BaseCamp VS GPS

Pauleduc

Reaction score
Another question.. please bear with me as I try to get my head around this GPS and BaseCamp.

OK, I designed a trip with a number of way points (shaping points); I then edited each point in BaseCamp, giving them more meaningful names to me. After I downloaded the route to my GPS and analyzed the route there, I found all my work of renaming the points was wasted - the points on the GPS had the original names, not the renamed names I gave them in BaseCamp. Am I doing something wrong?

Next, I found the trip times very different on the GPS.. in BaseCamp, the it says the 125 Km trip would take 2.5 hrs.. yet when I downloaded this trip to the GPS, it says the same 125 Km trip will take 1.7 hrs. What gives?!?

possibly the settings on your device are different to that on basecamp, if they are its a problem.
On device in Navigation preferences I'd recommend you set FASTER TIME, and ensure NO AVOIDANCES are enabled.
In basecamp select EDIT, OPTIONS, ACTIVITY PROFILE, MOTORCYCLING and select same options as above.
Finally in base camp double click on your route icon in lower left hand box, this will bring up the route properties, click on route options tab, select USE ACTIVITY PROFILE MOTORCYCLING. The route should now recalculate., delete the routes on your device and then resend.
Hope this helps

possibly the settings on your device are different to that on basecamp, if they are its a problem.
On device in Navigation preferences I'd recommend you set FASTER TIME, and ensure NO AVOIDANCES are enabled.
In basecamp select EDIT, OPTIONS, ACTIVITY PROFILE, MOTORCYCLING and select same options as above.
Finally in base camp double click on your route icon in lower left hand box, this will bring up the route properties, click on route options tab, select USE ACTIVITY PROFILE MOTORCYCLING. The route should now recalculate., delete the routes on your device and then resend.
Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply.. done all that.. all settings in BC match my device. My map in BC matches my device.. same problem.

EDIT:
btw.. there are two maps in BC.. one is City Navigator North America NT 2018.2 (zumo 590) and the other is City Navigator North America NT 2018.2 (installed)

When I ran BC with the zumo map, it was agonizing slow... so I switched to the installed map, which I assume is the same, and it ran much faster. They are the same, right?

The thread did not offer up a solution, beyond running a PC and / or a Montana GPS device.

The link was simply to let you know that you are not alone in the darkness.

Have you tried the US Adventure Rider website and forum? They have a very active GPS section, though they do have guns, lots of guns, guns everywhere.

Failing that, try the Garmin / Zumo forum. It's free.

Thanks for the reply.. done all that.. all settings in BC match my device. My map in BC matches my device.. same problem.

EDIT:
btw.. there are two maps in BC.. one is City Navigator North America NT 2018.2 (zumo 590) and the other is City Navigator North America NT 2018.2 (installed)

When I ran BC with the zumo map, it was agonizing slow... so I switched to the installed map, which I assume is the same, and it ran much faster. They are the same, right?

The map (zumo 590) is your PC reading the map from the device, the installed map in your case is the same map.

Hope this helps

This is really getting confusing...
Everything I can see in settings on both BC and the GPS are the same.. Motorcycling, Faster Navigation, same avoidances, same maps, etc. I have created a new basic trip, from my place in Ontario to Montreal.. a distance of 506 Km. There are TWO trip times in Basecamp: one in trip properties, which say it will take 6 hr 26 minutes, and one in the status line at the bottom of the main BC map screen, which says the trip will take 6 hr 56 minutes! so, here we have the same trip in BC, and two different times! Furthermore, when I download the trip map to my GPS, I get yet another trip time, even shorter - of 5 hr 55 minutes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC_Tip_Time_Problem.png

For what it is worth my 390 seems to know how I ride, routes often download with a shorter journey time than when planned in Mapsource (I prefer it to Basecamp) In Mapsource you set your speed for a variety of road types so I can understand how my 390 might be more optimistic

And now it is getting hard to beat the arrival times! Last time only managed to take a couple of minutes out of a 90 minute ride. There were no hold ups and while I stuck to the limits in the 30 and 40 zones I was "making progress" elsewhere. Despite this my arrival time was two minutes earlier than that predicted when I set out.

John

Plot your route, look at the three Garmin estimated times to complete it, get out, look at your watch, ride the route to the end, look at your watch again. The elapsed time is how long it took you to ride the route. Compare this time with the three estimates handed to you by Garmin before you started. Repeat as often as you like over other routes. You'll get to know how long it will probably take you to go from A to B on an average day and by how much that time compares with Garmin's best estimates.

This is really getting confusing...
Everything I can see in settings on both BC and the GPS are the same.. Motorcycling, Faster Navigation, same avoidances, same maps, etc. I have created a new basic trip, from my place in Ontario to Montreal.. a distance of 506 Km. There are TWO trip times in Basecamp: one in trip properties, which say it will take 6 hr 26 minutes, and one in the status line at the bottom of the main BC map screen, which says the trip will take 6 hr 56 minutes! so, here we have the same trip in BC, and two different times! Furthermore, when I download the trip map to my GPS, I get yet another trip time, even shorter - of 5 hr 55 minutes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC_Tip_Time_Problem.png

Try putting more shaping points on the route, clearly the device is calculating a different route (1hour shorter) than basecamp.

Back
Top Bottom