Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sgt Blco's USA Coast to Coast 2017

Dream Maker
    Up nice and early thanks to a small dose of jet lag and everyone had rolled in the previous evening. A quick mosy down the road to the excellent Roosters for brekkie and much merryment ensued at my choice of Yoghurt, Granola and fruit. I've done this many times and I know there are only so many full on US breakfasts the waistline can take so I'll happily have my almost healthy option.

A stroll back to the hotel past these parked fella's and get used to seeing a few trucks on this report. Once a trucker, always a trucker.

Over to the warehouse to collect the last of the mighty steeds which were stored safely in the warehouse and as I said to everyone, these trips aren't just thrown together. I also had to put all my loading straps, wheel chocks on a pallet for shipment to Santa Rosa for reloading. The US pallet network is sketchy at best so fingers crossed it gets there!!

I shipped a couple of bikes out for people doing their own thing and this guy is off an a real adventure. He only passed his test in January and this Africa Twin is his first bike. he's basically saved all his money for the last 3 years and he's off to Alaska and then down to the southern tip of Argentina so a hell of a trip. He will ride until his money runs out which will hopefull last him. He's a really top guy who just decided what he wanted to do, worked hard for for it and now he's off. Good luck Tom. A few last minute additions to his bike and then off.

We had a quick ride around to get the guys used to riding in the US and of course we stumbled across a gun shop. It was basically a Go Outdoors store with a small countries armoury on the back wall. What will it be sir? New walking shoes, pack of trail mix, a Glock and an M16.............. Jesus H, no wonder they have issues!!

Just got back to the hotel before huge thunderstorm rolled in. There was some serious rain falling out of teh sky and it went from a 33 degree bright sunny day to cold wet and dark in minutes. Hopefully it will pass soon so we can scuttle across the road to the bar for a couple of scoops. Off on the trip proper in the morning.

www.unchainedtours.com

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope.
    With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.
    If you have hope, you have everything."

http://www.unchainedtours.com

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Brill!! I'm in too

Looking forward to this.

Beaky Farkler Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'm in too

Ahh, you're bringing back memories of 2015, I hope you get the smashing weather we had then

Phil.

Dream Maker
    So here is this years small group. I had a couple more bikes in teh container but they have gone off to to their own thing.

We have Andrew and Christine on a Crosstourer, Richard on his S10, Jonathan on his GSA, Peter and his buddy Tony on his GSA and Keith on his GSA.

So we head of from Virginia Beach and head down to Kitty Hawk and then the site of mans first flight. Fascinating place despite the vistor centre being closed and it's hard to believe all this happend just over a century ago. In fact from the time the Wright brothers did their first powered flight in 1903, it was only 66 years until Neil Armstrong walked on the moon!! Unbelievable progress. Because teh centre was closed, teh rangers were doing talks outside and thankfully in the shade!!

Then it was time to dip our tootsies in teh Atlantic as we will do teh same on teh Pacific Coast in 20 days. Lovely warm sea and it was a pity we could get more time on the beach.

Luckily, my uncanny ability to find Ice Cream and Milkshake bars hasn't deserted me. This adventure riding is tough I tell you!!

Then it was off into North Carolina in 33 degree heat and very high humidity but a really nice ride. Stopped for a cool down at an abondoned gas station and there are a lot of abandoned businesses and houses here which I guess is a sign of the times

Greyhound buses are still running and seemingly still very popular

Checking for wifi in the restaurant last night and I think we are being watched........

www.unchainedtours.com

I do love a good trip report.

Good luck to Tom on his adventure. Does he have a blog/website ?

I knew Orville couldn't fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Bilco View Post

Greyhound buses are still running and seemingly still very popular
    As a trucker I thought you might have noticed that Greyhound and some others run VanHool Belgium built buses. I think they still sell around 600 or more per year to the Yanks

Watch out for the b'stards they're out to get you

Very jealous, will be following this thread.

Dream Maker
    Sorry folks but it's been a busy few days with some great riding and dodging the storms. Anyway, nice ride over the the Blue Ridge Parkway and our cracking little hotel in a place called Roaring Gap. Nothing there apart from a hotel, agolf course and a store which sold everything including Pizza and beer so we lucked out.

The golf course next door looked magnificent and I wished I'd got my 9 iron to drill a shot t 3 feet from the flag!!

Next morning and we woke to find the mountains shrouded in fog but it looked like it may clear.

Onto the Parkway and yep, it cleared after aboyt an hour and as usual on teh Blue Ridge, there are stunning views all round. The road is closed to commercial traffic and during the week it's very quiet. The speed limit is 40mph but you can sit at 50-55mph no problem and makes for some great riding.

A nice bit of relatively recent history along the way

After a great 150 miles on the Parkway we called into a superb museum in Maggie Valley called Wheels through Time https://wheelsthroughtime.com. If you are ever in the area it's well worth a visit. It's all American metal and mostly HD but none the worse for that as they have some really rare kit in there and the best thing is, it is all as they have bought it and it all starts. A pal of mine Andy works there and you may get a bit of a discount for being from the mother country as well as a guided tour.

A WW11 HD boxer engine which was based on a Zundapp. They made about 1000 for the US military but didn't continue after the war because of the anti German feeling.

Andy giving us a guided tour

Some bikes for the Gnarley boys to drool over.....

Apparently one of the rarest American bikes.

Plenty of cars as well and this was Steve McQueens Cadillac.

Big old red barge

And some really interesting kit

As I said, well worth a visit if you are evr this way.

www.unchainedtours.com

Keep up the great 'work'.
    Why so serious ?

Chris,

Someone seems to be travelling extremely 'lite'!

Have they got their own service barge following up at the rear?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks to be the beginnings of an amazing trip. I'd love to do similar but sadly it'll always be out of reach for me.

Keep it coming...

Moto museum looks fantastic, would love to see it one day. Another one added to the list

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Bilco View Post

We had a quick ride around to get the guys used to riding in the US and of course we stumbled across a gun shop. It was basically a Go Outdoors store with a small countries armoury on the back wall. What will it be sir? New walking shoes, pack of trail mix, a Glock and an M16.............. Jesus H, no wonder they have issues!!

Oh I don't know.....maybe you can work out your issues easier over there.

https://youtu.be/YZCnR2tRN-k
    Why so serious ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast