Thread: NW500

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    NC500 mid August... good or bad idea?
    Sell my bike?
    I would rather stick wasps up my arse !

Quote Originally Posted by Wreford Miles View Post
    Go for it. I've been in the area recently, you get busy days and quiet days, dry and wet, warm and less warm! I would just go and enjoy. If it's busy turn inland and find some wee roads and places off the route.

Might have to do some of it in the next day or so rain or not...need to run in NEW motor for 600 mile service on Weds...bummer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Northern jock View Post
    Go for it. I've been in the area recently, you get busy days and quiet days, dry and wet, warm and less warm! I would just go and enjoy. If it's busy turn inland and find some wee roads and places off the route.
    I fancy taking the Airhead in a trip... I'm not looking to follow the 500 for the sake of it, a glance at the map has me asking why do the A9 up the east coast, nipping through the middle to the top on the A836 and the anti clockwise down the west coast looks like an option
    Sell my bike?
    I would rather stick wasps up my arse !

I fancy taking the Airhead in a trip... I'm not looking to follow the 500 for the sake of it, a glance at the map has me asking why do the A9 up the east coast, nipping through the middle to the top on the A836 and the anti clockwise down the west coast looks like an option
    And is the best one.

Go north, turn off the A9 onto the B9176 Struie Road, up to Bonar Bridge, Lairg, Tongue and then turn left. What you'll have missed isn't worth the drudge up the A9.

Quote Originally Posted by gerarddwatts View Post
    Might have to do some of it in the next day or so rain or not...need to run in NEW motor for 600 mile service on Weds...bummer!!
    Just try and take care of this one and not get it all corroded!

Just try and take care of this one and not get it all corroded!
    Amazing innit? I bought it as an ex demonstrator; all the risk of doing so is in the engine being ragged by various nutters....the risk now eliminated courtesy of BMW! New Final Drive as well...how much must that cost them?

Maybe my imagination, coupled with not liking and bonding with the 1200RS they lent me for the duration, but this new lump all seems much smoother. Bit boring running about gently but I suppose its worth it!

Take:
    Wellies and Sou'wester
    Factor 50 suncream
    Snow shovel
    Midge cream

Keep them handy as might need all four in same day.

I was up that way at the weekend, spent 2 nights camping at Achmelvich in stunning weather before heading home via Laxford Bridge & Lairg. Going clockwise against a steady stream of bikes and expensive sports cars was fun as there were little or no vehicles heading North
    Spoke to a chap in Lochinver (nice 1200gsa) who had rode round the NC the week previous (anti-clock) and ended up sat in a steady procession of highly expensive machinery travelling at a very unsatisfying average speed.
    A victim of it's own success..

Quote Originally Posted by gerarddwatts View Post
    Amazing innit? I bought it as an ex demonstrator; all the risk of doing so is in the engine being ragged by various nutters....the risk now eliminated courtesy of BMW! New Final Drive as well...how much must that cost them?

Maybe my imagination, coupled with not liking and bonding with the 1200RS they lent me for the duration, but this new lump all seems much smoother. Bit boring running about gently but I suppose its worth it!
    Well, I've also got a (mostly) new engine in my 13 year old gsa (mixed emotions ), unfortunately not covered by warranty but thanks Mikeyboy

Enjoy Gerard.

Quote Originally Posted by mspenz View Post
    Well, I've also got a (mostly) new engine in my 13 year old gsa (mixed emotions ), unfortunately not covered by warranty but thanks Mikeyboy

Enjoy Gerard.
    Glad you've got it back, working and sounding good?

Glad you've got it back, working and sounding good?
    Well the bike is but the owner is falling apart

It will be busy in Highland terms which really means nothing,you might get held up a bit on some of the single track bits but otherwise there are plenty of traffic free open roads if you look for them,even the A9 on a bike is not the drudge it can be in a car and the average speed cameras seem to have a very generous margin which allows you to get past everything and keep up a reasonable speed.

The average speed cameras, apart from two at Moy/Tomatin, get the front no plate so are no problem for bikes at all. Vans still there tho'.

Boats can be a bit of a problem though!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-40753884

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter Boy View Post
    Boats can be a bit of a problem though!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-40753884
    "Captain Schettino goes on holiday in Scotland"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast