Zumo 590LM Mounting

RugbyPod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK, so after my recent 2010 R1200GS purchase, I decided to switch my Zumo (590LM) across. However, I saw lots of different info about differing mounts needed etc, so initially looked at buying one for over the clocks.

I then thought to try the original RAM mount that came with the Zumo, and that appears to mount fine over the clocks with the 'direct to battery' mount now attached.

1). Am I missing something? Is there an issue with doing this? Seems to be a lot of expensive 'solutions' online to a problem I think I'm missing.

2). I also purchased one of the NN Canbus Zumo cables for £19, but ended up going direct to the battery with the fused cable that came with the Zumo. Is this an issue?

Thanks
Peter

as long as it's solid and the mount doesn't wobble it will be fine... are you talking mounting on the GSA screen bar?

as far as the direct to battery issue, I prefer to connect to a switched live so it will switch off shortly after the ignition is turned off, saves any chance of draining the battery ....the can bus lead you mention would facilitate this :thumb

Thanks Bryn. The mount is solid and is mounted on the bar above the GS clocks (not GSA). I was just confused as there is so many threads about the extra mounts and which is best. Thought there might be an issue with the regular RAM mount that came with the SatNav.

I see what you mean about the power issues. At present I try to make sure I remove it each time I stop (both for battery and theft). I can see it being an issue with battery drain though. So the cable I bought may have to be installed this weekend.

On the power side of things, if I turn the satnav off, does that have zero battery drain? Or is there some minimal drain, like a TV in standby?

Thanks Bryn. The mount is solid and is mounted on the bar above the GS clocks (not GSA). I was just confused as there is so many threads about the extra mounts and which is best. Thought there might be an issue with the regular RAM mount that came with the SatNav.

I see what you mean about the power issues. At present I try to make sure I remove it each time I stop (both for battery and theft). I can see it being an issue with battery drain though. So the cable I bought may have to be installed this weekend.

On the power side of things, if I turn the satnav off, does that have zero battery drain? Or is there some minimal drain, like a TV in standby?

The way you have installed is exactly as I did on 2 GS,s and 1 GSA, I have a 660 however and I know for a fact there is no drain on the battery when the device is off the mount, the newer Garmins however, yours included AFAIK there is drain but it is miniscule, my mate has the 395 and I fitted it for him as you did and if there is a drain it hasnt caused him any issues.
Hope that helps:thumb

The way you have installed is exactly as I did on 2 GS,s and 1 GSA, I have a 660 however and I know for a fact there is no drain on the battery when the device is off the mount, the newer Garmins however, yours included AFAIK there is drain but it is miniscule, my mate has the 395 and I fitted it for him as you did and if there is a drain it hasnt caused him any issues.
Hope that helps:thumb

Hi Pablo1, thanks for your reply.

So there will be a very slight drain when the 590LM is off the mount? So far it's been fine, but only been on for about 5 days. I'll hold off linking it up via the NN Can-Bus cable for now as it all seems to be working. Only annoyance is the multitude of cables coming off the mount that you can't remove. So far I have them tucked away down the side of one of the fairing panels and cable tied. Fingers crossed they stay put eh!

What about when it is in the mount but turned off, is there a more significant drain then?

Back
Top Bottom