How accurate is the 'Total Time' of a route.

fantic156

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As a convert to BaseCamp having decided to give it a chance and learn how it works rather than diving in and expecting it to work how I want work, I'm now planning an trip through the alps with lots of Cols, Verdun, Mont Venteux and Millau. I've split the whole route into days and want to call on the knowledge of experienced users. If the total time for each day with out breaks, photos, petrol etc shows 5 1/2 hours is that realistic when riding cols and gorges or does it take longer? Does BaseCamp recognise the type of terrain and adjust average speed accordingly or just calculate using the same average speed regardless of hairpins?

The known speed limit of the road dictates the speed and time estimates.

Will you do 60 mph, the likely posted speed limit up the cols? Yes or no? You know the answer to that.

Will you do 60 mph, the likely posted speed limit on the open alpine stretches between the cols? Yes or no? You know the answer to that, too.

A pretty good real time moving average speed over a full'ish day in the mountains is 35 mph.

You can set BaseCamp so that it allows you to put in a stopped time at each and any point. For instance, if you know today that you plan on stopping at the top of col du whatever for half an hour to press wild flowers, you can amend the point so that you tell the software that you'll stop for half an hour. It will extend all the subsequent times by 30 minutes.

Only you know how fast you can ride, how often you'll stop, maybe even what the weather will be like on the day. The software does not know this, so it makes an vaguely educated guess. You can now do the same.

just to add if you were to keep to the set speeds it would be very accurate. just try it on a stretch of 70 mph m way from jct to jct you will see how accurate it is.

Back
Top Bottom