Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Screen advice...

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'm 6ft 1in and ride a 2010 GS. After a few years of constant buffering and wind noise, I decided to look into getting a different screen. After much research, on here and other sites, I eventually opted for the Givi AF330 screen. What a transformation. Buffering has considerably reduced to such an extent that I spend most of my riding time with my visor up, even at the higher speeds. I would recommend the Givi without hesitation.

07875 304772
    I've had X-creen extenders, and a few different screens... now I'm on a standard screened 2010 GSA.... and just ordered a sheet of 2mm acrylic 300mm x 100mm... and I'm going to make a spoiler out of that.... total cost will be £3 Hoping it doesn't look shit, but function over form eh

Quote Originally Posted by Sauners View Post
    I'm 6ft 1in and ride a 2010 GS. After a few years of constant buffering and wind noise, I decided to look into getting a different screen. After much research, on here and other sites, I eventually opted for the Givi AF330 screen. What a transformation. Buffering has considerably reduced to such an extent that I spend most of my riding time with my visor up, even at the higher speeds. I would recommend the Givi without hesitation.
    Someone else mentioned the Givi, but for the price I opted for the NN SUPER HIGH WIDE SCREEN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
    I've had X-creen extenders, and a few different screens... now I'm on a standard screened 2010 GSA.... and just ordered a sheet of 2mm acrylic 300mm x 100mm... and I'm going to make a spoiler out of that.... total cost will be £3 Hoping it doesn't look shit, but function over form eh
    Form over function indeed. You'll have to post how you get on!

Ok, so I've just done North Shropshire to East Birmingham. A few country twisters and lots of motorway.

Firstly, the Grip Buddies! Super easy to fit as the are a flat piece of neoprene that is already cut to size, and it just wraps around the standard grip. Initially fastens with a strip of sticky tape, then with Velcro. They build up the grip really nice for bigger hands. Way more comfortable and stems a few of the vibes coming through.

The screen has made a huge difference. Riding was a tad different to just sitting on it and I ended up moved my the screen to it's highest setting. At 6ft 2ins, I can just see over the top. Bit of a distorted view as I filtered through some M6 traffic at slower speeds, so wing mirrors weren't as easy to negotiate. But the wind buffeting has been massively reduced and I can ride at 70-80mph with my modular open and sun visor up.

It does seem to create more 'up draft' though and a few times felt dust or particles being blown up under the sun visor when it was down.

07875 304772
    Just got the acrylic delivered, and cut to size..I tried to follow the shape of the original screen top.There's an approx 10mm spacer between the spoiler and the screen, Rubber well nuts through drilled holes in the screen , and the spoiler bolted through .. and this is the result.... I don't think it looks too bad Will see what difference it makes tomorrow on a ride over to Wellsbourne for breakfast

IMG_1104

IMG_1105

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    +1 on givi

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Looks like a top job!

07875 304772
    Quote Originally Posted by PAD20959 View Post
    Looks like a top job!
    Certainly seemed to make a difference on the ride yesterday

Looks bloody good for a DIY job- well impressed. Where did you source the plastic glass/acrylic? And what is a well nut?

07875 304772
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweaty Sock View Post
    Looks bloody good for a DIY job- well impressed. Where did you source the plastic glass/acrylic? And what is a well nut?
    Ebay for the acrylic.... if I was to do it again I'd go for 3mm thick , rather than 2mm. but saying that the 2mm doesn't flex or wobble in the wind..... 300mm x 100mm is what I ordered for £3 delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2mm-CLEAR-...72.m2749.l2649

A well nut is a rubber covered threaded nut. Once the screen is drilled to the right size it pushes through, and then when you screw a bolt into it, the rubber compresses behind the screen and locks it into position.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-M4-M5-M...HX0-7nx_gTNT6w

Thanks Bryn, the rubber nut thing sounds like a nut/grommet hybrid- in fact more like a rawplug/rivet- will check that out.
    Might have a go at making my own winglets too if I can steal my wife's hairdryer to bend the plastic with.

07875 304772
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweaty Sock View Post
    Thanks Bryn, the rubber nut thing sounds like a nut/grommet hybrid- in fact more like a rawplug/rivet- will check that out.
    Might have a go at making my own winglets too if I can steal my wife's hairdryer to bend the plastic with.
    Don't forget the photo's...... meanwhile I've ordered a bit of 300mm x 200mm 3mm acrylic to make a taller thicker one , another £4.50

Don't forget the photo's...... meanwhile I've ordered a bit of 300mm x 200mm 3mm acrylic to make a taller thicker one , another £4.50
    I've made these in the past. Gone into the local plastics supplier and asked if I can rummage through his scrap bin. The local guy just gives it to me! I always offer to pay.

I found the best for bending was a halogen hob. Wife now has an induction hob so have to use a heat gun. Problem with that it is too easy to overheat the plastic and bubble the surface.

What did you use to cut it. It looks a very neat job.

Tom

07875 304772
    Quote Originally Posted by sanqhar View Post
    I've made these in the past. Gone into the local plastics supplier and asked if I can rummage through his scrap bin. The local guy just gives it to me! I always offer to pay.

I found the best for bending was a halogen hob. Wife now has an induction hob so have to use a heat gun. Problem with that it is too easy to overheat the plastic and bubble the surface.

What did you use to cut it. It looks a very neat job.

Tom
    Cut it with a dremel with a cutting wheel, then smoothed with a foam sanding block.. the 2mm bends easily enough to not have to heat it, but still rock steady up to 80
    I've sandwiched it between two 25mm washers to give it a bit of strength

I'm hoping I can get the same finish on 3mm acrylic

Cut it with a dremel with a cutting wheel, then smoothed with a foam sanding block.. the 2mm bends easily enough to not have to heat it, but still rock steady up to 80
    I've sandwiched it between two 25mm washers to give it a bit of strength

I'm hoping I can get the same finish on 3mm acrylic
    Thanks,
    I've never used a dremel. Used a jigsaw but it can rip the plastic, depends on the blade.
    Tom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast