R100GS Corbyn Vs Standard

B Murr

Reaction score
A year or so ago I found a cheap corbyn saddle in california on ebay in USA, had been mislabelled as a harley saddle hence the low price:D. First impressions on picking it up were that the padding was very firm and that it seemed to be lower than my standard BMW saddle and so I expected it to be a pain in the arse after an hour or so on the road. I was pleasantly surprised however, I did feel as if I was planted slightly lower although that may have been an illusion created by the giant parabellum I was sitting behind. The traditional arse shaped saddle profile does seem to work well at spreading the load and I'll probably give it some more use. I might reupholster it ( not sure who's best to do this) and give it a slight height increase when Im 100% certain of keeping it. although in the pics I took it looks fairly equal from side but it does scoop down a bit more in centre.

Anyone here have any experience with these saddles?

Attachments

• DSC02545e.jpg
    DSC02545e.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 641
  • DSC02546e.jpg
    DSC02546e.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 611
I'm on my second Corbin, I think they are great and certainly find them better than standard, OEM Comfort and Sargent. I got the first because the previous owner didn't like it, so a bit like helmets, you have to find what suits your anatomy.

If you are thinking of reupholstering you may be best using the standard saddle. I have a standard gs saddle in very good condition and wouldn't mind giving the Corbin a try if you fancy a swap and don't fancy messing with your standard/corbin saddle..... Just a thought

If you are thinking of reupholstering you may be best using the standard saddle. I have a standard gs saddle in very good condition and wouldn't mind giving the Corbin a try if you fancy a swap and don't fancy messing with your standard/corbin saddle..... Just a thought

Cheers for offer, I'd only be reupholstering if I decide to keep it, the piping is a bit worn and while I'd be at it I might as well put a bit of purple on it to match the bike. I will wait till summer is over before deciding, plus I already have a very good condition standard saddle as per pic above

Yes, can see the saddle and it looks good. Not trying to sell you my gs saddle, just thought you were having comfort problems and rather spoil you excellent but uncomfortable standard saddle thought you may like to use a spare for reupholstering trial. Have used a spare standard to do this myself at Tony Archers, excellent job and resolved my comfort issues and still kept my original saddle. Good luck with the Corbin but may be, as mentioned, the airhawk is the safe answer.

@ B Murr ... Dibs on the Corbyn if you decide to part with it ... I'd be glad to collect, thanks

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

@ B Murr ... Dibs on the Corbyn if you decide to part with it ... I'd be glad to collect, thanks

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

I reckon this is the sort of thing that I'll be faffing about with for some time to come. Cheers for offer anyway Costellan.

Is there a Theresa May option?

That'll be the one with the one with a promise of a soft saddle but when you actually land on it you discover its as uncomfortable as hell.

So, you are going to put a little purple on the saddle, the colour has definitely grown on you and do you know what, looking at your pictures, it has grown on me too. I quite like it now. My advise on the seat, eat more pies. A fat ass has got to be more comfortable on any seat than skinny. Did you do anything to improve the comfort on my bikes seat? I was going to have it recovered for cosmetic reasons but it is so comfortable I am afraid of spoiling it. :thumb

Hi Jim, I didn't do anything to that saddle but previous owner seems to have recovered it and added a little extra height. Those corbyns come up regularly on eBay.com, I'd say get one if you can and give it a go. Seems to be interest in them over here so you should be able to offload it if you didn't like it. They are very pricey New but ones wuth a bit if visible wear are cheaper and I'm sure readily recovered and customised if you Deesire. This phones a Pita to use on web sites.

're the pies, my wife goes to a slimming club. I'll ask her to suggest that they siimply ttaanger their cake consumption over to me to kerp their cake books balanced.

Would this stretch to fit the Corbin ? Reasonably priced, coloured piping/ stitching etc ... http://www.ebay.ie/itm/142390563853?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I've had Corbins on my old R80RT, R1100RT and even a nice clubman Corbin on my 96' Thunderbird. I found them all to be great for curing the numb bum - except the clubman as it was made more for looks than comfort, yours looks well padded by comparison.

I'd say there would eb a bit of stretching involved alright which might not do it any favours, I'm sure there will be some upholsterer who could when the time comes to do it be able to make this into a real thing of beauty as if it were new. I think the purple could continue on into that panel thats above the grab handle, a project for the winter perhaps.

I'd say there would eb a bit of stretching involved alright which might not do it any favours, I'm sure there will be some upholsterer who could when the time comes to do it be able to make this into a real thing of beauty as if it were new. I think the purple could continue on into that panel thats above the grab handle, a project for the winter perhaps.

My '91 purple/black saddle is cracking from age. I'll more than likely be sussing out Jim Savage in Bishopstown
to reupholster it, if possible in the same colours as original. His work is always excellent and is popular with the classic car and
motorbike crowds.

My '91 purple/black saddle is cracking from age. I'll more than likely be sussing out Jim Savage in Bishopstown
to reupholster it, if possible in the same colours as original. His work is always excellent and is popular with the classic car and
motorbike crowds.

Well, that's a result, a local upholsterer who does a good job. Let me know how it goes and likely I'll be paying him a visit in autumn or winter .

Well, that's a result, a local upholsterer who does a good job. Let me know how it goes and likely I'll be paying him a visit in autumn or winter .

He re-done an old Z1300 saddle for me years ago. It wasn't cheap but a very good job ! So I'll be checking him out again.

Just seen a pic of his work on biker.ie, cant see anything wrong with this, very nice work indeed.

Attachments

• P1070579.jpg
    P1070579.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 286
Recommendations Cork City

Hello
Thread hijack - apologies.

On the topic of local recommendation in Cork City or nearby ... I'm looking for:
- an engineering works with a hydraulic press to straighten a pannier frame. An obliging attitude would be good too 'cos I'll need to bring the bike and wait for the job to be completed
- someone who would fabricate pannier racks; nothing fancy needed, for soft bags on a trail bike.

The first job is Airhead related - flimsy justification for the hijack.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom