Non fault incident- extra premium

TheWitcher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys,
My car was accidentally damaged by my neighbour when she was reverse from her driveway.
Claim going through her insurance and I was happy with their professionalism.
Today I tried to renew my motorcycle insurance and was shocked when noticed my premium increased about £100. Called Hastings and was told even when is non fault claim my premium will increase. That's a standard for insurance now. I'm really pissed off now.

Hi guys,
My car was accidentally damaged by my neighbour when she was reverse from her driveway.
Today I tried to renew my motorcycle insurance and was shocked when noticed my premium increased about £100. Called Hastings and was told even when is non fault claim my premium will increase. That's a standard for insurance now. I'm really pissed off now.

Can you claim for the increase in premium as well its a direct cost due to their clients actions

I've tried all major comparison websites already and it's massive difference on the price . I'm so disappointed. Made few calls and asked why is like that and all of them said I'm in higher risk now.

I know that feeling. Going though some of that now and had in past. Makes me sick. Makes me want to sell bike.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

Yep standard practice even with protected no claims and a non blameworthy (ie a drink driver runs into your parked car on your own drive ...... not happened to me but it did to a work mate ) it is because they are a bunch of devious wormy tw*ts

I've tried all major comparison websites already and it's massive difference on the price . I'm so disappointed. Made few calls and asked why is like that and all of them said I'm in higher risk now.

I feel your pain. It was almost five years ago that my parked, unattended car was struck by a passing coach. No dramas, the driver stopped and had just made an error, and gave all details etc. I played by the rules and informed my own company, but then proceeded to deal directly with the coaches own insurance company to get the repairs sorted out to my satisfaction.

Since then I have been cursed with getting quotes, some companies are OK, but others are not. As I have bikes and cars and my wife has bikes and cars and I am named on her policies, it is a lot of hassle each year at each renewal time. I have done comparison quotes, both with and without divulging the claim, so are extortionate, some are minimal, all are an increase, except this year when going through the wife's bike renewal over the phone they were checking the facts back to me, when I mentioned it was a) on a car and b) a stationary parked car, loading was removed. I have previously explained all this but this was the first time it was wiped.

But thinking about this with hindsight, I would if these circumstances occurred again now; I would not inform my own insurance company; I would deal directly with the third partie's company (as their was an obvious and immediate admission of liability; The claim would be being made by their insured, the coach company, and they would pay for it against a policy issued to them.

Given the grief it has caused I would take my chances that this would never be linked either to me and my policy record. It would save me hours and hours of online searching for fair premium prices. I'm sure that will will have experts to tell me I will be breaking some policy detail or somehow being unfair to the insurance company, but after suffering all this crap - sorry I don't care.

The good news is that it will be over five years ago next month and I can then forget it :augie

I never tell my insurance company if its not my fault for exactly this reason.
Always deal directly with the at fault ins company or agree a cash deal - saves all this bullshit.

Or just lie and tell them you've had no accidents.

I never tell my insurance company if its not my fault for exactly this reason.
Always deal directly with the at fault ins company or agree a cash deal - saves all this bullshit.

Or just lie and tell them you've had no accidents.
Good luck with that if you have an accident and the ins company decide to get shirty.

Well, where is my fault when I was at home?

How to claim against that?

As Engineer said.
It is complete bullshit, but people just bend over and accept it.
In all fairness though: some insurance companies might decide to ignore the event and, thus, premium should be unaffected. Good luck quoting everywhere.

My wife and I now have our own policy that when insuring the car we only tell them about any claims on the car; and when insuring the bikes we only tell them about any claims on the bike.

Some insurance companies now ask about past "incidents" as distinct from accidents or claims. Incidents can be just about anything and if you ask them whether a specific thing is classed as an 'incident' it's too late - the cat is out of the bag!

Yes, they want you to report everything, no matter is for a car bike or boat, it's your or not your fault

My wife and I now have our own policy that when insuring the car we only tell them about any claims on the car; and when insuring the bikes we only tell them about any claims on the bike.
Failure to disclose a 'material fact'. Hope it works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom