Roadlok spacers

fatnfast

Reaction score
Jus received my new roadlock caliper lock from the US.
I know I'm being lazy, but can anyone tell me what size spacers they used?
It only came with one set of replacement caliper bolts and no shims. I assume this is correct?
Cheers.

Sorry fnf, I don't know the answer...but, if you don't mind me asking, how much was it to ship in from the USA.

After loads of emails going backwards and forwards, they eventually told me to use the smallest spacers.

When I say me, I mean Bahnstormers.

Love it though. My sister lived in New York till January this year so I got it delivered to her.

Thanks chaps.
Batman, it cost $225 dollars including shipping. There seem to be no UK suppliers anymore.

Danny, I fitted it today, but I'm not happy with the reluctance for the locking pin to release. There was a bag with two small spacers and two long bolts. No other bolts, despite what it said in the instructions, so I assumed these must be for the gs. I haven't a clue why two (smallest) spacers were in the same bag. They are not big enough to be used. Following the instructions I used set 'E' spacers as the closest I could get to aligning the locking pin with a hole in the disc (whilst still ensuring enough of the new caliper bolts thread was used to secure it to the caliper).
It located ok, but is reluctant to release without wiggling the wheel and turning the lock key, which is a pain in the arse. I'm guessing if they had included the shims I could improve this.
I'm waiting for a response from them. Beautifully made though!

Received mine last week with one set of 90mm bolts and 5mm shims + spacers. Bolts should be 85mm hence the shims, was told they were waiting for 85mm bolts to come in stock, so they sent 90mm with shims. However, I bought two x 85mm bolts and fitted smallest spacers 'A' ad mine works fine and fits close to the calliper on 2017 R1200GSA. I know I could have asked for correct bolts to be sent, but couldn't be bothered to contact them and wait.

Here's my set up with the 'E' marked spacers and fitted as per their instructions. I found the pin will release ok with a shove on the wheel. Locks into a brake disc hole cleanly. I can't see how the smaller spacer could be used as the lock body wouldn't clear the caliper. With this set up it's easy to clean the caliper, change pads etc.

Here the small unmarked spacer supplied with the single set of bolts in a bag.:nenau

Check you've got enough thread in the caliper. I used the smallest spacers and that worked perfectly. The bigger spacers reduced the amount of thread in the caliper mount by too much. It's covered in the instructions.

Here's my set up with the 'E' marked spacers and fitted as per their instructions. I found the pin will release ok with a shove on the wheel. Locks into a brake disc hole cleanly. I can't see how the smaller spacer could be used as the lock body wouldn't clear the caliper. With this set up it's easy to clean the caliper, change pads etc.

Here the small unmarked spacer supplied with the single set of bolts in a bag.:nenau

Check you've got enough thread in the caliper. I used the smallest spacers and that worked perfectly. The bigger spacers reduced the amount of thread in the caliper mount by too much. It's covered in the instructions.

Thanks, yes plenty of thread, as said, I followed there instructions to the letter.:thumb2

Guys, I don't know if I've got this horribly wrong, but I came across this today while I fitted my Roadlok to my GSA.

Firstly, I ordered the BMW Kit, as the caliper bolts are a specific thread type to BMW. Which is why Roadlok ask you to specify BMW when ordering the Roadlok kit. Don't go fitting any old bolts, as the thread type may cause thread damage in your forks.

The Roadlok Owner Ian McCarthy said this to me in an email "BMW bikes use coarse thread mounting bolts (1.5mm), whereas all other bikes use a finer thread (1.25mm). Attempting to use the wrong mounting hardware will strip out your fork, so please be sure the kit contains the right type."

So... I also got the two spacers in with the two BMW bolts. Separate from the extra pack of spacers.

I too, wondered why the extra two spacers... these ones...

Well I think I know why.

The procedure was to unbolt the original caliper bolts and rest them loosely (in situ) against the start of the thread. Then measure the thread gap you would need as a minimum (mine measured 16.8mm with a vernier gauge).

Once I'd fitted my spacer for the pin alignment, the bolt gap was way more than 16.8mm that I needed. So those two spacers are for the head of the bolts, to ensure you have the RIGHT AMOUNT OF GAP...

If you don't use them, (depending how big the spacers were that you used) the bolt could be driven too far into the caliper and the top bolt will not tighten correctly as it hits the thread stop. So you may get a false torque reading.

Look at the picture below. The top bolt protrudes out more than the bottom bolt. That's because the top bolt may have hit the end of its available thread and might actually not be sited correctly.

The two spacers allow the correct room for the bolts to be seated with proper torque grip.

I measured mine, and although my bolts don't sit flush with the Roadlock body, they are inserted to the correct depth of thread (17mm) and torqued up correctly.

When I tried it without the spacers, both bolts torqued correctly, but as in the picture above, they were not at the same level. So I unbolted the bottom bolt, and the top bolt was loose. It was hitting it's thread stop (too deep).

Anyways.... this is how mine looks, and all the bolts torqued up properly and with those spacers in place, the gap was correct as originally measured :augie

Attachments

• Roadlok 1.jpg
    Roadlok 1.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1,651
  • Roadlok 2.jpg
    Roadlok 2.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1,780
"Send them the 90mm fixings and a spacer, that'll do." Not sure that's the kind of thinking I'd want on what is essentially a £200 disc lock attached to my calipers.

"Send them the 90mm fixings and a spacer, that'll do." Not sure that's the kind of thinking I'd want on what is essentially a £200 disc lock, attached to my calipers.

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, but are you trolling or do you have a valid point to make here? What are you seeing that I'm not seeing?

It's torqued down correctly and because of the variable length's needed to get the pin through the disc correctly, spacers are needed.

But if you see something catastrophic here, then yes I'd like to know about it before I take the bike out.

Are you trolling or do you have a valid point to make here? What are you seeing that I'm not seeing?

"Received mine last week with one set of 90mm bolts and 5mm shims + spacers. Bolts should be 85mm hence the shims, was told they were waiting for 85mm bolts to come in stock, so they sent 90mm with shims."

"Received mine last week with one set of 90mm bolts and 5mm shims + spacers. Bolts should be 85mm hence the shims, was told they were waiting for 85mm bolts to come in stock, so they sent 90mm with shims."

Right ok,

So what's the problem using 90mm bolts? Anything?

Right ok,

So what's the problem using 90mm bolts? Anything?

No idea but would it be unreasonable to expect them to provide it with the correct length of bolt in the first place or provide clearer fitting instructions instead of sending a bag of spacers and incorrectly sized bolts?

Never mind, it's not like you're attaching this to an important part of the bike or anything.

No idea but would it be unreasonable to expect them to provide it with the correct length of bolt in the first place or provide clearer fitting instructions instead of sending a bag of spacers and incorrectly sized bolts?

Never mind, it's not like you're attaching this to an important part of the bike or anything.

No I do understand that.

But you are two paces ahead of me as I didn't know there were other options involved. So being sarcastic isn't helping me understand things clearly is it?

But yes, you are right, if the bolts should be 85mm then that's a poor fix as far as I'm concerned as well.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll email him and see what he has to say about it.

(I'm more concerned that people are fitting oversize bolts without using the spacers, as there might be a risk they are not tight enough).

I've emailed Ian McCarthy and will let you know what his reply is :rolleyes:

No I do understand that.

So being sarcastic isn't helping me understand things clearly is it?

Admittedly it's generally not my style.

But I am somewhat surprised that you're questioning it's presence on here so have one of these ;) and one of these for good measure :thumb

If that comes across as sarcastic I apologise. Oh ffs now I sound sarcastic, have another one...no stop!

Admittedly it's generally not my style.

But I am somewhat surprised that you're questioning it's presence on here so have one of these ;) and one of these for good measure :thumb

If that comes across as sarcastic I apologise. Oh ffs now I sound sarcastic, have another one...no stop!

Apology accepted.

I lose my humour very quickly when it comes to motorcycle safety (brakes)...

So what have you done with your kit then?

Sorry about the photo size, but hopefully it shows that the bolts are equal lengths into the caliper.
Fitting the supposed shims, which are the same size, won't change this will it. The bolts are the correct depth into the caliper with the spacers I used. As one of yours bottomed out, then as you realise, you had fitted them wrong. Look at their website and you will see the heads protrude just like mine.
I would not use their bodge of additional spacers (shims) on my brakes in the way you have.
I found it works fine (and has been for a couple of thousand miles) with it's current configuration.

Daxxar has valid points. I found their sales and delivery brilliant. Their after sales pretty rubbish. I hope you get an answer to your emails, I didn't.

Oh, and the scratch on my hand aces all your security. It's from Bear , my puppy Rottweiler :thumb

Back
Top Bottom