Which rear brake pads should I buy?

Brembo red/yellow/green/blue
Most use red
Think blue are track use only take a while to heat up so I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My previous set were Goldfren. Shock Horror.

Indeed, my R1 had Goldfren pads when I bought it. It was "unstoppable" (boom, tish).

I was advised by those in the know to throw the Goldfrens into the sea to prevent anyone else using them.

rear brake does very little - get the cheapest of known brands (EBC, Brembo etc)

I must be using mine wrong. I'm always on the back brake. Handy for scrubbing of a bit of speed if a corner suddenly gets tighter than I was expecting and very hand in traffic.

Back brake should be used for slow manoeuvring control and under 20mph braking

Beginners use their back brake too much; intermediates think they should only use it for slow manoeuvres; fast and smooth riders use it loads!!
... Smooth out delivery; reduce drive without unsettling the bike; deeper braking, etc.
Often best learnt off road.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Well I'm not intermediate, but agree on off road skills much improve riding skills

Front brake back brake arguments are mostly nullified by modern linked brakes. JJH

Front brake back brake arguments are mostly nullified by modern linked brakes. JJH
Nope!
You often need to use rear brake only; that's why the rear brake pedal operates the rear brake only.

Nope!
You often need to use rear brake only; that's why the rear brake pedal operates the rear brake only.

Is that on every bike with combined brake systems? JJH

Think some ancient Guzzis were different... Back when brakes needed all the friction they could get!

Beginners use their back brake too much; intermediates think they should only use it for slow manoeuvres; fast and smooth riders use it loads!!
... Smooth out delivery; reduce drive without unsettling the bike; deeper braking, etc.
Often best learnt off road.

Exactly. I only use it when I need it though... I'd rather be in the right gear at the a good rpm point that gives me acceleration and engine braking with the twist of my wrist. If I havn't looked far enough ahead or it get's too tight back brake all the way... front brake unsettles the bike.

I'm putting HH on mine next.

I've just fitted a set of BMW original rear pads as others don't seem to last. Fecking expensive but time will tell.

What about Hondas? Or do you know? JJH
Sorry, I don't do Japanese bikes!
My only dalliance in recent years was a 2011, CABS equipped Fireblade. That had an advanced brake system. The back did not operate the front though.

(also a 2004 R1, and I have a 2015 CRF250L in at the moment.... But they aren't linked at all).

Pan European, Blackbird, VFR800, Varadero, CBR1000F and Goldwings all have CBS. Front brake includes rear braking, rear brake adds front and additional rear effect after a timed delay. About 5 seconds iirc.
There may be differences between each models systems, but basically they all work in much the same way.

Pan European, Blackbird, VFR800, Varadero, CBR1000F and Goldwings all have CBS. Front brake includes rear braking, rear brake adds front and additional rear effect after a timed delay. About 5 seconds iirc.
There may be differences between each models systems, but basically they all work in much the same way.

and deauvilles JJH

My point was that linked brakes of whatever flavour largley take the decision about how much braking effort front to back to apply out of our hands. If you use back brake only the rear pads will wear. if you use front brake only the rear pads will wear if you use a combination oif both the rear brake will still wear. The ammount of braking force applied front to back has been taken out of our hands. Hence my origional post. JJH

Doing The Alps in June - still a bit of meat on the pads that were there but insufficient to give me peace of mind on a 3,000+ mile ride so opted for a set of BMW sintered ... should see me for a few years :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom