Route is longer in Nav V than it is in Basecamp

GarryM

Reaction score
I have created three routes in Basecamp all around 300 miles. When transferred to my Nav V and viewed from within Basecamp, all looks fine/exactly the same but when I look at the route on Trip Planner on the Nav V the distances all increase by about 15-20 miles but as far as I can tell, the route looks the same. Is this normal or is the Nav V adding something in? Maps and settings/avoidances are consistent. It may be that I've just never noticed it before but I know the time can change but didn't think distance would. Any help appreciated.

I've noticed there is sometimes a mile or two discrepancy between the route on PC and the route in the Nav V, but nowhere near 15-20 miles. Is there some dual carriageway/m-way where the route might be doubling back on itself?

It may be something like that but I would have thought that would show up on Basecamp - which it doesn't. It's also really hard to see on the Nav as zooming in to that detail on a 300 mile route is not easy at all. I had assumed if the route looked the same on Basecamp, i.e. selecting the route on the Nav V within Basecamp, then that's what I'd see when looking at the device. But I'm not and as you say 15-20 miles is a lot. Confusing!

Have you got your device's settings set to avoid something that the device is now, avoiding / routing you around?

Are all three three hundred mile routes showing the same discrepancy?

Care to share the routes with us, it would maybe save a lot of guessing.

Happy to share but don't know how to. I guess that is explained somewhere so I will look it up.
I have no avoidances on Basecamp or Nav. I take it that this really shouldn't happen so there must be an error somewhere.

Hi Garry,
In my experience, which is limited, and I'm a bit of a techno numpty, If your settings and maps in Basecamp and your device differ in anyway, and in my mind and as Wapping has suggested, the mileage will show differently. So your device has calculated a different route to the one you transferred from Basecamp.

Sometimes it's not such a problem as the routes are so similar you don't really notice. But equally, sometimes it can take you on a completely different route.

Have a look on You Tube, search for 1983lparker He has done a series of 5 very easy to follow videos about Basecamp. One of them is about getting your settings on Basecamp and your device married.

Not sure of your abilities and apologise if I'm doing you a disservice, but I struggled with Basecamp ever since it was introduced, but this guy has enable me to at least plot a route of my liking, and transfer that EXACT route to my device.

videos are a sticky at the top of the basecamp page and very useful they are too

are the map versions the same on the device and basecamp. ? What profile have you got set in basecamp?

Have you tried recalculating the route in Basecamp. I used to do this a lot to check if my routes (usually made in Mapsource) were OK to share to others. Doing a recalculate is a good way of checking you have enough fixed points to ensure the route works as intended.

John

Thanks for the replies. I will sort out the dropbox thing in a minute. I watched the videos and I followed the advice when plotting the routes. Basecamp and the Nav are set to Motorcycle but in both cases I have customised the settings so that all avoidances are off. Both Basecamp and Nav have the latest map 2018.10. I plotted shaping points regularly - not every half mile but I would think enough to avoid any device calculating alternative routes if the settings are consistent. I have added waypoints for coffee/fuel/lunch/tea stops in addition to the start and finish. I pressed the 'recalculation' button in Basecamp frequently.

Err, a light bulb has just come on... When I open one of these trips on the Nav it shows a distance but if I then press the 'map' button and then select 'review trip' from the menu, it shows the correct, shorter distance! (for two of the three routes anyway, the third says it's 3 miles shorter.) Does this make any sense?

I'm clearly very dim but would you mind explaining why it shows the two distances?

If someone has the time, I have created a link to one of my routes in Dropbox (I am hoping 'a link' is the right option):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgpgcpki2xun0xf/Wales Day 1.gpx?dl=0

For me, it has one distance on Basecamp (about 270 miles - I don't have BC on this PC or my Nav with me at the moment), a different distance (about 285 miles) when selected in the Trip Planner app and then yet another distance (about 267 miles) when I 'Review Trip' within Trip Planner. It's a bit annoying when gizmos behave oddly - because usually it means I have done something wrong but the inconsistency here is baffling.

I don't want to waste anyone's time but I'd be interested in someone else's view. Thanks!

If someone has the time, I have created a link to one of my routes in Dropbox (I am hoping 'a link' is the right option):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgpgcpki2xun0xf/Wales Day 1.gpx?dl=0

For me, it has one distance on Basecamp (about 270 miles - I don't have BC on this PC or my Nav with me at the moment), a different distance (about 285 miles) when selected in the Trip Planner app and then yet another distance (about 267 miles) when I 'Review Trip' within Trip Planner. It's a bit annoying when gizmos behave oddly - because usually it means I have done something wrong but the inconsistency here is baffling.

I don't want to waste anyone's time but I'd be interested in someone else's view. Thanks!

map in basecamp 2018.1 maps is 269 miles. 93 via points set to fastest route, avoid unpaved roads only
viewed on device connected to basecamp with maps 2018.1 (transferred route) route shows 269 miles
viewed on device in trip planner it shows 283 miles. nav set to faster time, maps 2018.10 , avoidance's only unpaved roads..
optimise rouite order in 590 lm shows 228 miles if that helps any?

imported into itn converter (uses google maps) route has 93 points and is 269 miles

Thanks for doing that. The first two distances of 269 miles are consistent with my experience and, like me, you see 283 in Trip Planner. If you then looked at 'Review Route' in Trip Planner I bet you'd see something like 266 miles. Seems very odd to me.

Just tried your route in BC and MS and also transfered it to a zumo 550 and a zumo 660 and also a nuvi 675 and the route in both BC and MS gave me a distance of 269 miles but when transfered to any of the units it gives a distance of 275.8 miles, so a small difference, i will look at this to see if i can see why.

Using 2018.1 maps NT in all units and software and working on pc not mac.

Ok had a quick look at the route after transfer and can see at least 1 problem and thats between llwyn-y-gog and Aberhosan, whats the cause of this i can not tell and it may not even occur on your device when transfered but it may be there. picture below, and as i have said i have no clue as to why this would occur on my devices, it may be just some sort of anomally in that part of the map.

Attachments

• 2017-06-12 15.59.51.jpg
    2017-06-12 15.59.51.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 208

Back
Top Bottom