Puncture prevention

torpedoman

Reaction score
A pal of mine has recently had a pretty high speed blow out, and managed to stop on his bike, even though it tried to spit him off.
Adding that to my slight paranoia about such a thing happening to me (and my already slightly nervous pillion), what is the latest technology in the latest puncture prevention ? Is there any decent stuff out there these days ??

Or is it all poppycock put out by manufacturers ?

Thanks in advance folks

No way to stop a blow out as it's a big hole in the tyre through failure or being cut by something. You can run something like stans or slime to help stop normal punctures though. Word of warning though. If you have TPS it's a no no as it "can" break the sensor.

Run flat is round the corner but I don't think any manufacturer is using it yet if it ever does get used.

It's not really up to the sealant manufacturers. If the bike or TPS manufacture says no then it's no.

if it messes up the tyre pressure monitors i will make a claim against the supplier who told me it would be ok not with bmw

It's not really up to the sealant manufacturers. If the bike or TPS manufacture says no then it's no.

If you were to go down that road sealant would never be used again. I don't know any tyre manufacturer who endorse it. In fact they don't like it at all. JJH

If you were to go down that road sealant would never be used again. I don't know any tyre manufacturer who endorse it. In fact they don't like it at all. JJH
tyre manufactures don't like it cos it don't sell tyres

Depends what part of the world your In I guess. In the UK there is usually a "use in conjunction with whatever manufacturers recommendations" . So if say, bmw says no then you should not use their product. In other parts of the world you might well get away with it.

Most tyre companies will not change your tyres if told you have tyre seal inside , because of the mess it's makes , can't argue with that I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using Puncturesafe in my tyres for the last few years and it has not had an adverse impact on the tyre sensors (yet).

When the first tyre I used it in needed replacement I decided to stick a screw in the tyre to see how effective the stuff is...now while this was obviously nothing like riding conditions I was pleasantly surprised that the tyre lost little more than 1psi when I pulled the screw out.

Most tyre companies will not change your tyres if told you have tyre seal inside , because of the mess it's makes , can't argue with that I suppose

Never had an issue

Stuff looks great , only issue is on tyre change ,

I discussed with the agent the following:

Affect on TPS - changes in performance, does the water affect the TPS reading?

Any affect on balancing? No, the fluid is distributed by the rotation.

Will tyre fitter be pissed off when they take the tyre off ? No, it's fluid, pours out.

Can I inflate and deflate tyres for off reading - yes.

Do it reduce the max speed of he tyre before and after its been activated ? No

I discussed with the agent the following:

Affect on TPS - changes in performance, does the water affect the TPS reading?

Any affect on balancing? No, the fluid is distributed by the rotation.

Will tyre fitter be pissed off when they take the tyre off ? No, it's fluid, pours out.

Can I inflate and deflate tyres for off reading - yes.

Do it reduce the max speed of he tyre before and after its been activated ? No

Only reason I bought up tyre change , I've a friend who's bike fitter , his company charge a fee as these sort of puncture liquids make a massive mess of machines and work area
But as a product 10/10

Puncturesafe/Ultraseal are safe, water soluble and wipe up easily with paper towels etc. The aerosol foams however are a problem as local disposal sites often impose a charge for handling "hazardous" material

I don't know if they're any good on the road as I only just saw them used on the Dakar, but what about mousses?

I was with 8 other bikes on a trip Morocco.
Only one had used a sealant in his tyres.

Guess which was the only bike to have a puncture on the trip..... In fact two punctures :D.

Back
Top Bottom