Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NW500

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Fidden camp site ...

Excellent, yes. Take a trip across to Iona, go to Fingals' Cave, walk over to the the old observatory on Erraid when the tides out ( be careful on the way back though as I had to swim once when I misjudged the tide ), do a coastal loop round Mull from Fishnish ( North / South ) and down to Fidden....and almost best of all there are virtually no Midge so go and enjoy in mid summer even.

The NC500 is a well publicised ( but long established road network ) route which is now over popular and tends to attract certain petrol heads who's aim it is to cover xxx miles in the shortest possible time regardless , be aware and look out for Lamborghini's and the like

There are far nicer areas to explore...

Fidden last year

Thanks all, Brilliant picture Cabby!!! I see I have my work cut out in the planning.

Of course you have the Western Isles as well...

And Skye of course.

The NC500 is a well publicised ( but long established road network ) route which is now over popular and tends to attract certain petrol heads who's aim it is to cover xxx miles in the shortest possible time regardless , be aware and look out for Lamborghini's and the like

Too true, unfortunately. Just back from an annual trip up that way, doing it anti-clockwise this time. Yet again had some bother with cardicks doing it clockwise with no idea on how to use passing places, and seem to think they have right of way regardless. Its also become very popular with vintage car rallies, we saw at least three different rally groups in just 2 days.

Getting busy up there I'd go to Ireland and do the wild Atlantic way instead. 1700 miles of pure magic.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Just back from a run up to Durness via Ullapool and back via Lairg ,good weather until Lairg, I was very surprised how little traffic there was on the roads,had expected it to be mobbed so despite the publicity of the NW500 if you avoid the holiday periods it can still be very enjoyable.
    Was working for a lady in Ullapool last week who had never even heard of the NC500.

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by mspenz View Post
    Excellent, yes. Take a trip across to Iona, go to Fingals' Cave, walk over to the the old observatory on Erraid when the tides out ( be careful on the way back though as I had to swim once when I misjudged the tide ), do a coastal loop round Mull from Fishnish ( North / South ) and down to Fidden....and almost best of all there are virtually no Midge so go and enjoy in mid summer even.

Did Iona and Fingals Cave with my missis many years ago. A young lassie sat on the rocks inside Fingals Cave and started singing, strewth I would never have believed it. My missis long since dead but I'll never forget that moment. Her ashes are in the derelict church at Kildalton on Islay. (My Missises, not the gal that sung )

Looked at the walk across to the old observatory on Erraid last time there ... may well do that this September, thanks for the heads up

Done the coastal route round Mull a few time ... always seem to end up in the Fishnish in Tobermory

Yes ... there's much more to the NC500 than we are led to believe, but let's keep that quiet and amongst ourselves shall we

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

1st in a series that you might find useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0yrsuvKMYw

Quote Originally Posted by mspenz View Post

It's listed in here, few other nice spots as well

https://coolcamping.com/campsites/uk...83-fidden-farm

Got a route just about sorted, thks to someone on here who sent me a PM. Next is accommodation. Looking for something around the GBP100 - 120 mark per night single occupancy. Prefer something out of the towns if possible, sort of country pub style, although this can be a bit tricky north of the border from my experience.

Any recommendations in the following areas.

1. West Kilbride / Largs Area.
    2. Fort William
    3. Ullapool area - I have stayed at the Ardlair B&B in Moorfield which is superb.
    4. Wick / Thurso area
    5. Keith / Aberlour

Any ideas greatly appreciated. Saves hours of scrolling through Trip Advisor.
    Cheers

Did the NC500 last bank holiday weekend, The Old Inn @ Gairloch might tick the box for you also Applecross , you could also swing past Plockton

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by invergsa View Post
    Did the NC500 last bank holiday weekend
    Why is Roy Orbison wearing a lifejacket?

Al
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

PMSL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    "I swam all niiigght to get you"

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Did Iona and Fingals Cave with my missis many years ago. A young lassie sat on the rocks inside Fingals Cave and started singing, strewth I would never have believed it. My missis long since dead but I'll never forget that moment. Her ashes are in the derelict church at Kildalton on Islay. (My Missises, not the gal that sung )

Looked at the walk across to the old observatory on Erraid last time there ... may well do that this September, thanks for the heads up

Done the coastal route round Mull a few time ... always seem to end up in the Fishnish in Tobermory

Yes ... there's much more to the NC500 than we are led to believe, but let's keep that quiet and amongst ourselves shall we

Nice Micky, nice

If the moon & tides are out of favour then do the short single track drive from Fidden round towards Knockvologan, park at the farm and enjoy the coastal walk on the North shore of Erraid then up to the old observatory.
    The stretch of sand between Erraid & Knockvologan only gets covered at exceptional high tides but even then it's only knee deep for most

Mike.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast