NW500

I was up that way at the weekend, spent 2 nights camping at Achmelvich in stunning weather before heading home via Laxford Bridge & Lairg. Going clockwise against a steady stream of bikes and expensive sports cars was fun as there were little or no vehicles heading North :D
Spoke to a chap in Lochinver (nice 1200gsa) who had rode round the NC the week previous (anti-clock) and ended up sat in a steady procession of highly expensive machinery travelling at a very unsatisfying average speed.
A victim of it's own success..

Amazing innit? I bought it as an ex demonstrator; all the risk of doing so is in the engine being ragged by various nutters....the risk now eliminated courtesy of BMW! New Final Drive as well...how much must that cost them?

Maybe my imagination, coupled with not liking and bonding with the 1200RS they lent me for the duration, but this new lump all seems much smoother. Bit boring running about gently but I suppose its worth it!

Well, I've also got a (mostly) new engine in my 13 year old gsa (mixed emotions :D :tears), unfortunately not covered by warranty but thanks Mikeyboy :thumb2

Enjoy Gerard.

Well, I've also got a (mostly) new engine in my 13 year old gsa (mixed emotions :D :tears), unfortunately not covered by warranty but thanks Mikeyboy :thumb2

Enjoy Gerard.

Glad you've got it back, working and sounding good?

I fancy taking the Airhead in a trip... I'm not looking to follow the 500 for the sake of it, a glance at the map has me asking why do the A9 up the east coast, nipping through the middle to the top on the A836 and the anti clockwise down the west coast looks like an option

It will be busy in Highland terms which really means nothing,you might get held up a bit on some of the single track bits but otherwise there are plenty of traffic free open roads if you look for them,even the A9 on a bike is not the drudge it can be in a car and the average speed cameras seem to have a very generous margin which allows you to get past everything and keep up a reasonable speed.

The average speed cameras, apart from two at Moy/Tomatin, get the front no plate so are no problem for bikes at all. Vans still there tho'.

Off up there next Friday, day up to Inverness via Braemar, two days around and day back. Stopping in Inverness on 1st night and 3rd night and Scourie on the second night.

Will be the third consecutive year I've done it and always enjoy it (although weather is variable). Really enjoy just stopping at random beaches and enjoying the scenery.

RBW.

The point of the NC500 for me personally is to see as many beaches as possible, so whilst the inland roads might be better than the east coast I would rather bimble around that way and stop as the desire takes me at random beaches.

RBW.

Back
Top Bottom