Help!! Loose Headlamp

Chisurz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just fitting a new screen to the 2002 F650GS belonging to SWMBO and I noticed that the headlamp appeared to be out of alignment....

Further checking and I think that the righthand mounting screw is not fixed to anything... From what I can tell, there are three mounting screws - is that correct? One either side and one at the bottom.

Now, two questions here:

Firstly, how do I re-attach the loose mount?

Secondly, any idea how it could have come loose?

The particular difficulty that I have is that my big hands do not have much space in front of the forks, behind the headlamp. So, guessing I'm going to have to dismantle something, can anyone tell me what the sequence is...

Thanks

You've probably pushed too hard on the head lamp.

The adjuster is a ball and socket fitting and you've probably dislocated it. If you push the headlamp unit from the back if you're lucky it will just pop back in and stay there. If you're not so lucky like me, you will find that although it pops back in ok when you get to about 80 mph or hit a bump the light will jump back out again. To rectify this you have to remove the headlamp unit by dimantaling most of the front end of the bike.

The problem with mine was that the socket was baggy, I would say worn but it dosn't move, I suppose the correct form of action would be to get a new one but as these things are usually sorted when the dealers are shut I've stuck mine in with super glue and it has held for over 6 months now.

Don't panic if you can't do it immediately you can run around quite happy with it like this it won't fall out, it just gives you a wobbly light output.

I'll try the 'push it back in' method first, as I don't fancy having to explain to the owner (SWMBO) that I've taken the front end apart, don't know how to get it back together!!

I guess that Tiff's magic wire is something that can only be done when the front end is dismantled....?

Cheers

Chisurz said:
Firstly, how do I re-attach the loose mount?

Secondly, any idea how it could have come loose?

This has happened to me twice on my 04 650, both times after some rocky off-roading.
You can feel the ball joint by just wiggling the headlamp unit, then a gentle push slots the light back in place.
Good luck with it.

G C

Chisurz said:

I guess that Tiff's magic wire is something that can only be done when the front end is dismantled....?

Cheers
Only needs the screen off.

This was the first repair underway in Bordeaux. The wire had to be wrapped arond the lug on the headlight and then around the nearest screen retaining bolt.

Not sure if the 'bra-wire' later repair was done the same way!

Bert (looking over my shoulder) would have taken over from me had it been a bra wire on this occasion!:D

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 123
If I have to do the 'bra-wire' version, I promise I'll have a camera pointing at my wife's face when I tell her about it!

Is this the biker equivalent of the old 'tights-for-fan-belt' cage driver fix??

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom