Bye Bye GS, Hello V-Strom 650

Wolfgang

Reaction score
Sold the GS a week ago with a view to downsizing.
The shortlist was down to a Yamaha 700 Tracer or a Suzuki 650 V-Strom. Chose the V-Strom, better weather protection & seat.
Plus new Suzukis have a 3 yr. warranty.
A 230 mile ride back from Merseyside to London was great.
While the bike does n't float over the bumps quite like a GS does, it's very comfortable.
Suspension neither too hard or soft, it handles nicely.
The fuel economy's outstanding, nearly 70 mpg.
With a taller screen it will be perfect.
Try one, you won't be disappointed.:clap

Attachments

• 20170603_190843.jpg
    20170603_190843.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 945
The shortlist was down to a Yamaha 700 Tracer or a Suzuki 650 V-Strom. Chose the V-Strom, better weather protection & seat.
While the bike does n't float over the bumps quite like a GS does, it's very comfortable.
Try one, you won't be disappointed.:clap

Did you buy it from Millennium Motorcycles, St.Helens?
They do great deals on these, I almost bought one last year. A great all-rounder.

They are the most spacious of the middleweights by a fair degree. It is only the suspension that lets them down. I may splash out on a decent rear shock prior to my Spain trip later this year. They are remarkable value for money. I averaged 67 mpg fully laden, two up on my Los Picos trip last year. That was calculated and via the trip computer.

Did you buy it from Millennium Motorcycles, St.Helens?
They do great deals on these, I almost bought one last year. A great all-rounder.

Yes I did, they were a pleasure to deal with.
Alan & Kevin were great.
About £1500 less than anything I could find down here.

Bye Bye GS, Hello V-Strom 650
Try one, you won't be disappointed.

Yep, swapped my 2000gs for a Vstrom last week. Very pleased. It came with 3 Suzuki boxes, hand guards, and sump guard.
Rides and handles well (as did the GS). Only thing is the boxes are so wide I fear that filtering may be a thing of the past!
The OP may want to try one of those little deflector thingies before fitting a larger screen. Mine has one and visor open at 60mph is not a problem. I/m only 5ft 9" though.
Fitted a footpeg lowering kit immediately to ease the leg position - now more comfortable. Hugger and heated grips ordered to
complete the job.
200 hundred miles to first service and then off to the Alps hopefully.

Cheers all

The Givi screen is excellent for my. I am 5` 10`` tall. It is the screen of choice on the main forum
image_zpshwzswzwe.jpeg

image_zps8lfnqgzr.jpeg

Friend of mine took his on a Morocco trip last year ( I was on a Dakar) Was quicker on the road and more economical, but not as good off road.
That oil filter is very exposed at the front.

Some extra bits added..........

Front fender extender, Puig rear hugger & Heed engine bars.
Just the screen to come,Givi Airflow, & that's it.
Loving it.

Attachments

• 20170607_152427.jpg
    20170607_152427.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 655
  • 20170607_144109.jpg
    20170607_144109.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 676
So i've owned it a month.........

........and it's great.
Just about run in.
Moving the screen up has helped.Will try this at speed before I swap screens.
I have n't owned such a frugal machine since my Honda CB200, it sips petrol.
The horn is poxy, but it looks like you need to take the bike apart to fit a louder one.
Superb machine.:beerjug:

Hi Wolfgang

Great choice. i had one before the GS and did nearly 11000 miles in two years including 3 European tours. It was faultless. Touring MPG fully loaded was about 60MPG from memory. Had most of the extras you have fitted, but also a Kaoko throttle lock, which helps on the autobahns..If your not going off road change the tyres, the OEM tyres are crap!, i put Michelin PR4 trails on it transforms the bike

Lozza

whats the poke like on the motorway? Where does it feel like its too much. On the gs, although it'll do a ton, i always think it feels a bit laboured after 80. Not in the league of a k1200 if that makes sense? How does the wee one feel?

whats the poke like on the motorway? Where does it feel like its too much. On the gs, although it'll do a ton, i always think it feels a bit laboured after 80. Not in the league of a k1200 if that makes sense? How does the wee one feel?

I'll have it run in after this weekend,so will give it some berries.
I don't hoon around, 5k revs give 70 mph. It's really brisk off the mark too.
I would imagine it's not as quick two up, but that's rarely an issue for me.
Original tyres feel fine, handles perfectly.

Very cool :D seeing a few more Suzuki's on the road lately in adv trim great bit of kit

Back
Top Bottom