Garmin Zumo RoadTech 590LM and Basecamp

Pauleduc

Reaction score
When I plot a new route using Basecamp, I use the pencil tool to insert points along my desired route. When I download the final route to my 590LM GPS, there are two different symbols along the route: little dots (like in Basecamp) as well as little orange flags. I am trying to understand the difference between these.. they both seem to behave as waypoints on the GPS, although I never specifically selected waypoints in Basecamp. There are no waypoint flags on the PC when using Basecamp. The orange flags along the route in the GPS seem to randomly appear along the route, in place of the pencil-tool dots I had selected in Basecamp.

Can someone please clarify the difference?

The little orange flags are announced waypoints

The little blue dots are unannounced shaping points

Both will have been created when you carved your route out in BaseCamp. How you change a flag to a dot (and a dot to a flag) varies whether you create routes in BaseCamp on a Mac or on a PC. You can also do the conversion with your device itself.

See the thread: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/454406-How-do-I-get-points-announced-please

Post #7

There are lots of other threads on how the flags and blue points behave. Some are even quite good.

How to change a waypoints or shaping point on a Zumo 590

Edit a trip using the Trip Planner App
Turn device on
select Apps
select Trip Planner
Select a listed route
select 3 bars Top Left hand of screen
select Edit Destinations
as you scroll down the route you will see on the left of screen dots (shaping points un-annonced) and flags (waypoints announced)
Touch the icon (dot or flag) if its a dot it will just change to a flag as you touch right on it, if its a flag you will get a "Duration and arrival times will be removed-change to shaping point?" window pop up select yes or no as desired

Start and end points cannot be changed

Touch Save

Sorted

Thanks

Ok, thank you both for the info.. I was able to toggle the flags off using both the PC and the GPS.

My next question is WHY the waypoint flags were introduced in the first place when I was using the shaping point tool? They seemed to be random, and in my case they seemed to appear when I placed a shaping point near restaurant along my route.. in fact, they enen took on the name of the restaurant! Is there some setting to prevent waypoint flags from being set in the first place?

The software creates waypoints (flags) by default in BaseCamp. Why? Garmin designed it that way.

I can guess why:

1. Most people will use BaseCamp to design a route from A to B for them. This is why Garmin have introduced all the Motorbike / Twisty / Hilly route preferences. People are happy to let the software do it all for them.

2. Garmin then assume that, if the owner is happy with the route the software has offered up (why wouldn't they be?) then the only reason why an owner would then drag the route anywhere would be to take the rider through a specific point, say a restaurant or fuel station. The owner would not want to miss the point (or points) so Garmin makes them flagged waypoints.

The software allows you to convert waypoints to shaping points and visa-versa, see answer above.

To avoid creating waypoints when all you want are shaping points, create your routes in Mapsource, whose default position is to make any points where the owner had dragged a route onto a specific road, a shaping point. It too can convert shaping points into waypoints and visa-versa.

thanks

Ok, thanks.. one more question if you please..

When I use the GPS to go from A to B, and I miss a turn, the unit will tell me to turn around as it tries to make adjustments to the route.

If I plot a route with shaping points, and miss a waypoint while riding, there is no audible indication from the GPS.. it just tries to get me back to the missed waypoint. This can be a pain, as there may not be an easy way back.. for example, I was out riding and decided to bypass a turn and continue on... but the unit silently tried to return me to the missed waypoint. In my case, I was out in the middle of nowhere land, and was routed about 30 km in the wrong direction as it tried to get me back to the missed waypoint. Yes, I know there is a 'skip' option to bypass a waypoint, but it would have been really nice to get some sort of audible indication that I missed a waypoint in the first place. Is there some setting that will do this?

I don't use sound with my GPS, so I have no idea what bells and whistles it might (or might not) make, I guess via a Bluetooth headset if the device does not have an inbuilt speaker

But, here's some ideas....

(1) You can turn the auto-recalculate off. If you switch it instead to prompted then a message will flash up on the screen asking if you wish to recalculate yes or no. Then chose no. In theory it shouldn't recalculate but the new Nav VI is doing so, if there is a waypoint (flag) ahead of you on the route (see thread in the Nav VI section)

(2) You could get rid of all the announced waypoints (flags), turning them instead to (blue) shaping points.

There is no setting that i know of that tells you audibly that you have missed a waypoint. Yes it would make perfect sense to have that built in but to my knowledge it doesn't do that.

The skip function is a help, however what i do is create a track in Basecamp from my route.

This creates a line on the map of your intended roads you planned to use. It doesn't alter whereas the magenta calculated route can and does.
Once applied to your GPS map its a great reference to show you if you may have gone off route. if the track line is still in the magenta you are on your intended route:thumby: if the track line is missing you are no longer going your intended way. :nenau and the Zumo has routed you some where else. perhaps trying to get you back to a waypoint.

How to create a track?
In Basecamp in the lower LH window, next to the map, is your route you will have made with listed waypoints the route signified by two green squares and car icon(if using the driving activity profile). right click on this icon and select "create track from selected route".

After you have sent the route gpx file to the Zumo the track will have been sent with it, once data has been imported, select Apps --> Tracks --> select the created track --> Top LHS touch spanner icon --> tick show on map --> set colour scroll up and select black (seems to stand out best) save

Then activate your route the usual way Apps --> trip planner --> select route

So when the track line disappears (as you are riding along following the route) you can zoom out on the map and figure out immediately what is going on because the track will come into view and you can compare it to the calculated magenta route and then suss out what the zumo is up to.

+ 1 for Wappings advice setting the recalculate to prompt it works better when trying to follow a route. generally select NO when asked to recalculate and zoom out to find your way back only select yes as a last resort.

Hope this makes sense try it out on a test route and Track on familiar roads around where you live say a 5 mile route somewhere and deliberately ride off the route to see how the GPS handles your waypoints and shaping points by selecting No and Yes on recalculates. It will pay dividends for when you are in unfamiliar territory.

Once finished withe the track Use the same links to delete the track after you no longer require it Apps --> Tracks --> select the created track --> Top LHS touch spanner icon --> delete

This works for me

Back
Top Bottom