New Bike - Corrosion Test

You lot lost me when someone mentioned "enjoying" cleaning their bike. WTF is that all about? :loopy

Old age, retirement & time rich. When you get here, you'll understand.

Old age, retirement & time rich. When you get here, you'll understand.

It's therapeutic lying in the garage under the bike with a rag soaked in ACF50 :thumb2:) By 8am yesterday I'd cleaned and dried the bike, cleaned dried and polished the car... and this morning I've already cleaned , hoovered and polished my daughters car, walked the dog , dropped the mrs and daughter in town, and mowed the lawn.

The joy of only working part time :cool:

I have come to wonder if BMW are not purposely prepping their bikes in this poor way to make them look rugged and aged in fitting with the mold of a true adventure rider ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shabby chic you know it's very fashionable, paint something then rub all the edges with sand paper. They should sell it as a feature. Would aid the painful convince your wife "it's a good buy love" process.

Good man! Absolutely agree. All vehicles need a bit of TLC once in while. I also went the hammerite route knowing it will rust, even before the chipping and rusting started.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Hammerite Smooth black is actually a nice finish isn't it :beerjug:

It's therapeutic lying in the garage under the bike with a rag soaked in ACF50 :thumb2:) By 8am yesterday I'd cleaned and dried the bike, cleaned dried and polished the car... and this morning I've already cleaned , hoovered and polished my daughters car, walked the dog , dropped the mrs and daughter in town, and mowed the lawn.

Haha +1

Working part time is also a winner.

Good life choice, good man :beerjug:

I'm moving to mid Wales in July. Big garden, one car and two bikes - you could pop over for a few days if you want! If you've done all the work by 0830 the rest of the day is your own! :beerjug:

I'm moving to mid Wales in July. Big garden, one car and two bikes - you could pop over for a few days if you want! If you've done all the work by 0830 the rest of the day is your own! :beerjug:

Sure, we charge £200 per hour plus expenses in advance each. When do you want us over?

This ain't a real survey but there was a flock of GS's in a car park up here and I got a shufty at four new LC's and seven older GS's later that afternoon, well three of the new bikes had a poor finish perhaps not bad corrosion but it was there and it shouldn't have been on nearly new bikes. As far as I could see none of the older bikes had anything like corrosion. Not a perfect survey but if I had the el dinero to buy a new bike ( which I haven't) I'm afraid it wouldn't be a you know what which is sad to say. Enyone else ever done a look see amongst parked bikes. Did a full service on my older gsa 2012 and appart from a few spots of rust on bolt heads nowt was seen but dried coo poo. PS wonder if coo poo protects against rust, could be I remember we used waxoyl back in the good/ bad old days, well that wasn't much good either it washed off more or less straight away.

I'm all of those things - but haven't yet been afflicted by the need to clean things... :p

Haha very good.

My mate is like that, never cleans any of his bikes except special occasions like Trade in.

Right, I've got the perfect comparison bike for this rust fiasco.

Yesterday I met up with one of our riding lads who Purchased a brand new BMW R1200GS Adventure Triple Black in October 2016.

It wasn't a demo bike, it was straight off the production line directly to him as the new owner.

Its IDENTICAL to mine except his is exactly 6 months older. Mine was registered in March 2017.

Now here is the key part. Due to his circumstances he has only ever used Jet Washing facilities from a local garage forecourt. So he's been using the dreaded Caustic Acid Foam cleaner.

Here are his pictures (THIS IS NOT MY BIKE, BUT A 6 MONTH OLD GSA TRIPLE BLACK ONLY EVER CLEANING WITH A JET WASH AND CAUSTIC ACID CLEANER)

Attachments

• Rust1.jpg
    Rust1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 518
  • Rust2.jpg
    Rust2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 536
  • Rust3.jpg
    Rust3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 519
  • Rust0.jpg
    Rust0.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 522
The damage is starting already, and I've strongly advised him to stop using the FOAM cycle on the Jet Wash and only use the WATER cycle.

I've also suggested he takes a small container (fits into his top box), a Microfibre cloth and rust inhibitor car wash solution so he can wash his bike at the Jet Wash (but using his own stuff).

Also suggested he get it detailed and ACF50 immediately to prevent further damage.

Attachments

• Rust4.jpg
    Rust4.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 526
  • Rust5.jpg
    Rust5.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 556
  • Rust6.jpg
    Rust6.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 519
  • Rust7.jpg
    Rust7.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 528
My bike looks NOTHING like this. In fact mine still looks BRAND NEW.

His bike is 2016 '66' Reg and only done 2700 miles
My bike is 2017 '17' Reg and only done 3900 miles (more than his!)

We both live in the same region of the same country, we ride the same roads and do the same things. We have exactly the same weather and climate.

The ONLY exception is I wash mine by hand, and he Jet Washes his in Caustic Acid Foam Cleaner (like ALL garage forecourt Jet Washers)

The other exception is his has gone through a very mild English Winter (however this year was very mild and there was not salt for extended periods, a few days at most). With his mileage so low it wouldn't have been exposed for long and he jet washed it immediately afterwards). So this would be a small factor

In my opinion it isn't BMW quality, it's owners using Industrial Chemicals on their bikes.

My 2015 bike looks almost new after 25,000 miles - the bike above clearly has not been looked after. A new guy at work has a 16 plate Triumph Sprint and it looks 10 years older than my bike, so all manufacturers are pretty much the same.

Warlord, can we also see pics of your bike - exact same parts as the pics you've posted of your friends bike?

Partially agree with you - a lot depends on how an individual maintains (i.e, the chemicals they use)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Very interesting I think we may have to refer to you as Dr Warlord from now on. I, like others am always surprised how people treat a 14k + bike like shit and moan when it starts to deteriorate. I accept that some go even when cherished but that is not the norm. I accept these are 'rusty tufty' bikes for toying the galaxy (which they still will with a bit of corrosion) but they still need to be looked after.

Warlord, can we also see pics of your bike - exact same parts as the pics you've posted of your friends bike?

Partially agree with you - a lot depends on how an individual maintains (i.e, the chemicals they use)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sure. I've just wheeled my bike out of the garage and these pictures were taken today (2nd July 2017). Mileage is 3962.

I've not applied any special cleaning remedy to 'boost' my point of view, just wheeled it out and took the pictures as you asked.

The only really notable concern for me are the scratches on the rear swing arm from putting the centre stand down. I'm going to remedy this today.

I've always used AutoGlym products for washing, waxing, tar removal, vinyl protection. Always had nice stuff and I ride in all weathers.

Attachments

• Warlord2.jpg
    Warlord2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 493
  • Warlord3.jpg
    Warlord3.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 482
  • Warlord1.jpg
    Warlord1.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 493
  • Warlord0.jpg
    Warlord0.jpg