Trikes - good idea?

(RIP) Stormchaser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone out there with a bit of experience who might offer some advice would be greatly appreciated!

I find myself having to look to a three wheeled alternative to the GSA. I have some experience with sidecars but none whatsoever with trikes. I'm not attracted to solo bike conversions, they just don't do it for me.

What I have in mind are the full on factory built trikes like Boom and Rewaco.

What are they like to ride and maintain?

I have built and ridden a trike for many years. If you buy a homemade trike it can be a disaster or great dependimg on the knowledge and skill of the builder. If i built another it would be far better than my first ! They should have less problems, However they cost far more and have a fixed design. As to get certified in Germany for exmple they have to have the big leg and foot guards. I would say if you are not good at spanners be very carefull buying a home made one. As most have vw Beetle engines maintenance is very simple and cheap. Cleaning znd polishing will take longer.

The above post pretty much sums it up.
I've had a couple of trikes,the best being one a friend made from a CB900F.

The father of a deceased friend converted the R1100GS he'd been bequeathed into a trike....it was my old Kalahari yellow 1100 that I'd put an 1150 front end on.
We're not in touch anymore but I'm sure it was done by a place in North Wales.
Maybe you'd consider triking your GS?
You may get details if you contact Dreamland paintshop in New Ferry/Port Sunlight here on the Wirral.....speak to Phil and ask who converted the GS for Tony Boote.

Thanks guys, that's useful. I like the full on style of the big trikes and that they are designed to be what they are - and my guess is that they should deliver much enhanced performance over a conversion.

I may have a sound buyer for my GSA (that will be a difficult moment) if I am convinced that a trike would work for me. My thinking is that a well set-up trike would be physically easier to ride than a sidecar outfit.

ive ridden a sidecar combo and trikes and yes....trikes are easier and imo better and safer...
i owned a vw trike but not a rewaco or boom....mine was built by a bike builder....great fun and reliable...
ill probebly end up on one again when i cant ride....

Trikes

Yes a trike is much easier than a side car to ride. VW based trikes are much lower centre of gravity than bike based ones.
Mine is a VW based one which is auto with no foot controls so is very easy to ride. 80 mph on a trike also feels like 120 mph on a bike so massive performance is not realy required.

I followed a couple of guys on Can ams through the twisties in Norway a few years back, they were drifting and smoking the rear tyres round every corner :bow

Met up with them at the next ferry crossing, turns out they were national snowmoblie champions and just out getting some summer practice.

Changed my outlook on 3 wheelers thats for sure, and for that reason the Can am gets my vote

Well, the wife and I sat and watched Billy Connolly's Route 66 DVD last night.

So what? you might ask... well, he rides a Boom Low Rider...

which I think looks super cool... :cool:

and I think I'm gonna do it... :eek:

My trike 2 ltr boxer

Many hours spent on this.

Attachments

• 2013-09-21 10.43.47.jpg
    2013-09-21 10.43.47.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 598
How did things go on the trike front ? I have ridden sidecar but it was old and slow. Now have a Goldwing plus the GS , which I might be buried with, the ride is so comfy . So was thinking a trike for me and dogs 🐶. Any thoughts, sorry about Hijack . Thank you. Geno .

All the drawbacks of a car with added bonus of getting wet

How did things go on the trike front ? I have ridden sidecar but it was old and slow. Now have a Goldwing plus the GS , which I might be buried with, the ride is so comfy . So was thinking a trike for me and dogs ��. Any thoughts, sorry about Hijack . Thank you. Geno .

I did have a test ride on a beautiful Boom trike. It was a completely unique riding experience, but, to be honest, it didn’t blow my socks off, so I let it go. My GSA solo has gone and I’m finding being without a bike difficult, but I have been keeping a tight eye on outfits on ebay.

By the way, the Adventure Rider forum has a brilliant section on Hacks - if you’re interested.

Haven’t given up on the idea of a trike, if the right one turned up.

Had this built for Mrs P and I've just about finished it off now, just needs a taller Sertao screen

It's adventure ready and isn't worried on snow and ice with winter tyres.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 455

Back
Top Bottom