Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ardennes, Vosges, Black Forest, Stelvio, Italian Lakes

Question Ardennes, Vosges, Black Forest, Stelvio, Italian Lakes

Hi Everybody,

Before posting this thread I've tried to find some information but there are so many topics that I thought it was better to ask directly.

I'm planning a trip to Italy and I'd need some advice from the more experienced riders

The plan is to leave London either in the late afternoon of 30 Aug or in the (very) early morning of 31 Aug and spend 6/7 nights travelling across France, Switzerland and Italy. Details below.

Option 1
    Day 1 (afternoon): London > Lille (Eurotunnel)
    Day 2: Lille > Parc Scarpe Escaut > Parc de l'Avesnois > Parc de Ardennes > Parc de Lorraine > Nancy
    Day 3: Nancy > Parc de Vosges > Black Forest (Baden Baden?)
    Day 4: Black Forest > Zurich (visit a friend)
    Day 5: Zurich > Alps Pass (Stelvio? Any other suggestion?) > Lake of Garda or Sirmione
    Day 6: Lake (see above) > Passo della Forra > Genoa
    I can add an extra night somewhere if needed.

Option 2
    See option 1 but leaving London in the early morning of 31 Aug and therefore not stopping at Lille. I can definitely add an extra night somewhere. Any suggestion?
    My questions are:
    1. Are all the natural parks listed in the day 2 itinerary worth crossing? Is there any particular route you can recommend?
    2. I know the Black Forest is pretty big. At the moment I am thinking to leave Nancy in the early morning of day 3, go through the Parc de Vosges (which I know a few good twisty roads ) and get to the Black Forest area in the afternoon, when I can start visiting it and I can continue doing so until the late afternoon of the day 4, when I'll head down to Zurich.
    3. Day 5: do you have any other pass to recommend? I know the Stelvio is probably one of the best (if not the best) Alps pass in terms of riding.

Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance to all the ones that will comment and give some good tips.

Cheers,

Gab

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Wapping must be ill !!!

Over 5 minutes have passed.......

Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    Wapping must be ill !!!

Over 5 minutes have passed.......
    LOL

Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
    Steady lads

Wait for it

Unless you have a burning desire or are on a promise.........I'd give Lake Garda/Sirmione a miss and what's the attraction of Genoa?
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Only suggestion from me is Timmelsjoch instead of Stelvio. Better road, less traffic.

Also, the Stelvio is probably the worst mountain pass in Europe, albeit the most popular
    JohnnyBoxer

Zurich south and do the three passes loop of the Susten, Grimsel and Furka on the way , also as an option consider the Splugen south from Chur towards Lake Como (underrated), definitely a thumbs up for the Silveretta Road and also the Timmelsjoch north to south and then onto the Jaufen

I was considering the Lake because they are close to Passo della Forra, which if you don't know I suggest you check out. Furthermore, I'll be travelling with my girlfriend and the lake area in that time of the year is a very nice to visit.

Genoa is my hometown, so it's got to be the end of the trip. I'll be visiting family and friends over there.

Never heard about the Timmelsjoch. Is t really that good? I can see it is right next to the Stelvio pass. Is it really the Stelvio that bad?

Do you know any other Alps pass that might be a good alternative? What about the San Gottardo or the San Bernardino?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil W View Post
    Zurich south and do the three passes loop of the Susten, Grimsel and Furka on the way , also as an option consider the Splugen south from Chur towards Lake Como (underrated), definitely a thumbs up for the Silveretta Road and also the Timmelsjoch north to south and then onto the Jaufen
    That's a hell of a good tip! Thanks Neil. I'll check them out

Quote Originally Posted by Gab View Post
    Genoa is my hometown, so it's got to be the end of the trip. I'll be visiting family and friends over there.
    That explains it, are you flying the bike home?
    JohnnyBoxer

Post 8 spot on. Yes Timmelsjoch is superb, Stelvio not in the hunt. Over hyped IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    Wapping must....
    In exchange for having each of his excursion questions answered and his every holiday plotted out for him, the fellow was going to cough up £12. He seems to have forgotten.

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    In exchange for having each of his excursion questions answered and his every holiday plotted out for him, the fellow was going to cough up £12. He seems to have forgotten.

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast