640 adv in kit form

No 58,

Prolly just the camera, but that cam looks as if it has two bands of pitting round it ??

Nice one Mikey, looks like you were just in time with the cam followers :D

What make of gaskets set are you using?
I'm interested in what you've decided as I'm tearing mine down for a new piston etc this winter.

Nice one Mikey, looks like you were just in time with the cam followers :D

What make of gaskets set are you using?
I'm interested in what you've decided as I'm tearing mine down for a new piston etc this winter.
Genuine ktm.
They do a full gasket set that includes absolutely everything,about £160.
But it is everything:thumb
(Includes coolant pump seals)

Genuine ktm.
They do a full gasket set that includes absolutely everything,about £160.
But it is everything:thumb
(Includes coolant pump seals)

Yep, that figures and it's what I'll use.
Managed to a get a new OEM piston for £80 recently :)

Yep, that figures and it's what I'll use.
Managed to a get a new OEM piston for £80 recently :)

Be interested to know what mileage the piston being swapped out has done? From what I can see these engines have good endurance apart from the camshaft/rocker arm rollers and water pump seal.

Around 35k of hard riding but I have the fcr carb which may give the piston crown a harder time.

I use the bike almost exclusively for bigish trips so always needs to be 100% reliable oh and I'm being inquisitive :)

Water pump and cam followers were changed a while ago but will also be renewed again. New sprag clutch earlier this year as a precaution.

Around 35k of hard riding but I have the fcr carb which may give the piston crown a harder time.

I use the bike almost exclusively for bigish trips so always needs to be 100% reliable oh and I'm being inquisitive :)

Water pump and cam followers were changed a while ago but will also be renewed again. New sprag clutch earlier this year as a precaution.

Many thanks for the feed back Tim, I've just been to Spain (Pyrenees) on my 640A bike was faultless and once on the trails and tracks it all makes sense. My 07 with just 6K miles was checked over by Mikeyboy prior to leaving, top end was okay but as precaution Mike fitted new water pump shaft and seal. My bike has standard carb but I do have an FCR in stock.

A well set up fcr transforms the bike but I believe can overfill the combustion chamber leading to detonation.
So it needs to be the high flow engine running g an open exhaust but without opening the intake too much, although I used to run it open its now standard intake with the snorkel refitted. Possibly fitting the ignition box from a 625 which has fcr as standard would improve things but I've not had reason to try that.

My fcr also has a JD needle and the squirt duration adjusted correctly.....I hope :D

Many thanks for the feed back Tim, I've just been to Spain (Pyrenees) on my 640A bike was faultless and once on the trails and tracks it all makes sense. My 07 with just 6K miles was checked over by Mikeyboy prior to leaving, top end was okay but as precaution Mike fitted new water pump shaft and seal. My bike has standard carb but I do have an FCR in stock.
Another precautionary thing is to strip the starter motor and give the brushes a once over:thumb
When Andys bike was in the workshop the starter packed up,a quick strip down revealed stuck brushes.
An inoperative starter would be a right pain in the butt on the trails:eek:

Another precautionary thing is to strip the starter motor and give the brushes a once over:thumb
When Andys bike was in the workshop the starter packed up,a quick strip down revealed stuck brushes.
An inoperative starter would be a right pain in the butt on the trails:eek:

Yes, my solenoid packed up whilst leading a trail ride in N Wales a couple of years ago and whist they will start fairly easily with the kickstart, I soon whipped the side panel off and shorted the the solenoid with a spanner :D

But thanks for the reminder, I'll fit new brushes too :beerjug:

Started fitting freshly painted bodywork today,
And the wiring harness.
Then a customer started nosing around it and promptly bought it:thumb
Best pull my finger out and get it finished:D

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 320