Basecamp route to GPS nav vi

prop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
I hope someone can help me, I have put together a 10 day route through Spain, France and Italy , when I transfer it to my gps instead of the exact route, it's converting it to a completely different route but running backwards and forwards to waypoints . Is it because detail of my map are different ? The log says its converting the route due to the map that the route was created in is different to the device ? They are both the latest version.
I am running a Mac

Hope someone can help

Prop

Is it one continuous 10 day route?

Are you very sure that you've loaded the full set of detailed maps into your device?

If the detailed maps are loaded, are you very sure that they are active?

See Nutty's Law and all the threads about the latest map updates not loading in Southern Europe. Southern Europe in Garmin's world starts just south of Calais.

What setting is your GPS device on? Fastest time? Most direct? Off road? Straight line?

Can you take a screen shot, please.

To save us guessing, please post the route file here. If it's too big to upload to the site, host it on something like Dropbox.

There are several threads where bods have seen the same problem. They generally end well.

Await your news....

Wapping, thank you the route is 10 separate days , GPS is set to fastest , both nav v and nav v1 having same issue, never had this issue in all the tours I have done . I will post a pic tonight .
Strangely the days in Spain, south of France and the Alps have messed up but as I move into the days in Northern Europe the route is fine , also when you zoom in on GPS it seems that the detail is missing, so I am thinking that the roads don't exist in the GPS and therefore it's going from main roads to a way point and back as it can't see the minor roads that exist in base camp .
What transfer options do you tick to ensure the route is unchanged on transfer and is exactly as I have planned?

Thanks for you help

Prop

If the detailed roads are missing when you zoom in, it very probably means they are not there. In short, the detailed map tiles are missing or not active. As you suspected, the device is doing it's best by linking points by straight lines.

There are several threads where bods are reporting difficulties loading the latest full mapsets, along with the methods (they vary, apparently) bods employed to fix the problem.

Interestingly garmin have a new full Europe map update this morning but it was for my nav v only on garmin express? So is it possible to transfer the whole of Europe map from basecamp to the nav v1 ?

Prop

This sounds like a problem a lot of us have had with a map update not loading properly onto the device. In my case it was with 2017.3, it loaded onto my PC and appeared on my 390 as Europe North & South ( separate files) . I found out the hard way that areas of northern France simply were not there. Others have found that either the whole north or south maps did not load or were incomplete. So a software issue from Garmin. Mine was solved by downloading 2018.1, as far as I can see my device has full coverage but it is very difficult to be certain without checking everywhere. Try downloading again, hopefuly Garmin have sorted the problem by now.

John

Just guessing, but it might well be easy to check in BaseCamp, where the maps are drawn across from the device. Switch the view to look at the device's maps and see:

1. If the detail is all there

2. How the route displays

Not so easy perhaps in Mapsource, when the maps are not dragged over from the device.

Once you have (successfully) updated your maps on the Nav V and on your computer (that may take a couple of hours or more) the subsequent updating of your Nav VI should be relatively quick.

Thank you all for support and help so far, I've followed Wappings advice and can confirm that the detail is not there in the southern part of Europe. I have carried out 2 reinstalls to no avail, I've sent an email to Garmin but no response.
Does anyone know a way of getting full Europe coverage on nav v1 ? As said I am on a Mac for basecamp.

Prop

I would back up any BaseCamp files you have.

I would then delete and reinstall BaseCamp and Garmin Express and try again.

I do though suspect it's as simple as you not running the latest version of Garmin Express, so do check that first. Possibly deleting the current version first. I notice that my Mac regularly displays Garmin Express updates; I always install them. You

Back
Top Bottom