1190 Adv remapping

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've had the 1190 for about 3 weeks now, and I'm very pleased with it - I certainly don't need any more power.

But I do find at low speed constant throttle it could be a wee bit smoother, it seems to be constantly correcting itself trying to find comfortable revs. The bike only has 5k miles on it so it's still settling in but I suspect there's more to it than that.

I'm not that keen to replace exhaust parts or cut off the cat, but would be interested in anyone's experiences of different remapping options.

First option as always is do nothing.

My preferred option is to remap with existing silencer and cat - maybe replace the silencer with a smaller/lighter job in future.

Third option is new can and keep the Cat and remap,

and the fourth is to the whole hog, decat, new can, remap.

What is the advice of the collective who've experienced these?

I have had a few bikes re-mapped and they have all felt a lot better....

...more so with the modern stuff that struggles so much with the stupid emissions regs that just cause vehicles to run like shit at low revs / throttle openings.

CJS Racing in Bristol I think can also re-map the stock KTM ECU, but Hilltop seem to have some happy punters around here.

..... do I NEED to change the silencer ...

IMO no, unless you have a full on tune and are chasing small single figure bhp increases then it's purely aesthetic. I bunged a Wings shorty on mine purely 'cos I don't like the looks of the hooooooge KTM can.

Andres

IMO no, unless you have a full on tune and are chasing small single figure bhp increases then it's purely aesthetic. I bunged a Wings shorty on mine purely 'cos I don't like the looks of the hooooooge KTM can.

Andres

I'm probably going to bung a Wings shorty on mine but do you actually need the remap or does it punt out more power than a 1290 without bothering?

I'm probably going to bung a Wings shorty on mine but do you actually need the remap or does it punt out more power than a 1290 without bothering?

It would seem that in moving to the 1290 lump KTM have neutered the bikes performance so yeah I reckon the 1190 puts out way more power without bothering :D

In reality I think the power differences discussed in the other thread are down to different dynos. Arsey's and Giles's bikes were done on Hilltop's brand spanker, the rest of us had ours done on their old dyno so we're not comparing like for like (but don't tell Arsey 'cos I like winding him up :D ). I can't actually believe that the 1290 puts out less power than the 1190??

Geoff didn't seem to think the 1190 needed a re-map 'because of the Wings' but it defo helped with my combination of Wings and DNA filter. The remap is lovely anyway primarily 'cos it gives you a great midrange and fuelling (as Giles was saying).

If you think the Wings can (or any other make for that matter) is going to make a modern bike put out more power then then it's a big no. Bung it on for looks/weight saving/sound but not for more power.

Andres

My understanding of the Hilltop re map option is ...

Get it done with whatever setup you currently have Vis a Vis exhausts and cans etc which will sort out the fueling ( i believe KTM are as bad as BMW for running way too lean)

I think *** that the Hill top map will learn should you then go on to change the headers cat and can so still worth doing now.

*** Probably a load of tosh

I think *** that the Hill top map will learn should you then go on to change the headers cat and can so still worth doing now.

*** Probably a load of tosh

Nope, that sounds right. I asked Geoff about running no baffle and/or de-catting post the re-map and he said that the system would 'learn' and compensate for the changes, no need to go back to him.

Andres

Nope, that sounds right. I asked Geoff about running no baffle and/or de-catting post the re-map and he said that the system would 'learn' and compensate for the changes, no need to go back to him.

Andres

I'm not so sure. My XR was running terribly once the original system went back on, and didn't relearn, so had to be remapped again locally to sort it out apparently.

Back
Top Bottom