New to KTM

KTM_Chris

Reaction score
Hi,

Just ordered a 1290 SA S today.

Had an 06 GS bought used, that rotted underneath me. OK, so I used to ride it all year in all weather as long as no ice. Bought a new 2013 GS LC and kept that Wintered in garage to preserve it, but that is going same way with bad corrosion on engine, gearbox and bevel gear. So really not impressed with BM build quality, and hoping for better with KTM.

While the GS was being serviced, they loaned me a S1000XR. After the GS, I found it very quick, light and agile. The acceleration was so impressive in 6th, that I was looking for 7th and 8th for cruising. At higher revs, which is when bike comes alive, there was vibration in the bars and under the seat. I also missed the more direct throttle control and engine breaking of a big twin.

Will not even consider a Multistrada ( although I did like a short test ride before buying last GS ) coz of the high service costs and stupid belt cam drive.

So researched what KTM had to offer, and was pleased to see engine capacity and HP increase over the last 1190 Adventure I tested after the Ducati. At the time, I liked it a lot especially the feel and efficiency of back brake, but thought it an odd looking beast. This week, the Super Duke GT took my fancy, as I have been trying a few nakeds ( MT10 and S1000R ) and really enjoying the holigan element. Had an hour's ride on the GT and thought the handling, noise and performance were superb. If I didn't still own a beloved and trusty Blackbird that has done European tours, but is mostly used now for wild days in Wales, I might well have plumped for the GT.

Thought I had better ask for a quick ride on the SA S to compare, as it was most similar to the GS, and would be used mainly for Alpine tours with some luggage. Although different to the GT, I could instantly detect how good it was. The Quickshifter + was a revelation, and especially for someone coming from the agricultural GS gearbox! For touring, I thought the slightly higher 6th and better wind protection over the GT's would be more suitable when cruising. Very minor niggles were the position of the centre stand in relation to the pillion peg, and the fact that I would have preferred a 17 inch front tyre, although I cannot fault the handling and cornering. Everything else I loved about the bike, especially that TFT screen, big kid that I am.

The black/silver side panniers look ok, but seem to stick out quite a lot, and don't have the collapsible feature of the GS's. The matching top box just struck me as a funny shape from the side. So for now, I have opted for the 48L top box with orange flash and a tank bag, which I can supplement with waterproof roll bag on pillion seat if needs be.

So looking forward to taking delivery.......

Chris

The GS panniers are a wider than the GS ones in fully extended positions, the metal ones are even wider - but I figured even with plastic ones filtering is going to be limited so opted for the huge metal bins as the quality is much better as well as the extra space being handy - these are more than enough for a two week tour for two people.

I can do a solo weekend away with just the top box, but obviously means I cannot stash stuff in it when I stop (lid / gloves) and I would rather not have all the weight in a to box, I did buy some roll bags but I am now considering one of these:

http://chainspeed.co.uk/bags-connection-ballistic-cargobag-50l-tail-bag/

There is a posh version:

http://chainspeed.co.uk/products/sw-motech-legend-gear-tail-bag-lr2.html

It is worth bearing in mind if your going to ride abroad a lot then the chances are you will not be filtering much (if at all) assuming your not planning on riding around big cites, I must have covered 20,000 miles in a dozen or so Euro trips and can only remember needing to filter a couple of times for a couple of miles - the M25 on the way home is another matter! (try to avoid busy times if I can)

Well, picked up my new bike from Tewkesbury late morning, and set off to have a ride and lunch with a Blackbird mate near Shrewsbury.

Didn't want to be Orange Tango'ed, so have gone for the more subtle black.

view

open

We rode some glorious Shropshire B roads, before going up and over Long Mynd and tea at Church Stretton. Back home to Stroud, and the ODO was just shy of 200 miles. So nice little breaking-in ride and tyre scrub.

Well pleased with the new steed. On minor points, I can see me getting a taller screen, as the was some buffeting/ wind noise round my helmet. Also, it would be good to be able to dial in a little more softness in the ride in Comfort setting.

I followed the advice in the other thread about purchasing the £80 Meta alarm off Fleabay. Did add the alarm mounting kit to the order, but the KTM dealer who fitted it, said that wasn't really necessary, as the Meta just plugged in.

Impressed with the tool kit - very comprehensive range of spanners and sockets plus a short thin cable for garroting sentry guards a la "Where Eagles Dare". In my experience, the better the tool kit the less likely you are to need it , eg Honda Blackbird. Contrast with the poor quality GS, where they give you a screwdriver!

Chris

PS Not sure link to photos working, so try this
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1rpZPqwUop6MXpkVHhuU2k3LWc?usp=sharing

Thanks for the post Chris, had a hex head GSA and currently a WC GSA but tempted by the 1290 SAS. Will be interested how you get on, must get a test ride planned in!

Nice one, Chris. I got mine in April, and am loving it.

As to the Tango'd statement, you can never go too orange!:green gri

Attachments

• IMG_6549.jpg
    IMG_6549.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 757
So - is it worth shelling out for the Akra? Is it louder or a deeper rumble?

It's always worth shelling out for the Akra.:green gri

And, yep, it's deeper and louder.

It's always worth shelling out for the Akra.:green gri

And, yep, it's deeper and louder.

......or buy something for a fraction of the price that (IMO) looks better, weighs less and sounds better ;)

Look at Wings or Arrow end cans to see what I mean :D

......or buy something for a fraction of the price that (IMO) looks better, weighs less and sounds better ;)

Very happy with my Wings ... :thumb2

The Arrow looks ok, but I prefer my Akra.:D

Back
Top Bottom