F650GS low fuel instrument light not working

F650GS

Reaction score
The low fuel warning light in the instrument cluster of my 2004 F650GS isn't working.

It's a 2004 bike with just 1800 miles on the clock. I'm the second owner and I've had the bike for about 4 years. I'm a fair weather biker and haven't used it much since 2015, when I last put fuel in the tank. I was riding for the first time this year earlier this week and ran out of fuel.

I've put 4l in the tank and I've checked for continuity with a multimeter across the pins of the tank sensor. The multimeter shows closed circuit so the light should be illuminated. I don't yet want to add more fuel to check if the sensor signal goes open circuit (light off).

Before I remove the fairing to gain access to the back of the instrument cluster to check the bulb, does anyone have a similar experience and/or pointers to fault diagnosis?

I'd appreciate any help and advice.

I'm assuming that the other lights in the cluster are working, so the fuse is probably alright. Likely to be the bulb, since the tank sensor seems to be working correctly.

Get used to removing that fairing. I think I can do a the full tank enclosure and indicators in under 5 mins by now.

Back
Top Bottom