ventureshield and mirrors No 71

Iver

Reaction score
My local dealer had an open day at Bury hill near Arundel W.Sussex last weekend. Good weather attracted a steady turnover , although it is always popular with bikes of all types and makes.
My point is that whilst there I saw a few RT's with out venture shield, neither were that old, both under three years, but both had signs of paint damage from various chips. Also saw a man who had bought the set, and applied it himself. Now on his own admission, he said that it wasn't a very good job, one pannier, looked like a sandwich wrapped in Clingfilm, so he was resigned to having it done properly.
The same man said that I would be wise to have it applied to my bike. I then pointed out that I had, and on most of the bike as well, all the front ,including the headlight, all the panniers and top box, the complete fairing and side flanks, and nearly all the petrol tank. The sculptured dimple bits remain uncovered, as does the small piece forward of the petrol tank. The same man then said that it was the best application that he had seen to date, this view was also shared by the dealer.
Now at the time I did say that I thought it a bit dear, having been quoted £290, and then the final bill coming in at £410. Having just typed the figures, it still seems dear, but the bike is 95% covered, with a five year guarantee, and a first class job. I don't know what it would cost to have the paint touched up, but the bike would be gone for a week maybe longer, especially if BMW had to touch it up.

Also saw a new RT with extra mirrors, not exactly aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but they do take care of the blind spot. I have now realised that this is coursed by the mirrors being set lower than the handle bars, which is not that common on bikes. You therefore look under your arms, as opposed to over the top. As a result you have to adapt your riding style when pulling out.
Still enjoying the bike and experimenting with the different riding modes, which make some big changes.
Would recommend the RT and ventureshield.

My local dealer had an open day at Bury hill near Arundel W.Sussex last weekend. Good weather attracted a steady turnover , although it is always popular with bikes of all types and makes.
My point is that whilst there I saw a few RT's with out venture shield, neither were that old, both under three years, but both had signs of paint damage from various chips. Also saw a man who had bought the set, and applied it himself. Now on his own admission, he said that it wasn't a very good job, one pannier, looked like a sandwich wrapped in Clingfilm, so he was resigned to having it done properly.
The same man said that I would be wise to have it applied to my bike. I then pointed out that I had, and on most of the bike as well, all the front ,including the headlight, all the panniers and top box, the complete fairing and side flanks, and nearly all the petrol tank. The sculptured dimple bits remain uncovered, as does the small piece forward of the petrol tank. The same man then said that it was the best application that he had seen to date, this view was also shared by the dealer.
Now at the time I did say that I thought it a bit dear, having been quoted £290, and then the final bill coming in at £410. Having just typed the figures, it still seems dear, but the bike is 95% covered, with a five year guarantee, and a first class job. I don't know what it would cost to have the paint touched up, but the bike would be gone for a week maybe longer, especially if BMW had to touch it up.

Also saw a new RT with extra mirrors, not exactly aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but they do take care of the blind spot. I have now realised that this is coursed by the mirrors being set lower than the handle bars, which is not that common on bikes. You therefore look under your arms, as opposed to over the top. As a result you have to adapt your riding style when pulling out.
Still enjoying the bike and experimenting with the different riding modes, which make some big changes.
Would recommend the RT and ventureshield.

I agree 100% re Ventureshield, & have had my last few bikes covered, including my Iconic. I had mine done at Bodyguard UK in Daventry, & although he will sell a kit, I'd no more try to fit it myself, than I would try to plaster a few ceilings at home.
He did rectify a mates bike that had been done badly, saying the corduroy finish was unusual.:blast
As to the blind spot that seems to bedevil you, I guess it's down to variations in body size, & posture, but I've never noticed a problem with the R1100, through the R1150 to the various 1200's.

I'm not the biggest bloke in the world,5'6'' and 29'' inside leg, so maybe it is my size that causes the problem with the blind spot, some thing I'll have to live with.
Also asked about having the Wunderlich bar risers, put on before our trip to Lake Annecy in July. The dealer wasn't keen saying that he thinks it might affect the warranty due to a slight 'tightening' of the control cables. He had seen other bikes with it done, but by the customers themselves. I don't want any problems if an issue should arise.
Also do BMW still issue the credit card style services card ? Not received one so far, if they do.

I'm 5' 8" with a 29" inside leg and have no blind spots in my mirrors, they are very good. I'm stating the obvious perhaps but have you adjusted them properly? :D

I have just posted a pair of Extra mirrors suitable for air cooled RTs. in the For Sale section.
Rob

I have the Wunderlich mirrors on my RT, and then the stock mirrors set to much wider than they would normally be.

With the older RTs, I wasn't happy with the view from stock mirrors (kept seeing my hands) and got some GS ones, this is my second LC and whilst the view from stock mirrors is much improved, having the higher mirrors is IMHO easier and gives a better view.

Back
Top Bottom