Help needed Thetford area

cugsy

Reaction score
I'm trying to check the valve clearances on my 850gs. I've done other bikes before with screw adjusters and even watched all the videos I can for the beemer. I'm sure of 3 three things - I'm doing it wrong finding OT (TDC), the clearances are way tight or I'm doing it all wrong.
Anyone live within a reasonable journey of Thetford and could come over and hit me on the head or show me where I'm going wrong. John

obviously I will reward you handsomely...I've got some photos of the mother in law somewhere.

If not there is an ex bmw tech Kevin who works in Ashwellthorpe

KRF motorcycles 07501 275345

I'm 99% certain I've got the TDC right. But the clearances seem so tight it worries me that the 1% will bite me

Remove Spark plugs (If not already done )

Bike on centre stand and Centre stand tied forward to front wheel so that it cannot collapse when you are working at it !! (<- Trust me on this!!!)

Whilst rotating the rear wheel back and forwards, nudge the gear lever up until you can get it into top gear

With rocker covers off (?) start bumping the top of the rear in the normal direction of travel

Watch the inlet valves .........Open and then start to Close again

As they "approach" the fully closed watch the cam sprockets (Better if you have a decent torch

Basically there are two arrows 180 degrees apart

If you have watched the valve spring compress and then open on ONE side as the cam sprocket ARRIVES at TDC the arrows will be pointing horizontally

Adjust the Rocker Check End float (and adjust if necessary) first and THEN do the valve clearances on THAT side

Watch the other side inlet open and then close again and set that side too

Inlet 0.15mm and exhaust 0.3mm

Got all that Dr Z but I still can't believe the clearances are so tight I can only get 0.05mm in one inlet and 0.10mm in one of the exhaust valves. I mean it could be way out clearances and I'm right for a change...

If you only have those clearances?? Then adjust the fecking things! Dont just stand there looking at them

P.S. Are you sure you are on the correct cylinder @tdc??

Got all that Dr Z but I still can't believe the clearances are so tight I can only get 0.05mm in one inlet and 0.10mm in one of the exhaust valves. I mean it could be way out clearances and I'm right for a change...

First things - Noddy came around to my place this morning and agreed that the clearances were tight. They are now sorted. Been out on the bike and it's betterer! Thanks to Noddy (Graham) and everyone else with advise...

Secondly - Dr Z. Are you really that much of a gobby twat? Or was it in jest...hopefully in jest. I'm not likely to feck something up if I can get a second opinion (face to face is better) and it costs me a hour or two of waiting. Anyway, no harm done. Bike sorted.

Secondly - Dr Z Are you really that much of a gobby twat?

Actually I am the person that spent 10 minutes typing that all up for you to assist you in setting your clearances ???

Or was it in jest...hopefully in jest.
it was more disbelief that you had all the information to hand and hadn;t done something with it!

I'm not likely to feck something up if I can get a second opinion (face to face is better) and it costs me a hour or two of waiting.
Fair enough that is a sensible move "if" you are not confident

Anyway, no harm done. Bike sorted.

Good! May I wish you many miles of safe motorcycling!

Back
Top Bottom