New to KTM

That does look pretty neat, I am not all that bothered about more noise or the extra 1.5BHP an end can may deliver, but would get one of these for the neater look / lighter weight / preserve the originals finish if one came up second hand.

Just another 100 miles to first service, after a 300 mile spin round mid-Wales on traffic-free roads.

This is the first bike purchased where I have not seen a torque and power graph beforehand. Anyone got a link or image of said graph for a 1290 SA S please?

Chris

A bit like an 1190 one, just with less power, Giles should be along in a moment with further info :D

Anyone else noticed a serious weave/consistent headshake at speeds over 100mph?

Tyres maybe? Anyone fitted anything other than the OE Tyres?

Cheers

Anyone else noticed a serious weave/consistent headshake at speeds over 100mph?

Tyres maybe? Anyone fitted anything other than the OE Tyres?

Cheers

Nope - not that I make a habit of that kind of speed but was up there several times on a European trip and didn't have any issues.

I have not done any sustained high speeds yet, just overtakes, but have not noticed anything untoward with the handling.

Anyone else found fuel cap reluctant to open ( unlock ) , even within the 50 seconds from switch off?

Chris how you getting on with the ktm?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Thank you for asking Georgeeboi. Your timing could not be more apt. I'm just off to Greece tomorrow, via the Balkan countries, returning by ferry to S Italy. Revisiting some of my favourite routes that I did previously on a GS, to compare and contrast. Won't be able to do a running commentary, but will try to post the occasional pic here.

But to return to your question- Yes, I'm really loving it. Funny thing is, I piled on the miles to get it through first service, but since then have been using it sparingly to preserve the tyres for the 5k + mile trip ahead. The one thing I could not get on with was the original screen. Whichever position I had, it was causing much buffetting round my helmet, and not just at silly speeds. I know some peeps have gone for the taller Puig, but found wind coming round from the sides. Others have gone for the shorter R screen with an MRA winglet attachment, and are very happy with that combination. At the moment, I just have the R screen that seems fine, but if I don't find it is sufficient, my trip takes me past the Mra factory N of Freiberg..... Their screen for the GS LC was the best, but they have been a bit slow to produce a new one for the 2017 S/R.

This afternoon, I have been applying specially cut-out 3M protective covering from Tony James Designs. He made templates from my SA S, so I am his first guinea pig as it were. Based on my experiences for the trip, he will be offering a tank protection kit, and an extended one including TFT screen, headlight, and perhaps horizontal bar on centre stand. Unfortunately, because the KTM "1290" are transfers and not painted, they stand a bit proud from the tank gloss paintwork, so the 3M covering is not suitable for that area, as it would leave an air pocket under the film. But the satin affect protection for the black tank cheeks look really good. Even in the short time I have ridden the new bike, one knee was beginning to leave a mark. The new film has disguised this, and will prevent further damage.

Hope to report in from time to time with an update on the tour.

Chris

Chris, try the MRA X-Creen spoiler. I have that on my R screen, and it's spot on.:thumb

Chris, try the MRA X-Creen spoiler. I have that on my R screen, and it's spot on.:thumb

I called in at the MRA factory, and they could have not been more helpful. Try as they might, they could not find an X creen to fit. I wasn't too fussed, as apart from a direct head wind, I am finding the R screen adequate, especially in temperatures in mid 20s.

I have been writing a few words on my Blackbird forum http://www.ixxra.co.uk/v-web/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26790

I know you chaps like a few photos, so here is the link to my trip gallery :
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AQ1QWqLQeALGifyz2

I called in at the MRA factory, and they could have not been more helpful. Try as they might, they could not find an X creen to fit. I wasn't too fussed, as apart from a direct head wind, I am finding the R screen adequate, especially in temperatures in mid 20s.

I have been writing a few words on my Blackbird forum http://www.ixxra.co.uk/v-web/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26790

I know you chaps like a few photos, so here is the link to my trip gallery :
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AQ1QWqLQeALGifyz2

Nice pictures :thumb

The XCreen will fit the R screen. I’ve had it on mine for 4000 miles, and it fits perfectly.

I did ask them to hurry up and make a Vario screen of a height mid way between factory and Puig.

Back
Top Bottom