Bike Security - Pragmasis Chain

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
(frustratingly pics are not in sequence)

I wanted to share with you a setup I just purchased for my GSA (when mobile) Bike Security.

Its rather elegant I thought, and a decent set up.

I eventually chose the Pragmasis 13mm Bike Chain (2 Meters). 13mm hardened steel is the minimum recommended to defeat Bolt Croppers (these are guaranteed) as carefully hardened but remains tensile.

Yes it won't defeat portable Grinders, but it'll slow them down at least.

I found out by accident, that the 13mm chain FITS through the rear axle and wheel on the 2017 GSA Triple Black.

So now I needed the lightest weight padlock solution. Which turns out to be a RL21 Round Lock. Like a dumbell, easy to use (just use a key to split into two parts, feed through the chain link and connect back together.

Quote "Our custom-made SecurityForBikes RL21 RoundLock super-compact padlock. Sold Secure Motorcycle Gold/Quad & ATV Gold/Bicycle Gold/Motor Scooter Gold approved with any appropriately-approved chain and also on its own (e.g. as a disc lock). "

I wrapped a thick cable tie to the lead chain link so it can easily be pulled through the axle with care.

It really is an elegant solution as it now can't be pulled back through the wheel and axle.

I've used a Noose Chain so it can be threaded through a ground anchor (outside) or around some immovable object.

I have a more durable durable solution for at home (which for obvious reasons I can't share).

What do you think?

Attachments

• Pragmasis 1.jpg
    Pragmasis 1.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 4,363
  • Pragmasis 2.jpg
    Pragmasis 2.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 4,194
  • Pragmasis 3.jpg
    Pragmasis 3.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 4,149
  • Pragmasis 4.jpg
    Pragmasis 4.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 4,132
Some more pics.... :beerjug:

Attachments

• Pragmasis 5.jpg
    Pragmasis 5.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 4,222
  • Pragmasis 6.jpg
    Pragmasis 6.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 4,172
  • Pragmasis 7.jpg
    Pragmasis 7.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 4,189
  • Pragmasis 8.jpg
    Pragmasis 8.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 4,103
Never heard about that lock but seems to be good and can see that it works well.

What is the total weight of the chain and the lock?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Never heard about that lock but seems to be good and can see that it works well.

What is the total weight of the chain and the lock?

The Lock Weight is: 0.55kg

The Chain Weight is: 2.9kg per Meter

So I thought not so bad, considering it locks the rear wheel and axle! rather than through frame (that could be easily cut if they just want the bike for parts) or wrapped around a wheel that could be removed.

Axle = engine removal lol

Using the Rear Wheel hub side for the lock, also shields it a little bit from the weather. It looks really neat, I thought.

I do something similar. Chain through hollow wheel spindle then through ground anchor at home or something big when out. I have a fairly heavy chain and lock but yours looks the business. I also use a disc lock on the front. If it's a relatively safe area I just have thick sheathed cable to link the crash bar onto something solid, I also use it to fasten my helmet to the bike in rough areas when I use the big chain.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I do something similar. Chain through hollow wheel spindle then through ground anchor at home or something big when out. I have a fairly heavy chain and lock but yours looks the business. I also use a disc lock on the front. If it's a relatively safe area I just have thick sheathed cable to link the crash bar onto something solid, I also use it to fasten my helmet to the bike in rough areas when I use the big chain.

Thanks, I'll still probably come back to a skeleton and rear wheel and swing arm sat on the road, but at least I'm trying haha

Got it all from here http://securityforbikes.com

Would need a few big strong guys and a bit of time to unscrew it all then carry it off...

Would need a few big strong guys and a bit of time to unscrew it all then carry it off...

Like desperate Piranha's jumping out the gutter.... stripped in seconds amongst a frenzy of spanners and eBay listings.

I may be being a big thick here, but pragmasis designed the Anti-pinch pin for hollow axles. Looks much easier than threading the chain through.

http://securityforbikes.com/anti-pinch-pin.php

Yes indeed. The Anti-Pinch Pins are not in stock at the moment (and I needed a solution right now as going away this weekend). They're currently being manufactured due early next month so I understand (and saw).

I actually visited Pragmasis yesterday and had a guided tour of their factory by their founder and boss Steve Briggs (only because I bumped into him by chance and we got chatting).

The Anti-Pinch Pins are a lot heavier for 'mobile' use... but perfect for home use. Just depends how much weight you want to be carrying around.

I'm actually going to use both, but for touring or travelling, every kg saved is a good thing. With the Anti-Pinch Pin you need the chain, pin and a Shire heavy duty lock. The way described above you just need a chain and the lock, that's it. Its much lighter solution for us with the GS bikes.

Also, this dumbell lock I purchased can be used as a disk lock on its own, so it's a double benefit and lightweight (relative)

I got a 2m x16mm Pragmasis chain, Anti Pinch Pin and two keyed alike padlocks to give me lots of combinations. Top kit. It's mainly for home use but it has been taken to the centre of Portsmouth on occasions. It's one of four mechanical locks I use - I don't use the steering lock.

As I remember, the looped end on a lasso chain isn't as tough as the other links. That's why I chose a second padlock to loop it back to itself. Remember, keep the chain hanging.

I got a 2m x16mm Pragmasis chain, Anti Pinch Pin and two keyed alike padlocks to give me lots of combinations. Top kit. It's mainly for home use but it has been taken to the centre of Portsmouth on occasions. It's one of four mechanical locks I use - I don't use the steering lock.

As I remember, the looped end on a lasso chain isn't as tough as the other links. That's why I chose a second padlock to loop it back to itself. Remember, keep the chain hanging.

Oh... I thought the chain loop was for the perpetrators neck as I ride off? Maybe got the wrong end of the stick with 'Noose Chain' and 'keep them hanging'. My bad :p

Keep the chain hanging and don't lay it on the ground. Easy to attack on the floor.

"Noose" and "hanging" should feature in the punishment. ����

Another Pragmasis fan here. Ive got their 16mm and 19mm chains along with ground anchors to boot. Excellent service.

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom