So What's the Problem??

SuperTed

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had the chain and sprockets replaced on the F800GS today and was slightly disappointed that the new chain, although still a heavy duty one, was not the DID item I had been told it was. It was in a DID box, but wasn't one of their chains.
It also has a split-link rather than being 'endless'. My tame mechanic, who fitted it, said he wasn't happy about it as he "didn't like to use split-links on bigger bikes" and said I should get it changed ASAP.
What I don't understand is the aversion to split-links. I know there has been problems with them in the past, but surely not now? I seem to recall that most of the problems weren't caused by the links but by user error.
So what do we think? Should I get it changed for a hard link? or is it fine to carry on as-is?
Maybe some of the more technically minded among you could enlighten me.

If DID sell a chain of that size with a split link I can only assume that it's fit for purpose. If it were going on a sports bike then I would probably want an endless but a GS800 isn't the most powerful of bikes so if it were mine I'd leave it on.

I would be more concerned that it's not a did chain in the did box.

Well its not often I can say that I have had a more considered reply to a question on here than the BMW Club forum, but on this occasion...
A few people on the BMW forum seem to be foaming at the mouth about things that I hadn't asked about.
So thanks for the sensible comment, Steve, that's what I was thinking but kind of wanted that confirmed.
I was mearly expressing disappointment, Casper, as I got a chain & sprocket set and a complete set of brake pads from a fellow Tosser who had sold his 800 and was clearing spares from his garage after purchasing a 1200GS. He never said it was a DID chain, that was my assumption.

Update

Well it's now two and a half months from getting a new chain with a split-link and there have been no problems what so ever. The bike had its 66000 mile service and I mentioned the link to my tame tech and he couldn't understand why it could be any more of a problem than any other chain. When he brought the bike back he said the chain was absolutely fine and "carry on".
If I was riding an S1000XR I might think differently, but on my 800GS? Nah.

Back
Top Bottom