Largs to Carlisle which road

guod

Reaction score
Hi, as the title says, have a trip from Largs to Carlisle, and onto the dales - question is A76 or A74(M) down from Largs, is the A76 a good road to ride or a pain. I'm in no rush but don't want to be stuck stop start either.

I'd take the a713 from Ayr to casltedouglas then on to Dumfries. Lovely ride down the side of loch Ken.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

A76. Decent bike road for a trunk route. Decent corners and plenty of overtaking opportunities.

Galloway is a lovely and much overlooked part of Scotland. If you have a GS there are a couple of forest drives in the Galloway national park and lots of interesting places to explore. Kirkcudbright is a gem and an artistic centre (Search on Glasgow boys) and Wigtown is Scotland's only Book Town. Nearby Isle of Whithorn was a base for for early Christianity, earlier than anywhere else in mainland Britain and there are loads of interesting archaeological sites. If you are into bucket listing then visit the Mull of Galloway. One of the four corners of Scotland. A decent coffee and a fine view of Ireland, the Isle of Man and across to Cumberland. On a good day!

VisitScotland? Bunch of amateurs! :D

Follow the coast. Mull of Galloway if you have time. Isle of Whithorn, Kirkcudbright, A711 and A710 to Dumfries. :beerjug:

Hi thanks, did the coast road on the way up from the ferry, fantasticcuntill about Irvine. Did the journey today and found the A76 good but far to many 40 footers on it, mad two in a line doing 40, don't get why they are using this raid with the motorway so close. Down by the lock the next time. Anyway, would have loved to go around the coast but needdd to get to York by the end of the day. Ended up b A76/74 and then M6 to turn off the Yorkshire dales at sedbough, had a great journey over to Ripon via Aysgarth, and on to York in commuter hell. But the dales, been 25 years since I was there, and the roads are simply ace. Thanks again for the ideas. Doug

Back
Top Bottom