Discounted Earplugs for members

sparkplug

Landlord
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
second from the left, third from the right
To show my support for ukGSer I will be offering custom molded Green Leopard earplugs at the discounted rate of £40 per pair on Sunday June 12th.

The event is a demo ride for Balderstons and it takes place from 10.00am at the Swan, Brandon Road, Hilborough, Nr Swaffham in Norfolk.

You don't need to take part in the ride, you can just turn up for your earplugs if you are in the area.

Please note that this offer is for a pair of solid full shell earplugs. Acoustic filters and electronics will also be available and discounts will be arranged on an individual basis.

See you there!

schiannini said:
Manch,

Yes we do.

PMed you

I wasn't too sure that I'd enjoy music on the move and tried out some MP3 music using my old iPAQ and some pretty good Sony earplugs this morning. Sound was OK up to about 60mph then it got gradually worse and unacceptabel after 70-75mph.

SO I thought about buying an AutoCom system THEN read your thread above. This sort of gives me a choice; buying the AutoCom Active-Rider Kit 3 or your Green Leopard earplugs.

Can you give an "warts 'n' all" argument of your product.

Many thanks

Bob

Schiannini, good deal! Do you know Haydon well? if so you probably know my sister, she does some work for them, top plugs have a set myself.

Bob, As it goes for the Autocom, I use plugs and the autocom (no filter's in plugs) and with the amplified plug in, they work really well cut alot of the wind noise down yet the music seems clearer.

Bob:
Monitors vs Autocom
[openwormcan]

Monitors will plug straight into an MP3 player and will cut out background noise so you will probably hear your music better at higher speeds. However they will offer you less protection than a solid earplug would.

Autocom / Starcom / Whatever is still probably the better option if you want to be able to use other stuff on the move such as your phone / gps. You can then have standard solid earplugs or you can have acoustic filters added to them which still offer a high protection while letting in the audio from your helmet speakers.

It is a tricky balance to strike. I don't really listen to music on the bike but have used the monitors and they worked well. I use my monitors more at work and for general use.
I do use my phone and gps a lot on the bike and find that a solid earplug and my Autocom work fine. On the rare occasions that I do listen to music on the bike I use my acoustically filtered plugs as you hear the music better.
But then I'm in the position to have three sets of earplugs :)

It really depends on your use. If you are absolutely sure that you will never want to use an intercom then the monitors are the way to go. If you think you might want to have an intercom then the monitors might not work as well together with the intercom as you will have a cable coming out of your ear which might end up pressing against the speaker in your helmet. Depends on your helmet and your head shape but with my Schuberth Concept the monitors are uncomfortable as the helmet speakers are quite close to the ear.
[/openwormcan]

I really hope some of that helps but pm me your phone number if you would like me to call you and talk it through...

Noel:
I do know Haydon quite well, is Marion your sister?

schiannini, my sister is katie she was at the BMF helping out, she mostly does the chameleon plugs in her lab, which is on the same site as green Leopards at Kettering.

Ah, yes. Met Katie and Phil at the BMF and fed them coffee. Really nice people.

Which means I think I probably met you too - didn't you come and sit on the back of the white van while having your lunch?

Thanks for the advice

Schiannini, Noel thanks for the update and advice - think I've got the answers now. I'd probably want to link to my GPS and when SWMBO gets on the back she is likley to want to "communicate" so it's probaly the Autocom route. However, as always, things do change!!

Many thanks

Bob

Re: Thanks for the advice

Bob said:
Schiannini, Noel thanks for the update and advice - think I've got the answers now. I'd probably want to link to my GPS and when SWMBO gets on the back she is likley to want to "communicate" so it's probaly the Autocom route. However, as always, things do change!!

Many thanks

Bob

Bob - if it's just your MP3 you want to listen to go for the monitors. I've had mine for 6-7 months and absolutley love them. Riding to your own soundtrack is just the best!

a) They cut down wind noise brilliantly without music and even better with the music being pumped in to your ear.

b) The music is 100% clear at ANY speed.

c) No faffing trying to sort the Autocom out.

d) If you sing along the Autocom vox will cut the music volume down as sooon as you say the first word - very annoying.

IF - HOWEVER, you want pillion to pillion and mobile phone etc then you'll need to go the autocome route. I did this and found the speakers to be pants so have relaced them with the monitors anyway.

Re: Re: Thanks for the advice

Stoney said:
No faffing trying to sort the Autocom out.

Easy, just Lop the speakers off and solder a 3.5mm stereo socket to the wires...sorted!

Used mine like that for years..

CC

:cool:

Re: Re: Re: Thanks for the advice

coolcarbon said:
Easy, just Lop the speakers off and solder a 3.5mm stereo socket to the wires...sorted!

Yeah - I agree - that's how I have mine with the monitors (they actually come with an adaptor that does this).

All I am saying is that it takes a while to ghet the autocom set-up until you're 100%vhappy with it - vox, volume etc. All a bit pointless if you just want to listen to music.

Headphones - plug and play - easy!

p.s. JB says his bike is way better than yours!

Autocom are now doing a lead which they describe as a "Headset extension lead with in-line electronics for correction of custom moulded in-ear speaker plugs" (part no 26/27 for 5pin and 7pin £25.00)

As I understand it this allows you to plug either your monitors or your helmet speakers in (or you could probably have both on at the same time) but I've not seen or used one yet. It might be useful if you want the best of both worlds.

Anyone tried it?

I've got this lead in the following set-up:

Autocom Pro-Rider
60Gb Ipod
Nokia 7230i
Garmin Nuvi

Fitted into an Arai Tour-X

I tend to choose how I configure the system dependent on what I'm doing on the bike.
I use the Autocom into their speakers (with ear plugs) for journeys where I'm round town a lot. I can hear the music to a reasonable quality and the gps and phone are very clear.
If I'm going on a longer journey I'll use the Autocom lead that allows me to use my Sony in-ear buds, obviously no ear-plugs in this set-up.
This gives me a much better music quality with all the same functions of the first set-up.
My next 'experiment' will be with something like the Green Leopards/Ultimate In Ears etc.

The only issue with this set-up is the sheer amount of leads etc. I'm looking into a small multicore to replace it all and some sort of transformer system that will allow me to bike power everything whilst having both individual ground lifts to bypass earth loops and individual fuses.

Schianini. I have been using a pair of green leopard earplugs for about four years now and still find them very comfortable. Problem is that they have got pretty gungie despite regular washing( I apologise to those of you with weak stomachs) Is there a cleaner that will get ingrained wax off, Oh bugger, I wish I hadnt started this :nenau

Back
Top Bottom