NW500

The NC500 is a well publicised ( but long established road network ) route which is now over popular and tends to attract certain petrol heads who's aim it is to cover xxx miles in the shortest possible time regardless , be aware and look out for Lamborghini's and the like :eek:

There are far nicer areas to explore...

Too true, unfortunately. Just back from an annual trip up that way, doing it anti-clockwise this time. Yet again had some bother with cardicks doing it clockwise with no idea on how to use passing places, and seem to think they have right of way regardless. Its also become very popular with vintage car rallies, we saw at least three different rally groups in just 2 days.

Getting busy up there I'd go to Ireland and do the wild Atlantic way instead. 1700 miles of pure magic.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Just back from a run up to Durness via Ullapool and back via Lairg ,good weather until Lairg, I was very surprised how little traffic there was on the roads,had expected it to be mobbed so despite the publicity of the NW500 if you avoid the holiday periods it can still be very enjoyable.
Was working for a lady in Ullapool last week who had never even heard of the NC500.

Excellent, yes. Take a trip across to Iona, go to Fingals' Cave, walk over to the the old observatory on Erraid when the tides out ( be careful on the way back though as I had to swim once when I misjudged the tide :blast ), do a coastal loop round Mull from Fishnish ( North / South ) and down to Fidden....and almost best of all there are virtually no Midge so go and enjoy in mid summer even.

Did Iona and Fingals Cave with my missis many years ago. A young lassie sat on the rocks inside Fingals Cave and started singing, strewth I would never have believed it. My missis long since dead but I'll never forget that moment. Her ashes are in the derelict church at Kildalton on Islay. (My Missises, not the gal that sung :D)

Looked at the walk across to the old observatory on Erraid last time there ... may well do that this September, thanks for the heads up :thumb

Done the coastal route round Mull a few time ... always seem to end up in the Fishnish in Tobermory :D

Yes ... there's much more to the NC500 than we are led to believe, but let's keep that quiet and amongst ourselves shall we :D

:beerjug:

Excellent, yes. Take a trip across to Iona, go to Fingals' Cave, walk over to the the old observatory on Erraid when the tides out ( be careful on the way back though as I had to swim once when I misjudged the tide :blast ), do a coastal loop round Mull from Fishnish ( North / South ) and down to Fidden....and almost best of all there are virtually no Midge so go and enjoy in mid summer even.

The NC500 is a well publicised ( but long established road network ) route which is now over popular and tends to attract certain petrol heads who's aim it is to cover xxx miles in the shortest possible time regardless , be aware and look out for Lamborghini's and the like :eek:

It's listed in here, few other nice spots as well

https://coolcamping.com/campsites/uk/scotland/scottish-isles/isle-of-mull/83-fidden-farm

Got a route just about sorted, thks to someone on here who sent me a PM. Next is accommodation. Looking for something around the GBP100 - 120 mark per night single occupancy. Prefer something out of the towns if possible, sort of country pub style, although this can be a bit tricky north of the border from my experience.

Any recommendations in the following areas.

1. West Kilbride / Largs Area.
2. Fort William
3. Ullapool area - I have stayed at the Ardlair B&B in Moorfield which is superb.
4. Wick / Thurso area
5. Keith / Aberlour

Any ideas greatly appreciated. Saves hours of scrolling through Trip Advisor.
Cheers

Did the NC500 last bank holiday weekend, The Old Inn @ Gairloch might tick the box for you
f360aaf5ec72507979505d4fc2f63f03.jpg
also Applecross , you could also swing past Plockton
a917889b43d0d60b82263f99e6914f7f.jpg
78029a77698330ddb96430376f8eb833.jpg
49c6a518dc652385d717aa8a62dd252e.jpg
459af646cd98a31cc05537559456c84f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did Iona and Fingals Cave with my missis many years ago. A young lassie sat on the rocks inside Fingals Cave and started singing, strewth I would never have believed it. My missis long since dead but I'll never forget that moment. Her ashes are in the derelict church at Kildalton on Islay. (My Missises, not the gal that sung :D)

Looked at the walk across to the old observatory on Erraid last time there ... may well do that this September, thanks for the heads up :thumb

Done the coastal route round Mull a few time ... always seem to end up in the Fishnish in Tobermory :D

Yes ... there's much more to the NC500 than we are led to believe, but let's keep that quiet and amongst ourselves shall we :D

:beerjug:

Nice Micky, nice :)

If the moon & tides are out of favour then do the short single track drive from Fidden round towards Knockvologan, park at the farm and enjoy the coastal walk on the North shore of Erraid then up to the old observatory.
The stretch of sand between Erraid & Knockvologan only gets covered at exceptional high tides but even then it's only knee deep for most :D

Mike.

NC500 mid August... good or bad idea?

Go for it. I've been in the area recently, you get busy days and quiet days, dry and wet, warm and less warm! I would just go and enjoy. If it's busy turn inland and find some wee roads and places off the route.

Might have to do some of it in the next day or so rain or not...need to run in NEW motor for 600 mile service on Weds...bummer!!

Go for it. I've been in the area recently, you get busy days and quiet days, dry and wet, warm and less warm! I would just go and enjoy. If it's busy turn inland and find some wee roads and places off the route.

I fancy taking the Airhead in a trip... I'm not looking to follow the 500 for the sake of it, a glance at the map has me asking why do the A9 up the east coast, nipping through the middle to the top on the A836 and the anti clockwise down the west coast looks like an option

I fancy taking the Airhead in a trip... I'm not looking to follow the 500 for the sake of it, a glance at the map has me asking why do the A9 up the east coast, nipping through the middle to the top on the A836 and the anti clockwise down the west coast looks like an option

And is the best one.

Go north, turn off the A9 onto the B9176 Struie Road, up to Bonar Bridge, Lairg, Tongue and then turn left. What you'll have missed isn't worth the drudge up the A9.

Just try and take care of this one and not get it all corroded!

Amazing innit? I bought it as an ex demonstrator; all the risk of doing so is in the engine being ragged by various nutters....the risk now eliminated courtesy of BMW! New Final Drive as well...how much must that cost them?

Maybe my imagination, coupled with not liking and bonding with the 1200RS they lent me for the duration, but this new lump all seems much smoother. Bit boring running about gently but I suppose its worth it!

Back
Top Bottom