/route de fortifications.gpx?dl=0

Indeed, Lee is right. The points shown on the original website are just a guide. For example, point 1 (the start) is in the centre of the town, whilst the castle is - I happen to know - up on the bluff, across the river. By switching from Garmin's map into Open Street Maps, I could sometimes see small roads or paths (invisible or not present on the Garmin map) leading almost to were Lee had dropped his markers. Follow local signs, would be my advice.

Holy Crap, yet another route to add to my list, each year I ride more and the list still gets longer!

Stayed In Bouillon last year.Some great places to ride.

Back
Top Bottom